ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Changing game controls ( PS, xBox Controllers )
This idea will not only make the game better and more flexible to different users ( Lefty, Righty ).
(Because some people might like to use different buttons over ZXCV.)
Plus it will make the game more suitable to be on consoles
Which is another way for the dev.s to make money.

It might sound like too much effort. But no in-fact all it takes is, for us to be able to change controls to (press button to set as eg.Neck)
Similar to a lot of other games.
(Keep in mind this doesn't mean we HAVE to change the controlls)
But For example this could be a list of both the new controlls+Old controlls
1.Neck
2.Chest
And besides those we could have
20.Extend/contract
21.Relax/Hold
This way the people who prefer the old way can play the old way.
__________________________________________________ _______________

You might ask how could we play on a PS controller, when Toribash has 20 joints.
But the PS controller has near 12?
A/Combinations

Before i explain i just want to clear out, this idea is NOT meant to be to make the game available to consoles. I'm just saying it will make the game more suitable. I personally would like to play on PC but with a PS controller.

Now that that's cleared out.
Making the game's controls change-able by "Press button to set" type of setting.
The players will figure out how they want it to be set
But this is how i would play it, and what i think will be a good default setting.

Bring up chat=Select
Camera Zoom in/out=Right joystick up/down
Camera spin= Left joystick left/right
Camera angle up/down = left joystick up/down

Joints: (pressed once to change to next state [Similar to clicking on the joint] )

Neck=Triangle
Chest=Square
Lumbar=Circle
ABS= X

R Wrist= Up arrow + R1
L Wrist= Up arrow + L1
R Elbow= Left arrow + R1
L Elbow= Left arrow + L1
R Shoulder= Right arrow + R1
L Shoulder= Right arrow + L1
R Pec= Down arrow + R1
L Pec= Down arrow + L1

R ankle = Up arrow + R2
L ankle = Up arrow + L2
R knee = Left arrow + R2
L knee = Left arrow + L2
R hip = Right arrow + R2
L hip = Right arrow + L2
R glute = Down arrow + R2
L glute = Down arrow + L2

Besides all the other good things about making this.
You also need to know how cool it will be to use a controller to control the Tori.
It will feel a lot more alive, after a week of using a PS controller, and having our hands used to them
Then smashing all buttons at once to execute a move without thinking about it, it just feels much greater.
__________________________________________________ _______________
FAQ:
Q1:
Don't you think getting used to a controller will be reaaaaaally difficult?
A1:
There can be a way to play the old way too.
And no I don't think it would take more than 1 week to get highly used to it.
Most of us spent years on the game. so we are all patient people who are willing to spend some time on it.
Last edited by Mafi; Jan 30, 2017 at 02:35 PM.
You can't fight change. You can't fight nature.
Though controller support sounds interesting at first, have you ever stopped to think about how getting used to this controller configuration would be reeeaaaally difficult? Nevertheless, I'll see if I can configure it like this in Joy2Key, and I will share my thoughts about it. Edit: Whoops I can't get it to work because I forgot individual joint states aren't linked to button inputs.

Being able to remap buttons on a keyboard isn't such a bad idea.
Last edited by Slau; Jan 30, 2017 at 03:21 PM.
Originally Posted by Slau View Post
have you ever stopped to think about how getting used to this controller configuration would be reeeaaaally difficult?

I don't think it would take more than 1 week to get highly used to it.
Most of us spent years on the game. so we are all patient people who are willing to spend some time on it.
Besides, as i mentioned in 1st post. there can be a way to play the old way too.
anyone saying anything about getting "used to the new controls" being an issue your opinion is invalid since everyone had to learn THIS current way of playing the game when it first came out, so, in that regard you are wrong to say that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[VIBE] 2015~2016 | Team Pokemon | [Origin] 2014~2015 | Team Aikido | [Obey] ~Because Frost Said So...
But pressing button combinations is a lot more obscure than clicking the joint you would like to move. Therefore, having to memorize button combinations adds to the difficulty of being in control of your Tori, rather than replace it. You can't compare getting used to controller support with getting used to playing regularly. Mouse + keyboard is just easier.

Sure, you could say new users should learn to play using mouse + keyboard first, then go to controller. But the people who play with the expectation of this game having partial controller support will be bummed out. They'll expect the game to be reasonably playable with a controller, while I think you would really need to be familiar with Toribash before being able to adapt. This might result in lower Steam ratings, for whatever that's worth. (not advertising partial controller support on the Steam page fixes this somewhat, though)

Would you see yourself play with a controller over a longer period of time if this was implemented? Or would you rather play keyboard + mouse regardless? This is a critical question to ask yourself when suggesting things like this, and I would like to learn what benefits you think players will have from playing with a controller over playing with keyboard + mouse. Current arguments I've heard are pretty much limited to "it'd just be cool", and cool things are okay, don't get me wrong. But I think the coolness doesn't outweigh the inconvenience and confusion getting used to a controller would cause.
I can't say what you said is wrong, it might be right for you personally.
But it's wrong for me.
I always prefer playing with a controller over keyboard/mouse
i always have and always will.
And it's easy to get used to playing Toribash with a controller, old player or new player.
For new players, it's just as hard as playing with the keyboard/mouse.

I have already memorized the button combinations i wrote.
Because it's also easy.
If you just focus alittle on those combinations i wrote, there's a pattern
Besides ( as mentioned before )
You do NOT need more than 1 week to get used to any style of playing.
Even if it's your first time using a ps controller. you just need 1 week or less.
And everything will feel smooth.

Having "Changable game controlls" will only add more to the game.
it will NOT affect how attractive the game is. (if not make it more attractive)
So there wont be any steam problems which you mentioned.

Quote:Would i see myself play with a controller over a longer period of time?
Hell yes i would, It's less stressful.

Quote:I would like to learn what benefits you think players will have from playing with a controller over playing with keyboard + mouse.
First of all, "it's cooler" is not something so small to easily pass it by.
The whole point of playing the game toribash is because it's cool.
The whole point of gaming is because it's cool.
Second of all.
You need to read the first post again.
-Left handed people can change keyboard controls to what they like.
-The game will be a step closer to "playable on console"
-If using controller, It's faster to transfer your idea from your mind to your hand to your tori.
You can press 4-5 buttons if not more, in the same time you need to change the state of a joint with a mouse.

Besides all these fine benefits.
We shouldn't forget about
Effort<<<Outcome
Cons are "None"
The effort put into this idea is much smaller than the outcome the game benefits from.
And it has no down sides.

I don't see a reason for this not to be implemented
There is already a script with this functionality.

http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=432408

Contact either Daanando or snake for more info about the script.

To expand further, on a PC you'd need a mapping software unless you know how TB registers the input of your controller.
Now doing recoloring for people not in the clan as-well, PM for more info!
PROUD OWNER OF THORN'S GOOD ENOUGH WRITER AWARD!
That's great but it shouldn't be an external script.
Changing controls should be downloaded with the default game files.
The addition you are suggesting would be for the select few who have the patience, time and skill to memorise and get used to the idea of controller functionality would it not? A hard task to grasp for anyone, and so only really for the elite. Toribash has a low player count as people struggle with the regular game, and so your average player is not going to want to try something that makes the game even more difficult.

It seems odd to add this script to the default game files when very little will use it, and if you have the patience and skill to learn how to play on a controller, then surely you will be capable of downloading and configuring a script?

Just my personal opinion, but to me it seems like not enough people would use this for it to be added to default game files. And as Smogard has suggested, the solution isn't all too difficult.

TL ; DR - Great Suggestion, would love to see it implemnted, but not in default game files.
Last edited by Bless; Feb 13, 2017 at 01:09 AM.