Ranking
Originally Posted by Ele View Post
I used to listen to the Tim Ferriss podcast, and Ryan Holiday was on it a couple of time iirc, talking about stoicism and whatnot. What's some of the main takeaways you got from Obstacles?

Have you fellas read any Douglas Adams? He's just as witty and entertaining as Pratchett. You've probably heard of the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, but didja know it's actually a 5 book series? Some good shit. The audiobook version of the series is great also (first book is read by Stephen Fry and the rest of the series by Martin Freeman (dude from The Office, The Hobbit + Fargo)).

Also, comedic in a darker way, but also some high-tier fantastic literature; Lolita. Beautifully written. You'd think it'd be hard to get you to root for a pedo, but somehow this Russian fella makes that happen. It's an awe-inspiring book (and one of the all time greatest, according to many lit snobs), don't be put off by the title.

Yeah, my mum introduced me to hitchhiker's when I was very young. I only read the first one, but it's foggy so would be good to revisit and read the series. Incidentally, my mum introduced me to Pratchett, and she's read every one of his books more than once.
These days my fondest memories of hitchhiker's are of the BBC tv series from the early 80s based on the radio series. Wore those VHS tapes out lol.
Lolita I'm more off put because, well I'ma talk about mum again, watched the movie with my mum when I was a young teen or preteen, and it grossed me out lmao, never looked at Jeremy Irons the same way.

Oh, I picked up a rare book for a couple USD a couple months ago - Growing Up Weightless. I don't have it with me at the moment, but when I bought it the cheapest was $50 online... now it's goes for $11 : ( false economy!
Anyway it's a weird as fuck but thoroughly entertaining book, if anyone comes across John M Ford, pick his shit up.
Dragon Waiting still goes for >$100, but it's getting reprinted soon : ( / : D
Last edited by DrGonz; Jan 26, 2020 at 05:25 AM.
Originally Posted by Ele View Post
Yes, novels are books Sora. Whatcha reading?

I was considering getting one of the many audiobook collections of Lovecraft's works, but apparently each of them misses some key stories. Which are your favourite ones that you'd recommend?

I downloaded wattpad and webnovel app and reading a lot of stories there. Webnovel app is full of fantasy, but you can found everything on wattpad. I also read books about psychology. Lovecraft horror stories are all good and I recommend you to read every one of his stories.
NO TITLE
I have so many books/mangas i want to read, but i don't really have time. I'm a big fan of Stephen King and his books since his like the god of Horror stories, not looking at the movie adaptations after his books tho. I'm currently trying to start reading Sapiens and 21 lessons for 21st century.
I'm planing on starting 21 Lessons for the 21st Century also! After I finish my other books, ofc.

I read (physical copies) Sapiens and Homo Deus, and yeah, they're both pretty great - Definitely recommend. I'll probably get the audiobook for 21 Lessons though, just cus I've been getting way more into audiobooks now (I find them more convenient).

If you end up liking Sapiens, I reckon you might like Humanity: A Moral History of the Twentieth Century by Jonathan Glover and Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond.
----------
What's your favourite Stephen King book?
@Sora, cmon, give me a place to start for Lovecraft. What's a good entry point/which is your fav?
@DrGonz, I've never seen any of the movies, but I promise you won't be disappointed or sickened by the book.
Last edited by Ele; Jan 27, 2020 at 08:51 PM.
I didn't really read a lot of his books nor did i heard about most of them, but Pet Semetery, Dark Tower, IT, The Shinning and The Outsider are some of those i like.

I also want to read The Metro novels, all of them. I played all metro games expect Exodus coz i didn't have time and i actually want to this the story by the books too.
The Lovecraft questions weren't directed at me, but don't Listen to the audiobook version of Necronomicon. It's my only exposure to HPL, and I'm told by someone who's read a lot of his stuff and listened to Necronomicon that it was all out of order and different stories. It was still cool, but I wasn't blown away by listening to it.

I haven't verified if that's true, but he says it's one to read. I like audiobooks when I drive, which isn't much atm.
-----
it's the only way I could stand to get through Brandon Sanderson's boring ass prose lol.
Last edited by DrGonz; Jan 28, 2020 at 01:24 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
I received a book about naturopathy which is interesting
there is a section about older methods of plant use for botanised infrastructure
also plants like castor bean, which sounds weird and never heard of them
Enjoint life