ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Drawing Im working on.

large image

Started using the square brushes, kinda like them. I havent drawn in so long, so I kinda felt like just doing something simular to what I have done before.

Made in photoshop, about 3 hours so far.
What can I say? It's amazing so far. I like the saturated colors of the shadows and the spotlight on the face. Square brushes are very cool but I still have to learn how to use them.

Now that I think about it there's one thing that distracts me about the drawing: the eye on the right side. It seems out of place, a bit higher than the other one and it gives a different feeling. Probably it's the fact that you can see the top of the iris and that there are less skin folds around it.
yeah I agree, changed the eyes a bit. Also I like saturated colors, but the whole thing just got a bit too far in the red zone.

some progress

looking great man; i just see some minor issues
right now, the light source looks like its small and coming from the front. With that in mind,
*the nose shading definitely needs some changing.
*the form of the eye needs to be more defined imo
*the eyes needs a stronger highlight considering the light source and since it is a very reflective surface
*the creases / scars could be a bit more subtle (especially in between the nose cartilage) or could use some change in shading

i might be being too nitpicky xD

best item forogerer
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
UGUU~~~~
Great painting, I love it!

And for the sake of not getting infracted, the ears look very disconnected, especially the one to the right.
Owner of Fred
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
yeah worked some more on it, thanks for useful advice
Last edited by Ezeth; Oct 2, 2018 at 11:57 AM.
Wow, great progress man.

Honestly, I'm not good enough to criticize this in a professional manner; Why enforce such strict and unnecessary rules? Only makes it annoying to post in here.

But doesn't the highlight on the brows and forehead look a bit too round and hard?
Also idk if you're "done" with the torso, but it looks a bit unrefined with the focus point, as some parts are sharp and other parts are blurry.

Sick job mate.
Owner of Fred
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I thought a bit about the overall drawing, and in my opinion at the moment it seems more a technique exercise than an illustration. What I mean is that it's technically great with shadows, colors and contrasts that work well together, but the subject itself is lacking something. Leaving apart drawing techniques, what I see is a generic face without expression in a space where nothing is really happening. Nothing that indicates who the guy is, where he is, how he is. The painting needs something to catch the eye of the viewer: some clothing, some kind of jewel, some elements in the bg, a particular facial expression or even just a glow in the eyes.

Not necessarily a bad thing if you were going for a generic drawing to warm up your skills after a pause, but at this stage I feel its overall direction is still not defined.
Well actually I was trying this out earlier

lol

But I decided to skip it, because I think it looks a bit silly tbh. Its good practice for sure. I think if I am to add anything I would like to make him more angry, but I kind of want to do something else now.
Last edited by Ezeth; Oct 2, 2018 at 11:57 PM.
I mean, the idea's there. And it looks pretty good too. Source of light is getting diffuse though, so why not just try to work with it like that and get it to actually look good?
Owner of Fred
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]