Toribash
Original Post
Non-existent CD/DVD drive
K, so maybe you all could help me with this problem my computer seems to be having.

About a month ago, my laptop stopped recognizing that it had a CD/DVD drive. It totally stopped showing up in the boot menu as well as the list of drives on the computer, and it stopped opening if the button was pushed to open it.

The weird thing is, it still opens fine right before windows boots up on the laptop. I tried booting into linux, but even then it didn't recognize the cd drive. Also, I have sometime had the computer recognize the drive was still there, it just didnt recognize that it was a burner, it just recognized it as a normal cd/dvd drive.

I really do not want to send my laptop into hp for repairs as this is my only working computer and I need it for school.

Can any of you think of something I could do on my end to fix this problem?
Read the Market Rules
In #Support: [19:53] <@firebolty> StileCheat: Did you try this?: would you lick onima's pussy clean for 10,000 dollars
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
you could flash the bios

youd need a floppy with the bios update in it (from the laptops website, if they have it) and a floppy disk drive...

that you'll have a bit of problem to get a usb floppy drive to work at boot time, but most modern laptops have the ability to boot off a usb device
Originally Posted by avwave View Post
you could flash the bios

youd need a floppy with the bios update in it (from the laptops website, if they have it) and a floppy disk drive...

that you'll have a bit of problem to get a usb floppy drive to work at boot time, but most modern laptops have the ability to boot off a usb device

hmm, I'll try that.

I know I can boot off a usb device because I did it a few times to boot into linux to test stuff out.

Thanks
Read the Market Rules
In #Support: [19:53] <@firebolty> StileCheat: Did you try this?: would you lick onima's pussy clean for 10,000 dollars
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Have you been having any problems with your laptop in general? Crashes, random slowdown, corrupt files etc?

If your cd drive has made crackling sounds before, it's probably time to replace it.
Newegg
[10:17][10:50] <diskimage> Where can I find the Toribash license?
i think you made need to flash the bios, like avwave said, sounds like somethings been corrupted somewhere along the line.

Just for safety, id advise running a virus scan, and a Disk check.
Originally Posted by ChrisDom View Post
Have you been having any problems with your laptop in general? Crashes, random slowdown, corrupt files etc?

If your cd drive has made crackling sounds before, it's probably time to replace it.
Newegg

Id personally rather not do this, but I might end up just replacing it.

Originally Posted by bilza View Post
i think you made need to flash the bios, like avwave said, sounds like somethings been corrupted somewhere along the line.

Just for safety, id advise running a virus scan, and a Disk check.

I did all of that, it still doesn't work. I even did a full format of my HD and installed a different OS to check if it was a vista problem, but it doesn't work.

I might take the drive from my parents laptop and see if it works in mine. If it does, then its my drive, if not, then its something with the connection.
Read the Market Rules
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Parts break down mate, It's just the way it is. I had this problem before with a really old computer and a few weeks later, It wouldn't even start :l
[10:17][10:50] <diskimage> Where can I find the Toribash license?
Originally Posted by ChrisDom View Post
Parts break down mate, It's just the way it is. I had this problem before with a really old computer and a few weeks later, It wouldn't even start :l

Yeah, this isnt even an old computer though. Its only about a year and a half old.
Read the Market Rules
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ive had thisright its simple your cd/dvd drive is ont the same conector as your HHD RIGHT?

1. they are fighting eachother! main senareo is you have a cd/dvd in the drive when you load your pc up try taking it out

2. if that dont work try putting yopu cd/dvd drive on the other concter not the same one as the HDD

3. try unistaling and reinstalling your cd/dvd or installing it (most peole dont insall there cd/dvd

4. get a diffrent cd/dvd
Last edited by Rachet; Nov 16, 2009 at 12:22 PM.
I haven't read properly through the posts but have you installed every driver for your computer? Also it could be faulty wiring or a virus maybe has been installed on your BIOS.