Ranking
Original Post
The Ban List is Sad
It's also funny, but that's beside the point.

I would like to discuss IP-bans, alternative ways of banning users, alternative punishments in general, etc. and the pros/cons of each.

I wouldn't know how the staff goes about discussing IP-bans, but from what I can see from my point of view, they're just a bit too easygoing when dishing them out. I also don't know who is IP-banned and who isn't, but based on the number of alts that fill up the ban list, it seems to me that IP-bans aren't common enough.

I could be wrong on this, but from what I understand, IP-bans are always permanent while username-bans are not? If I'm right on that, then I think that should change. We should be deterring people from making a million alts so that they can get around their ban. Some of these people are just a thorn in the side of the Toribash community. Consistent scammers would be my biggest pet-peeve. I really don't think the staff is hard enough on scammers who get banned, make alts, and scam some more. Instead of waiting for reports to come in and catch them, we should be preventing the scams with temporary IP-bans. Prevention is always the best solution.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Originally Posted by Pindar View Post
Why do people use proxies? I mean, they make you slightly more anonymous but whats the point of that unless you are hiding from the government?

Avoiding bans <_<
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
@Suo; having the client register the MAC when validating the connection to the game-server would make it more secure and a lot harder to avoid bans. However this registration could also be to the licence key of Windows or OsX or similar ID instead of just being placed on a particular userid server side. And yes, this would only do for the game client itself and not the forums.

Why do people use proxies? Well, lets say I want to reduce my ping to some specific international location; on way is to use a d-proxy to the country and hence have less lag towards that server.

They can be used to avoid internet restrictions, and I believe quite a few on these forums use proxies to establish a secure uplink to be able to play toribash from schools and unis by spoofing the packages as going over different ports.
Now doing recoloring for people not in the clan as-well, PM for more info!
PROUD OWNER OF THORN'S GOOD ENOUGH WRITER AWARD!