Toribash
Originally Posted by dannyrug View Post
The Music Theory states that music is composed of pitch, beat or pulse, rhythm, melody, harmony, texture, allocation of voices, timbre or color, expressive qualities (dynamics and articulation), and form or structure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_theory

Alone based on that, rap does fit the criteria for music. There is pitch, beat or pulse, rhythm, etc...
It really does depend on the artist, but it seems that you are generalizing all rap artist. Some rappers add more to their songs than others. If you are going off of the mainstream hip-hop/rap that you hear on the radio, most, but not all of the songs contain these fundamentals.

Off the record, what is your definition of music Wight.

No. The fuck? Rhythm and Poetry does not have pitch, beat, and pulse. RaP Music does, but that's a different genre. RaP does not.

It seems that you are trying to classify something as something it is not.
FREE-SPEECH CAUSE FUCK YOU
ONLY COMMIES CHANGE AVVYS
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
No. The fuck? Rhythm and Poetry does not have pitch, beat, and pulse. RaP Music does, but that's a different genre. RaP does not.

This really confused me because I thought by RaP you meant Rap.
It took me like, ten minutes to realize it meant Rhythm and Poetry.
"In my opinion, the existence of life is a highly overrated phenomenon." -Jon Osterman
Originally Posted by Wight View Post
That is not the correct name for the genre. It is a backronym.

Right, It seems as I was wrong there. But it also says on that page that rapping is a form of speech, and it makes a separation between rapping and Rap music. Just as there is a difference between Jazz poetry and Jazz Music, there is a difference between Rap and Rap music, as far as my new found understanding goes.
Originally Posted by Templar View Post

Rapping can be traced back to its African roots. Centuries before hip hop music existed, the griots of West Africa were delivering stories rhythmically, over drums and sparse instrumentation. (Wiki)

This song is "rap"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yv6p0RaqAc

Pitch, beat, and pulse are all evident here. This is #1 on billboard for rap music currently, along with the song Timber by Pitbull and Kesha. Rap is considered music according to the theory.
A hasbeen like the rest
That is NOT music. That "song" is a cancerous growth that spawned from the idiocy of the nation, and needs to be put down and buried as deep and as discreetly as possible.

Though if we must apply a musical label to that...thing, then it is rap music, which is very different from just rap. Which has been repeated several times already.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’'s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
It is ranked on the rap chart, not the hip-hop chart which is called Rap-music. Therefore, some rap songs are considered music. And I never said it was good.
A hasbeen like the rest
Hip hop may incorporate rapping or elements of it, but is not synonymous with rap music as a whole. Rap music is distinguishable from hip hop, and thus has its own chart.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’'s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
Hip hop music, also called hip-hop, rap music, or hip-hop music. Definition from wiki.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_hop_music

Rap and Hip-hop(Rap music) are not the same, thus making my previous statement true.
A hasbeen like the rest
Originally Posted by dannyrug View Post
Hip hop music, also called hip-hop, rap music, or hip-hop music. Definition from wiki.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_hop_music

Rap and Hip-hop(Rap music) are not the same, thus making my previous statement true.

Rap is a form of speech, used in several types of poetry today. Rap is not rap music, nor will it ever be. It's also not music. Good day sir.