Toribash
Original Post
[REL] Arcade Basketball & Rodeo, perfect for your Friday nights at the bar
-
Two new mods, much more multiplayer friendly this time !

They have some elements that can be a bit hard to grasp for a newer player, but I think that anyone can pick up how to play either in a couple of rounds, and, hopefully, have fun doing so !

Arcade_basketball.tbm

Compete to score twice as fast as possible !

Winning conditions as follow :

- First one to score twice wins
- If both scored once by the end of the match, it's a draw
- If only one player scored, he/she wins
- If no player scored it's a draw
- If someone drops one of his/her balls on the ground, the other one wins

Tidbits of info :
  1. Because of the way triggers work at the moment, I had to make a "point counter" completely mechanical, relying on weights. As a result, it may take a couple of spaces to register a point properly, and it might in somewhat rare cases get stuck. (And a huge thanks to Dabarrett who gave me great insights on how to devise those structures)
  2. Only the left hand is suited for throwing, use the right one for balance or to reposition the ball in your hand ! The upper boddies follow mostly the work of the GodTeam in gtfastbreak.tbm and their other basketball mods, which work incredibly well for the task.
  3. I can't wait for better triggers so I can make this happen

Replay (On arcade_basketball_wip.tbm)

Screenshots

--

cowboy_rodeo.tbm

Stay as long as you can on those mechanical horses, you may not want to fall on the bouncy mat.

Winning conditions as follow :

- Touching the mat with your pecs/neck/chest/lumbar/abs/glutes will disqualify you.
- Touching outside, or any of the four invisible walls will disqualify you.

Titbits of info :
  1. It's a bouncy mat.
  2. Beware of your midsection, knees and elbows, they break easily.
  3. Only the black handle is grabbable.
  4. Someone with self-respect does it one handed.

Screenshots

[B][POC] Pistons 2.0[/B]

Attached Files
Arcade_Basketball.tbm (34.2 KB, 26 views)
cowboy_rodeo.tbm (43.0 KB, 15 views)
Last edited by DashSora; Aug 13, 2016 at 02:23 PM.
These are both terrific! Great job

As well made as they are I don't feel like either of them are super fun to play for a longer duration, the rodeo one is hella difficult because of the DMs and the basketball gets monotone really fast.

Incredibly impressive mechanics at play here, well done
Originally Posted by jisse View Post
These are both terrific! Great job

As well made as they are I don't feel like either of them are super fun to play for a longer duration, the rodeo one is hella difficult because of the DMs and the basketball gets monotone really fast.

Incredibly impressive mechanics at play here, well done

Thank you very much Jisse

While it's true that those are not mods to be played on a daily basis, they were never really aimed at that anyways : It was more a challenge to myself as a modmaker, first, and then to the rest of the community to tackle those new mechanics, while (again, hopefully) having fun !

I can definitely understand that the arcade_basketball one will become monotone fairly fast tho, especially alone, or with someone that's not as good as you are. But that doesn't stop you from trying to deflect their balls, try to be as realistic as possible, trick, or even score in their hoops ! And I'll do my best to come up with something new before it gets too boring

Finally, I think rodeo has to be hard. Where would be the fun if it was just too people sitting on the horseys for 550 frames ? Plus, once you get the hang of it, it's actually fairly easy to stay in one piece.

Post reply Edit :

Turns out I fucked up somewhat big time on the rodeo mod, by forgetting to save last minute changes in the notepad before uploading, which resulted in most of the dm_thresholds to be broken. So, now, hopefully it'll be much better, as some very important and exposed joints will break way less easily !

New name :

cowboy_rodeo.tbm
Last edited by DashSora; Jul 27, 2016 at 04:24 AM.