Ranking
Original Post
Organization Outreach
Hey guys, I've got some questions for you

So we have been looking over organizations for a little while now. There are some orgs like TMMA, Indonizer, OBT, ORMO, unofficial orgs, etc. that go through spurs of activity, but the majority of them are either super inactive or dead. With the new forum overhaul coming soon, we're trying to figure out a better way to organize organizations (see what I did there? not funny? didn't laugh? okay). With places that have relaxed rules existing like Off Topic; we could condense orgs down and put them there. Another alternative would be to delete them outright, and give certain orgs a sub-forum relevant to what they do (i.e. ORMO getting a sub-forum in Replays).

What do you guys think about organizations? In their current state, they're really a big mess and don't serve any function. What I'd like to know from you guys is:

How much do you value organizations?

What could be changed about organizations in order for them to be fun and functional? (I did it again somebody please stop me)

Would you be satisfied with any of the potential solutions listed above? If so, which one?

If there's any other ideas you'd like to share regarding organizations, I encourage you to share those as well.

Here's a poll with a free response section included if you don't want to post here: CLICK ME!
w
Removing something like orgs is quite pointless because at the end of the day having a dead part of forums doesn't hurt anyone, but if someone wants to look back on something they still have the ability to do it.

The only situation where I could see removal of orgs justified is if it improved performance of the website (with the posting lag and all)
This thread seems to be going well. Big thanks to all of you for contributing to the discussion. After looking this over, here are some of my thoughts.

Originally Posted by Footlox View Post
Audit every org to check their activity, what their purpose is and if they’re really contributing to the community or not. If a dead org doesn’t respond within a month - delete them. The remaining orgs can be moved to existing subforums that they relate to.

I don't think subjecting orgs to a harsher criteria is the way to go. I agree with shit to an extent about having them be a relaxed place for people with similar interests to gather around and socialize.

Originally Posted by Smaguris View Post
Removing something like orgs is quite pointless because at the end of the day having a dead part of forums doesn't hurt anyone, but if someone wants to look back on something they still have the ability to do it.

The only situation where I could see removal of orgs justified is if it improved performance of the website (with the posting lag and all)

I'm okay with deleting all orgs because TMMA will just reform somewhere else. Our main platform is discord but we can and are planning to contribute more to the community which is what orgs should do. It does such that we lose all that history in the old threads though. Good times..

Originally Posted by BigDog View Post
there's no point in removing the orginazations that's just taking history away, instead you could keep progressing onward with toribash next and get ready to populize the game, i severely hope you guys plan on advertising, it'll really benefit you guys, and if you advertise look into twitch, this is unrelated but it's just what i think.

We've thought about the historic value of orgs, and we plan to make an "Organizations Archive" similar to how the Dead Clans board works. So don't worry about any lost memories, they will still be there.

Originally Posted by Bison View Post
There's one more thing.
Social groups (https://forum.toribash.com/group.php) on this forum don't make much sense, their removal will probably make the organizations more important.
If I remember correctly even Sir mentioned that he wants to remove them.

Social Groups were deleted recently, then brought back for a limited time so some people could access some of the information they had stored in them. As far as I know, they're going to be deleted again soon.

Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
what i'd like to know is: how would the off-topic rules be enforced in those threads? there's a lot of shitposting in obt, matter of fact, 99% of the posts made there are shitposts, and that's perfectly fine the way things are right now, but would it still be okay to shitpost if those threads were in off-topic, would they be exempted?

As it stands now, my plan is to give the language based orgs (OBT, Indonizer, OFRO, etc.) a collective sub-board in Off Topic - just like the Music/Movie chat. Each language would have their own thread. In that board in particular, I wouldn't mind the idle chit chat, so they would be exempt from that rule. With other orgs like the anime one, they would be free to make a thread in OT. However, the regular OT rules will still apply to them. I don't think this will be much of a problem though. Just like all of the other media based threads in OT, it shouldn't be hard to prompt discussion. If they want to talk about things other than anime, they can keep that to their discord or something (which is a much better way to effectively communicate anyway).

Originally Posted by shit View Post
On the contrary to what some people seem to think, I think orgs should be made a little bit less seriously enforced. It'd be good for people to have a designated place to group together and freely socialize on the forums (in a group outside of just their clan; you can only be in one clan at a time). Services like Discord tend to take away from this, but I don't think that's reason enough to remove it entirely from the forums.

My solution: Merge unofficial orgs into offtopic, and moderate them less seriously (meaning: allow orgs that are social, redundant, and stupid/wibblish to a degree). Make them a place for users to band together and socialize outside of just their clans. However, keep a separate board for official organizations to have their subboards, and allow quality unofficial orgs in offtopic to still apply and become official. You never know when a good org may come around, especially as user activity increases with Toribash Next.

On that last note, I think it's pretty clear and safe to say that user activity is/has been down. I don't think it's a good idea to make these big decisions deleting inactive stuff when most of the forums/game is seeing a drop in activity as a whole. Except social groups, delete social groups.

Most of this is sort of what we're leaning towards going for. And yeah, screw social groups

Based on the results of the poll and what's been said in this thread, here's a quick rundown of what I think y'all might like for the future:

• Create an Organization Archive of sorts, for their history - will work like the Dead Clans board.
  • Give language based orgs a collective sub-forum in Off Topic
  • Allow other orgs to create a thread in Off Topic (such as the Anime org)
  • Give some of the TB related orgs a relevant sub-forum

What do you guys think? Any and all thoughts you have are welcome.
w
Originally Posted by Fade View Post
  • Create an Organization Archive of sorts, for their history - will work like the Dead Clans board.
  • Give language based orgs a collective sub-forum in Off Topic
  • Allow other orgs to create a thread in Off Topic (such as the Anime org)
  • Give some of the TB related orgs a relevant sub-forum

Question about last point.
Replay making related organisations can be placed in the "Replays" section, but what about organisations related to competitive mods?
Rest of solutions look good.
hurh hurh hurh *chews grass*
Personally I don’t see any historical value in dead message boards. It’s dead because the people who kept it alive are no longer around. If there is something of informational value that needs to be kept then copy and paste it into the new thread. Team Aikido has a ton of history but all the good stuff we archive in our knowledge base. Other orgs should do the same. Then just cut out the fat. Same should be done throughout the forum not just for Orgs.
Leader of the Spyder House
Toribash Martial Artists
Personally I don’t see any historical value in dead message boards. It’s dead because the people who kept it alive are no longer around. If there is something of informational value that needs to be kept then copy and paste it into the new thread. Team Aikido has a ton of history but all the good stuff we archive in our knowledge base. Other orgs should do the same. Then just cut out the fat. Same should be done throughout the forum not just for Orgs.

The dead orgs archive will be "hidden" just like the dead clans sub-forum, where you have to manually write the forum display number to access it.
I'm a Verified Toricredits Seller & Marketeer!
Originally Posted by Bison View Post
Question about last point.
Replay making related organisations can be placed in the "Replays" section, but what about organisations related to competitive mods?
Rest of solutions look good.

Every single mod based organization is just about dead. TMMA is the "least dead", and their most recent post in their board was four weeks ago. Personally, I don't think this kind of activity warrants any special spot on the forums. I know TMMA mostly discusses in discord anyway, I'm sure they would agree with me on this.

As for the other mod based orgs, they haven't seen any kind of activity since June/July. I don't see them making a comeback any time soon.
w
The only way I can SOMEWHAT agree with org removal is if we get language based channels on the official TB discord with at least 2 "local" mods for each channel.

Language based organization serves a much greater purpose than mod based orgs, as the whole forum is in english, they are able to welcome and mentor newcommers while offering them a comfortable place to stay and interact. I remember being such newcommer when I could barely speak english in 2008.

The community is pretty small right now, and that reflects directly on the activity of such organisations, which doesnt mean they are not useful. Perhaps advertise them in-game somehow?

On the other hand, as said before: I'd gladly delete the BTO discord if we got at least a channel on the Toribash Discord with 2 or 3 portuguese-speaking mods. (by mods I mean at least having the power to delete messages). Since discord has a maximum of servers you can be in, and the official tb discord has a much longer reach, there's no point of each org (at least language based orgs) having their own discord. And if you add that to the fact that the community is already slowly migrating over to discord... I think that could be a viable alternative.

Perhaps, if things work out this way, maybe even a category with more than one text channel per language and even one voice channel?

I still rather not having language based orgs entirely removed, though. As the game gets bigger (hopefully) multi-language support only becomes more necessary.

ps.: And a fully localized game is completely useless if it forces the userbase to speak english for any minor interaction due to the fact that there's no other areas on the forum you can speak your native language.
Last edited by Immotay; Oct 1, 2019 at 03:43 AM.
Originally Posted by Immotay View Post
The only way I can SOMEWHAT agree with org removal is if we get language based channels on the official TB discord with at least 2 "local" mods for each channel.
Language based organization serves a much greater purpose than mod based orgs, as the whole forum is in english, they are able to welcome and mentor newcommers while offering them a comfortable place to stay and interact. I remember being such newcommer when I could barely speak english in 2008.

The community is pretty small right now, and that reflects directly on the activity of such organisations, which doesnt mean they are not useful. Perhaps advertise them in-game somehow?

On the other hand, as said before: I'd gladly delete the BTO discord if we got at least a channel on the Toribash Discord with 2 or 3 portuguese-speaking mods. (by mods I mean at least having the power to delete messages). Since discord has a maximum of servers you can be in, and the official tb discord has a much longer reach, there's no point of each org (at least language based orgs) having their own discord. And if you add that to the fact that the community is already slowly migrating over to discord... I think that could be a viable alternative.

Perhaps, if things work out this way, maybe even a category with more than one text channel per language and even one voice channel?

I still rather not having language based orgs entirely removed, though. As the game gets bigger (hopefully) multi-language support only becomes more necessary.

ps.: And a fully localized game is completely useless if it forces the userbase to speak english for any minor interaction due to the fact that there's no other areas on the forum you can speak your native language.

It seems to me that you're under the impression we're just deleting orgs and leaving it at that. Sorry but, did you read the thread? We're planning on giving all of the language based orgs a collective sub-forum over in off topic. A dedicated spot like this will be much more organized and easier to moderate than discord channels. You will still be able to do all of the things you did before over in off topic, so it's really just a clean up/location change.
w
Okay so let’s do this. Delete em
Leader of the Spyder House
Toribash Martial Artists
Originally Posted by Fade View Post
It seems to me that you're under the impression we're just deleting orgs and leaving it at that. Sorry but, did you read the thread? We're planning on giving all of the language based orgs a collective sub-forum over in off topic. A dedicated spot like this will be much more organized and easier to moderate than discord channels. You will still be able to do all of the things you did before over in off topic, so it's really just a clean up/location change.

Yes I did read the thread and I know it's a cleanup/location change, but removing them outright was an option and I wanted to address that

The "collective" sub-forum is kind of a broad term. Are getting reduced to one thread per organisation on a single subforum? Are we getting a sub-forum for each org? (Off-Topic > Whatever is the collective subforum > org subforum or Off-topic > collective subforum and then a thread on it?)

Is it gonna inherit the off-topic lmods? Are we still keeping ours, or at least getting mods that speak the language that we'll be writing in?

I'm mostly neutral on this change, but some guys over at BTO brought up some questions on the Discord and I had to agree that even though we know the plan, it's not entirely clear how that is going to happen.