ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
[WIP] (semi) Realistic Judo Mod(e)
This thread is mainly for getting ideas and suggestions for what we should add or implement.
Anything (yes, anything) can be changed or tweaked to make this better mod.

Goal: Creating semi realistic Judo mode where you can execute "realistic" throws and win by ippon.

What do we have now:

Game settings:

Match frames: 450
Turn frames: 10,20,35,35,35,35,35
Dojo size: 800
Gravity: -25.00
Dq: Yes.
Timed dq: 60
Reactiontime: 5 (or less)
Damage: 2
Dismemberment: 0
Fracture: 1
Frature threshold: ?

Moded:

Non-grabbable head.
Trigger for allowing winning match ippon (ideas how this should be done?)

So, what can you suggest?

Anything. Might it be TF or Fracture threshold you are allowed (and even encouraged to) to sugget it to be changed for something.
Though, remember to explaing why we should do that. If your argument is good enoguh we'll probably do as you suggested.
< Larfen> also my replay thread has more views than the rules thread \o/

...This probably explains most problems in this community.
For the ippon, it could be a good idea to set dojosize to 1, then put a mat down with a trigger on it, and triggers on tori and uke's head (for a realistic knockout if head hits floor), pecs, chest, and abs (and maybe glutes). Because last time i did judo irl, i think the rules were anything except the back could hit the floor, and you couldn't step out of the ring.
this will make it so that if uke's back area/ head hit the floor, or if uke walks out, tori will win and vice versa. Only downside is no pinning with dqtimeout, but who needs that anyway .
So yea, I think this puts the ippon triggers to good use.
Last edited by fett175; Jan 29, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
<fett175> So what you're saying is, I can type whatever I want here and it will be at the bottom of all my posts?... AWESOME
anyway there was a request by smogard49 before to make a realistic judo mod, tho i made things exacly as he said, but i belive it may/should be different, since that mod have torso/leg grabs but no arms grabs as far as i remember.
s49judo.tbm

and one spriritwrestling variation that can be used as mod base, with some tweaks on your taste.
sw4.tbm

what i suggest to have and what sw4.tbm already got:
self dm
freacture only
fix grab limitations on body X
fix frames etc X
make arms and legs not dq-able X
wrists dq but no ankles dq
when more then 1 joints touching floor thtas auto dq
idk how but it works like that at sw4.tbm

and damaging ground X
( was already made in s49judo.tbm )

if this list is okay for you i can do it in one or two moments ;p
Last edited by snake; Feb 2, 2012 at 05:29 PM.
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
The problem with a ground that deals damage is that it MUST be THICK. Let me explain the shortcoming(s) of s49judo:
1, if the foot exerts a massive force on the "floor" it will travel below the floor and hence you are stuck.
2, The damage system should be set to 1, 750 frac and 1500 dm, believe it or not, fraqs are unusual, but quite realistic (neck + floor after a throw)
3, The size of the dojo is a problem, is ABD a good size? Most say no, Aikido, Nope again, but in between works quite fine as a single lift is not enough if the thrown opponent knows how to handle the situation.
4, Breakable grabs; Judo is not some "i gave superglue on my fingers" mod, its based on the perception of momentum and balance in relation to force and speed, TB does as of today not handle this, but it has been suggested.
5, Timed DQ, Ippon =/= timed DQ, it would be more realistic to either make it aikido like with instant DQ or to have no DQ at all; Judo is about joint pinning, not ground pinning. Instead of DQ a Fraq = win should work, but as far as i know, this is not yet implemented within the game.
Now doing recoloring for people not in the clan as-well, PM for more info!
PROUD OWNER OF THORN'S GOOD ENOUGH WRITER AWARD!
fix fracture and turnframes. rest is done. joints are weak, so you can't lift anyone up.
Attached Files
judo33.tbm (1.8 KB, 11 views)
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
Thousand thanks for snake, for creating this mod!

Originally Posted by Smogard49 View Post
The problem with a ground that deals damage is that it MUST be THICK. Let me explain the shortcoming(s) of s49judo:
1, if the foot exerts a massive force on the "floor" it will travel below the floor and hence you are stuck. The reason why I don't like floor idead. It' be doable but..

2, The damage system should be set to 1, 750 frac and 1500 dm, believe it or not, fraqs are unusual, but quite realistic (neck + floor after a throw) True. Thought mostly people tend to injure limps. Speed & Weight directed to joints does things...

3, The size of the dojo is a problem, is ABD a good size? Most say no, Aikido, Nope again, but in between works quite fine as a single lift is not enough if the thrown opponent knows how to handle the situation. I agree. Atm dojosize (800) is 'cause real judo tatami is 8x8 meters, technically it should be larger seeing that Tori's are ~2.60 m long.

4, Breakable grabs; Judo is not some "i gave superglue on my fingers" mod, its based on the perception of momentum and balance in relation to force and speed, TB does as of today not handle this, but it has been suggested.
Kinda true. I've been throw enough times to know that you CAN keep your hold, but it's not the best course of action (it's also friggin' annoying!). Also yeah, grip threshold would be nice. ;P

5, Timed DQ, Ippon =/= timed DQ, it would be more realistic to either make it aikido like with instant DQ or to have no DQ at all; Judo is about joint pinning, not ground pinning. Not really. But yes, I kinda understand what you mean. But once again we're hit with game's limitations.. O'well

Instead of DQ a Fraq = win should work, but as far as i know, this is not yet implemented within the game. yeah, that could do, but alas..

Summa summarum: Most problems are either "unsolvable" or you can change the game settings to fit your liking.

My points are from view of Olympic Judo and how *I* translate the rules. :P
(I've never SERIOUSLY done Judo, I'm more BJJ guy, but I enjoy poking my nose to judo practice and being throw by local judokas).
< Larfen> also my replay thread has more views than the rules thread \o/

...This probably explains most problems in this community.
you might be able to set different fracture thresholds for different joints, which could be interesting. I've not tried, but it's definitely possible with dismemberment.
<the god> the god
<@Smilies2> modding tiem