Endurance Onslaught 6.0
Original Post
Art/Creativity
"the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.
"the art of the Renaissance"
synonyms: fine art, artwork, creative activity More
works produced by human creative skill and imagination.
"his collection of modern art"
synonyms: fine art, artwork, creative activity More
creative activity resulting in the production of paintings, drawings, or sculpture.
"she's good at art""

What would you guys say Art is? I personally think Art is something creative, different and unique other than simple portraits or landscapes. They may look good but they are dull.

Creativity is another thing, it seems as if people are starting to ignore the point of being creative because now we have technology to do the hard part for us like filters for example. Would you guys say creativity is lacking?
blue
pink
It depends who you ask. A simple portrait could be art to someone, and taking a shit on a canvas and presenting it may be art to another person, just because its 'creative'. 'Art' (to me at least) is a pretty general term.
i sell pocket pussies
[Ae]ther | cncpls | [OoT] | SR
it's all down to perspective.

to me, art is creativity, but I find that when something has a lack of creativity it's not labelled as 'art', but as something less. if you think about it, art is a very powerful word and people tend to misuse it a lot nowadays.
Art is to capture an emotion.
No matter how much skill you have, the crowd will listen to someone who plays with emotion, and ignore someone who doesn't.
You can't create art if your goal is to please the crowd. That's why I will never recognise pop singers (for example) as artists.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
Originally Posted by Lazors View Post
Art is to capture an emotion.
No matter how much skill you have, the crowd will listen to someone who plays with emotion, and ignore someone who doesn't.
You can't create art if your goal is to please the crowd. That's why I will never recognise pop singers (for example) as artists.

I must address this. Quite a few pop songs play directly to emotions. Miley Cyrus' Wrecking Ball, Imagine Dragons' Demons, and OneRepublic's Counting Stars to name a few. However, these 'artists' are recycling songs left and right. I've heard remixed clips from Smells Like Teen Spirit and Love Shack among others. And despite these artists directing their lyrics towards the emotions of teenage girls, the lyrics themselves are also shallow and self serving. Attention seeking. That's why I don't consider 'pop artists' to be artists.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’'s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
This question has plagued modern art.

You've probably seen pictures of blank canvases or canvases painted a single color. Maybe you've heard of Warhol's art factory. Lots of people are strove to answer that question, but in the end, to quote Justice Potter Stewart, "I know it when I see it".

Arguing 'is this art? is that art?' is just silly.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
I'd say that everything made with a hint of imagination is art. Something you've worked on.
Some art is just less interesting than others, and thus not considered "art".

Don't think that it's even a debatable matter, it's just a matter of personal opinions.
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
I'd say that everything made with a hint of imagination is art. Something you've worked on.

So how to still life/landscapes/photorealistic art fit in to this? Is photography art? Is accidental art possible? Does the principal of "form follows function" lead to non-art?
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff