Toribash
Original Post
Tori Physical Stats Advanced Modification
Hello My Dear Citizens of Toribashland,

Last time I made a suggestion was 3 years ago, so I don't throw around suggestions. This one has potential.

The suggestion is the following - To be able to balance the overall joint power statistics of the Tori to your liking while the overall power is unchanged.
Brief:
1) Total joint Power Unchanged
2)
Power transfer fee 20% of the power.
3) Joint Max power = 150% of original . Also, weakened joints bend easier when contracted.
4) Power of joints not counted equally (e.g. neck = 20% by default, knee = 100% by default).
5)
One joint gets power or gives power to one other joint only.
6)
Can be done only when spectating or in the Menu.
7)
Free for 2nd Dan and up or can be bought.
8 ) Can be implemented as a separate "Pro-only" Highly Customized Game Mode. Most likely will entertain the already-bored pro's.

Result: Advanced players risk being handicapped by the joint power "transfer fee". They can only gain an advantage, if their power is distributed wisely.

You know how in games, such as Need For Speed, you can adjust the Nitro power? One end is the Power of the Nitro Boost, the other end is the Length of the Nitro Boost. Or when you choose between High Acceleration, Low Top Speed Transmission and Slow Acceleration, High Top Speed Transmission.

Most advanced players have specific moves / openers in specific mods that they concentrate on. For myself, I am ready to make the power of, say, Pecs, weaker by 50% and to make the power of my Chest 150%.

This will make the game, especially mods, such as Aikido, more tactical. Players will gain the opportunity to have more individualised Tori's, without any unfair advantage . Imagine a power-tank with 150% power on the arms and pecs, a muscle man, playing against an agile ninja with 150% on legs and glutes. Now thats what I call an interesting match!

Details:
1) the power of a joint cannot be increased more than twice, i.e. max power = 150% of the original power of the joint. If the power of a joint in TB physics is defined by the joint size, then we are talking about being able to change the individual joint sizes.
150% max joint size/power, cause we dont want someone maxing up an elbow, pec and wrist and DMing around. By the way, DMs will become more tactical too with a modifiable power balance in the body.

2) I would suggest the option to be available to dedicated players only, say Dan 2 and up. For anyone below 2000 Qi, it should cost money, so that we dont have noobs spoiling the game with random modified joints.

3) The total power of the joints combined is Never increased.

4) Just as with Bank transfers, we can take a certain "Charge or Fee" for transferring power. Meaning, if you take 50% from a knee then you can deliver only 40% additional power to the e.g. elbow.

5) Not all joints need to be counted equal. The transfer "Fee" between less commonly used joints and more commonly used ones can be different, so that people dont make the neck 0% and make the chest 200%. Or maybe some joints are counted as inferior and their power is considered 50% of the power of the other joints.

6) "Crowdfunding" of joints is not allowed as well. Here is the Principle - a joint can receive a boost from ONLY one other joint, not more. Similarly, a joint can Give a boost ONLY to one other joint. This will also help players to see the stats of the opponent more clearly. E.g. everything 100%, Left elbow 150%, Right Knee 50%, rather than all joints having different numbers.

7) The power in joints in modified while in the game Menu and outside of Online Rooms or Spectating.

Result: Advanced players risk being handicapped by the joint power "transfer fee". They can only gain an advantage, if their power is distributed wisely.

What do you think? All constructive criticism Greatly appreciated.
Best regards,
Gmbrdile.
Last edited by Gmbrdile; May 29, 2015 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Additional info
"Weird T-posed ragdolls tear each other to pieces in moon gravity"... Tonakai
Originally Posted by Gmbrdile View Post
I have to disagree on your opinion that this mod would decrease equality. The first reason being that the tori with modified body stats would have LESS overall joint power

This makes no sense. If your tori is weaker after you modified it, the tori's aren't equal anymore. So yes, it would decrease equality.

About the general suggestion: If you suggest something like that, you first need to know what power means in toribash. Because if you add "power" to a joint, it will just extend/contract faster. That's all there is to it. But this creates some problems.
If you make your elbow more powerful, for example, and extend it to punch your opponent, it will not only extend quicker and do more damage, it also will break more easily. This happens because if you extend your elbow, in the moment it becomes fully extended, it suddenly stops. In this moment, there is a lot of pressure on this joint. So the faster your elbow is moving, the more likely it is to break when it comes to a sudden stop.
So if the dmthreshold is not very high and you add power to the elbow joint, it could just break by simply contracting and then extending it.

And I didn't even talk about what much of a change this suggestion would mean to the whole gameplay. We don't even know if such fast moving joints are even controllable anymore considering you sometimes have to play with up to 50 turnframes.

Sorry for my bad english btw.
Last edited by Zockinator; May 30, 2015 at 01:12 PM.
Equality means an equality of opportunity. If the individual chooses to handicap himself/ herself for the purpose of gaining a slight advantage on only one joint, it is their business and doesnt put the opponent in a disadvantageous position.

As for the joint power, I know what you mean. faster joints break easier. Which is why if you read my original post more carefully, I am implying of improving ALL of the properties of the specific joint if the power is increased; likewise, decreasing ALL of its properties if the power is given to another joint. I am not aware of the physics algorithms in-game, but from my observation this would mean increasing the SIZE of the joint AND the SPEED of the joint at the same time by the specified amount, likewise, decreasing the speed and the size (or just the size, depending on how specifically the physics operate).

The suggestion is - Make the joint's characteristics - DM threshold, speed, power (in the sense of the pressure applied to the joint) Equally increasing by the amount that is taken from the other joint which has the same happen to it, but in the downward direction.
"Weird T-posed ragdolls tear each other to pieces in moon gravity"... Tonakai