Toribash
Original Post
How to identify an RPG, written mostly with Enzu and Kyou-kun in mind.
1. Determine who the GM is.
Generally, the gamemaster is the guy who knows what they're talking about the most, and gets listened to the most, and the guy who is saying what actually happens. This alone can really narrow down the RPG choices, as only me and Vox run trpg, and as far as I know, only I run DnD. Rhaken is the only one who runs an mrpg campaign.

2. Listen to the keywords.
If it involves time travel, think trpg. That's what it's for. If it's Vox or me, you're almost certainly on the money. If it involves experience points or XP, then it's DnD. As in, no arguments, it's DnD. Nothing else uses XP. Feints and counters are of mrpg vain, and if Rhaken is the GM, that's what you're looking at. Otherwise, it's arena, which borrows from everything we consider canon or fanon.

3. Look at the magic involves.
If it involves preparing spells, it's Vancian and thus DnD. If it involves making spells up as you go, then it's a variant of marpg or mrpg. If it doesn't involve spellcasting at all, then it's trpg, arena, marpg, or mrpg. If it doesn't involve magic, then it's probably a game that won't last very long.

Will add more when someone proves that this is not sufficient to identify all major RPGs that happen in the spirit RPG channel.
Squad Squad Squad lead?
The standardization of Toribash Squad roles may have gone too far!