Toribash
i agree soo much, i rant and cry about this a lot

in abd, trying to leg grab, shovel, use decap openers, or anything like that was a huge faux pas back in the day. nobody did it and if you did you're an asshole. people played to have fun and now people only play to win, by any means possible. abd used to be my absolute favorite mod and now i havent had fun playing it in a long time. similar stories for the other popular competitive mods.
meta evolved to cancer, everyone plays the exact same way

i really miss the 2012-2016 days of toribash
ナゲット
Originally Posted by loli View Post
i agree soo much, i rant and cry about this a lot

in abd, trying to leg grab, shovel, use decap openers, or anything like that was a huge faux pas back in the day. nobody did it and if you did you're an asshole. people played to have fun and now people only play to win, by any means possible. abd used to be my absolute favorite mod and now i havent had fun playing it in a long time. similar stories for the other popular competitive mods.
meta evolved to cancer, everyone plays the exact same way

i really miss the 2012-2016 days of toribash

This is what I sum it up to. It's the reason why wushu is dead to me and i can confidently say it is to others too. I don't care to win or lose, I try to make the most out of every fight. Even if I'm up 10k points in wushufixed, I'll always arm up a comeback and do it. Where's the fun in just holding all? Duels are a bit different so it doesn't really apply all the time, unless you're just friendly wagering things, then by all means do whatever.

This is the same reason I've always had respect for select members in RelaxAll, Alpha, and Fl0w. Back in their own respective days, there would be private lobbies full of them, or scattered about just playing the game trying to make the most of it; trying to just have fun and give it their all. There's more skill to show after a series of comebacks and strikes in wushu but still losing, versus holding all or running away after a point lead.

People seem too fixated on the win, they forget everything else about the game. This is how I see it.

Maya's response above was also good.

بسم الله الرحمان الرحيم

this is particularly relevant to ed and loli's posts.

https://forum.toribash.com/showthrea...=626135&page=2
Here Kane (and later Bod) talks about all the drama that lead to wushu's death and mushu's birth... i'm sure many of you know the story already. I was chatting with him about it yesterday, and he wondered if the winpoint rule was implemented before the point-system change, maybe things could have gone differently. Oh well: winpoint is implemented now because of Kane. Take advantage of it, it's great in wushu and lenshu.

Speaking of which, Kane is soon hosting a Wushu Endurance Onslaught tourney. Winpoint threshold changes a lot, and mitigates the more boring playstyles.
Timeout (2000 frames) is a draw, and you must reach the 80k winpoint threshold to win.
https://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=636450
If you miss the older styles of wushu play, donate to it and take part

Edit: also must say, it is understandable that players now play boring, because the game allows for it. Kane has created a ruleset intended to change the environment such that boring playstyles don't work.
Last edited by DrGonz; Mar 13, 2020 at 06:58 PM.
Originally Posted by DrGonz View Post
this is particularly relevant to ed and loli's posts.

https://forum.toribash.com/showthrea...=626135&page=2
Here Kane (and later Bod) talks about all the drama that lead to wushu's death and mushu's birth... i'm sure many of you know the story already. I was chatting with him about it yesterday, and he wondered if the winpoint rule was implemented before the point-system change, maybe things could have gone differently. Oh well: winpoint is implemented now because of Kane. Take advantage of it, it's great in wushu and lenshu.

Speaking of which, Kane is soon hosting a Wushu Endurance Onslaught tourney. Winpoint threshold changes a lot, and mitigates the more boring playstyles.
Timeout (2000 frames) is a draw, and you must reach the 80k winpoint threshold to win.
https://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=636450
If you miss the older styles of wushu play, donate to it and take part

Edit: also must say, it is understandable that players now play boring, because the game allows for it. Kane has created a ruleset intended to change the environment such that boring playstyles don't work.

Boring playstyles good or bad, are very effective (See Diamond). I doubt a rule will change the mindset for a competitive event.

I regards to the other posts and play styles, people just may remember few good examples and are making a point based on that, but truth is that they were few, and as they went away the other playstyles got more attention. I remember back in the day it was the same as today, same old moves, same everything. It's more refreshing to play newbies than higher belts, but don't make the past look like it was different.
I would actually argue that the problem isnt tryharding, but that the mods we play competitively arent actually that good for interesting competitive play.
All the duel mods are basically as old as this game, and use the default tori.
These mods were made back in the day when people didnt really know what the optimal ways of playing this game even were.
Nowadays we know that crabbing, shoveling and just running are basically the best ways to win.

I would argue that if people could look for new more interesting mods with more complex methods of winning, for example such as mods where everything else but feet dq, making balancing super important on top of just dq or dmg. This way we could find interesting competitive matches.
None of the mods we currently play competitively really house that much competitive variety and that I feel is the problem.

Nobody has a problem with people tryharding in CS:GO or Tekken or maybe Dota, because those games are designed with competitive variety.
Toribash isnt that, and I doubt we ever will see people giving new more complex mods a shot, since the playerbase is already small, and set in its ways.
Last edited by cowmeat; Mar 16, 2020 at 04:16 PM.
Toribash isn’t meant to be a competitive game at all you do know that right, but you do understand people will make any game competitive just for the benefit to get things out of it being competitive, toribash is too rng to be relied on at all in competitive
I've been dueling since 2012 and I can confidently say people have always been 'tryharding', duels have gotten boring to me personally because there's literally nobody to duel. I've been sitting in a duel server for 30 mins and can't find a single duel.
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post

Interesting about this statement is that I'm currently developing a mod with a modified body and not a lot of people seem to enjoy that. Also note that I'm not trying to develop a competetive mod, as you said a little before making this point, I'm just simply trying to bring in something new and perhaps exciting to some.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I'm back on that bull like the cowboy
[Zero] [Parrot] [NOT] [TANG]
akina | oaky | haku | max | suka | static
Originally Posted by Zephh View Post
Interesting about this statement is that I'm currently developing a mod with a modified body and not a lot of people seem to enjoy that. Also note that I'm not trying to develop a competetive mod, as you said a little before making this point, I'm just simply trying to bring in something new and perhaps exciting to some.

These new mods people try creating with different tori physics won't pick up in the dueling community simply because you have to adapt to a brand new physic system, which people won't want to do.
Originally Posted by MariaVirgine View Post
Boring playstyles good or bad, are very effective (See Diamond). I doubt a rule will change the mindset for a competitive event.

I regards to the other posts and play styles, people just may remember few good examples and are making a point based on that, but truth is that they were few, and as they went away the other playstyles got more attention. I remember back in the day it was the same as today, same old moves, same everything. It's more refreshing to play newbies than higher belts, but don't make the past look like it was different.

Competitive or "try hard" play has always been much the same in all mods. And like I said, I have no problem with those playstyles, even in wushu, because the game allows for it. You can't change players' behavior, you can only change the environment and capabilities therein. Anyway, in the last line of my original post I was specifically talking about point holding and running in boxless wushu when I said "boring", not the other stuff.

Bear in mind I was talking particularly about the "death" of Wushu in the body of my post. I was also talking about a time much earlier than 2016... maybe this isn't your first account and I'm misjudging (this isn't my first acct either), but I'll mention this for added context: I referred to much earlier than '16. In wushu things were different, there was a whole melodrama thing that went down... and for those aware of the melodrama, I don't agree with the idea (which some in my clan championed) that you can make play "fairly" in tournaments. You can't force players to cb or not to shovel, lol that's absolutely crazy and delusional tbh.
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
I would actually argue that the problem isnt tryharding, but that the mods we play competitively arent actually that good for interesting competitive play.
These mods were made back in the day when people didnt really know what the optimal ways of playing this game even were.
Nowadays we know that crabbing, shoveling and just running are basically the best ways to win.

I would argue that if people could look for new more interesting mods with more complex methods of winning, for example such as mods where everything else but feet dq, making balancing super important on top of just dq or dmg. This way we could find interesting competitive matches.
None of the mods we currently play competitively really house that much competitive variety and that I feel is the problem.

Nobody has a problem with people tryharding in CS:GO or Tekken or maybe Dota, because those games are designed with competitive variety.
Toribash isnt that, and I doubt we ever will see people giving new more complex mods a shot, since the playerbase is already small, and set in its ways.

too true. But it seems they go for the old, less "interesting" mods in search of reliability, in such an unreliable game, particularly because you can use "cheese" moves in them. If you give duelers a mod that doesn't allow for something cheesey like shovels or point-holding, they probably won't want to play it because they can't stack the odds in their favor. I'm not sure if an "exciting" and "cheeseable" mod exists or is even possible.
Originally Posted by iTemp View Post
Toribash isn’t meant to be a competitive game at all you do know that right, but you do understand people will make any game competitive just for the benefit to get things out of it being competitive, toribash is too rng to be relied on at all in competitive

this makes a lot of sense, as a less skilled player and non-dueler I hadn't considered that in such specific terms.

It seems to me that duelers don't want to play more "exciting" mods, but ones where a win can be made into more of a certainty. You can't change a players behavior in a ruleset, you can only change the ruleset - but you can't force someone to play in a ruleset that is less reliable in a game that's already unreliable. Slightly repeating myself.

That said I don't resent intentional runners or shovelers, or whatever cheese players. The game allows for it, there is good reason to run if you're trying to win (tho, obviously from my clan I always cb), but the game also allows for chase - it's harder, but that's part of the game too. But I like challenges and don't care if I lose, and when someone is running a 30+ streak in lenshu or abd from a competitive meta, i'll be first in line for the meat grinder.
-----
well, anyway, who wants to play spiritwrestling or a5 or something.... what is it, a7, whatever.

Why don't you all just duel in lightning mods
Last edited by DrGonz; Mar 17, 2020 at 09:48 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump