ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Monitor refusing to use its native resolution
So I got a new monitor today, and it's already causing problems.

When I first plugged it in, it worked perfectly fine - I'm plugging it into my laptop and had to set it to be the main display. Then I moved its resolution up from 1366x768 to 1920x1080 (native res) and that worked perfectly fine. No problems.
Next I had to install a driver for my new keyboard, which required me to restart my computer. No big deal, I thought so I did.

And that's when it happened. BOOM. Huge fat poorly scaled 1024x768 screen on my new monitor. So, naturally I went to set it back to 1920x1080 - but now it wouldn't let me!
NO SIGNAL it said, which was a load of crap because it was doing it just fine before I restarted. The highest it let me go was 1680x1050, which I am sitting on currently until I get this resolved. Note that the option to use 1920x1080 was there, by trying to apply it resulted in the NO SIGNAL message.

I tried googling which turned up absolutely nothing similar to my issue, just people whose motherboards were busted or whose monitors straight up didn't work to begin with - NOTHING about not being able to use the monitor's native resolution but any other one working just fine.
I had a look through my Nvidia control panel because I saw something someone a while ago did to get it working involving their GPU recognising the monitor as a TV instead of a digital input. Similarly, my monitor is being recognised as "ANALOG DISPLAY" but I haven't any option to change that to digital, and again it worked fine before but will not now.

Monitor is an AOC E2260SWDN 60Hz 21.5" plugged in via VGA cable to my laptop. Also has DVI but laptop does not take anything but VGA and HDMI, go figure.

Any idea what's gone wrong and how I could fix it?

EDIT: I found a workaround by making a custom resolution in the Nvidia Control panel at 1920x1080 with timing set to GTF. However, I do not know why this happened in the first place and since I'm assembling a PC which will be using this monitor soon I'd like to know what causes this so I can avoid it.
Last edited by 4zb41; Dec 2, 2013 at 10:38 AM.
Usually this happens if you use VGA instead of DVI, because then the monitor can't identify itself (which is why it is recognized as an ANALOG DISPLAY instead of AOC E2260SWDN or whatever the monitor actually is). The generic drivers are running instead of the drivers specifically for the monitor.

Don't know why it worked in the first place, or why the kb drivers (by the way, what kind of kb needs it's own drivers? That's weird) broke it, but I'd say that is a problem. If I had to guess, I'd say that because you booted with the monitor plugged in it loaded a different driver than it loaded originally.

If your new computer uses DVI then you won't have this problem I'd say.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff