ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Raising Toribash's awareness
It's no news that the community seem to be slowly dying, each time there are less active threads and there are more players quitting toribash than new players trying it. This game is quite old, around ten years already but this doesnt mean it should die now, here I will leave a few suggestions which might help to keep it alive:

1st: Making things easier for new players. The current tutorials aren't bad but they dont help too much when you are new. They are already interactive but I believe that they should have audio as well and a larger variety of them.
For instance: like a tutorial on how to host your server or how to use the market and stuff like that. Dont tell me that you can find those here in the forums because most new players dont even check them.

2nd: Right now toribash is DMR free. However, adding a launcher might help new players as well as making it easier to update it. While loading, there you can show a few vids of the game, popular events as well as some tutorials and that kind of stuff. I would also add there links to the forums, probably to the IRC and clan boards.

3rd: The easiest way to raise the awareness of a game is having popular youtuber playing it. Yes Markiplier did ONE vid about it but that's not enough, what we need instead is a serie of gameplays which keeps viewers interested in the game. This might be the hardest of my suggestions since convising a well-known youtuber to play such a hard game which they probably didnt even know that existed and make a serie out of it kinda sounds impossible.
To make it more possible we should try to convise them by offering to help them to learn how to play and maybe give them some in-game intems, such as 3d items or maybe some textures. What really matters here is that they keep uploading vids about it encouraging their viewers to try it themselfs

4th: Some players get really frustated by how hard is to get in gane items without spending money, remeber that not everyone knows how to make good art and that at the beginning you cant just go around winning tournaments. Adding rewards from loging-in and when you get promoted to the next belt might decrease this frustation.
I am not saying that they should get 1kk tc each time they get to the next belt but maybe something like 1k or 2k would be nice. This however should change from belt to belt, when you are a white belt and become a yellow belt you should get something like 250 tc and it should increase each time you rank up. The daily reward from logging in should work pretty much the same way, take warframe log-in rewards as an example, they arent great but they keep players loging in constantly.

5th and last one: dividing the in game chat in the room chat, support, region, clan chat and IRC. This might sound a bit odd but its actually quite useful and will make it easier to acces the stuff members, specially for those who arent used to using the forums.

Alright that is what I suggest, I hope this helps the community to keep alive. We must keep this game alive, its worth the effort!
<Xioi> Become one with the bleach
Steam
3rd: The question is how you're going to get a popular youtuber to play it, or make a series out of it. The appeal of Toribash is only to its community. That is the problem.
Last edited by Lazors; Feb 8, 2016 at 06:42 PM. Reason: There's no reason to do this.
Almost everyone is directed to the forums when they're ingame at some point, where everything is. Banners already put events in members' faces. Having people play the game to publicize seems pointless, the game is already on steam. Making items easy to obtain takes away from developing the community. If you give tc for free, who would even want to learn texturing and such?

The game isn't really dying, and I don't think any of this is necessary or worth implementing.
Last edited by TyZi; Feb 12, 2016 at 12:39 PM. Reason: that's what i get for posting from my phone
Originally Posted by Kaneki333 View Post
I'm Brazilian, i'm alredy fucked every day i wake up

The idea of a launcher (similar to league or something) is ideal to be honest.
TB survives on its community yet the game offers no redirection to the forums at all; anything like that has to come from the existing community.

The tutorials are so-so in my opinion: making the introduction to the game nicer is obviously a good step and I support this notion entirely, but I don't think it would have the same impact a decent launcher/client would have.

The youtuber idea is maybe idealistic.

Point 4 is exploitable.

Point 5 is whatever. Feels like it might give people less reason to explore outside the client if you see what I mean.
I support It.
But no way rewards, if you want to help people, help Them, if the staff wanna reward you with some items it's a good idea.
TC is the money of the game, if you give everyone is the game will end
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(NimbleThief) I'm fag?
(NimbleThief) I agree
Originally Posted by TyZi View Post
The game isn't really dying, and I don't think any of this is necessary or worth implementing.

I'm not sure how you can say that in good conscience.

Assuming that the community ISN'T dying,, there are at best around 3000-4000 players. Pretty small community, either way. This kind of stuff wouldn't hurt that.

Originally Posted by TyZi View Post
Almost everyone is directed to the forums when they're ingame at some point, where everything is.

You took care to use words like "almost" and "at some point" so you're still technically correct, but you pass it off like it's helping your argument...

No, it can take new players a very long time to figure out where the forums are. I didn't figure out the forums existed until I was almost 2nd dan, and that's a lot of missed time, ESPECIALLY during the time critical to new players.

There's a huge learning curve for toribash, and if you quit you'll probably quit pretty early - while you're still trying to learn to play the game. However, there are a lot of resources on the forums that can help you learn, as well as a whole different side of the community that could keep new players rooted here. I think making the forums a little more obvious for players starting out would be a fantastic idea.

Originally Posted by Fear View Post
The idea of a launcher (similar to league or something) is ideal to be honest.
TB survives on its community yet the game offers no redirection to the forums at all; anything like that has to come from the existing community.

The tutorials are so-so in my opinion: making the introduction to the game nicer is obviously a good step and I support this notion entirely, but I don't think it would have the same impact a decent launcher/client would have.

The youtuber idea is maybe idealistic.

Point 4 is exploitable.

Point 5 is whatever. Feels like it might give people less reason to explore outside the client if you see what I mean.

I pretty much agree with everything here, except I'd be a little bit more enthusiastic about tutorials. I know a lot of people say that the only way you can learn is simply by playing the game, and I think they're 100% dead wrong. There are so many different things you could tell new players about joint configurations, applications and situations you use certain joints, and little tips and tricks. Especially so with newer players.

I'll bring up an example from outside TB.

I've been playing the classical guitar for almost three years. I'm largely self taught (as far as fingerstyle goes), although I did take regular instruction for the electric/acoustic guitar for a few years beforehand.

Now about 8 months ago, I started to look for more resources to help me learn. Looking back, I was pretty much garbage at the time (relative to how I am now). My left hand technique was sloppy (heck, my picking hand was sloppy too), and I was super duper slow and limited with how I was picking. Well, when I started watching instruction videos and asking for help, I picked up a lot of fun little tricks. I learned to change my posture, which has helped tremendously. I learned how to properly hold my left hand (fretting) to allow for wrist movement and ease for fretting on a wider fretboard. I learned a neat little picking trick that allows me to play almost twice as fast.

TL; DR - I was trash while I was self taught, and now that I've gotten help and instruction I'm actually pretty good.

So yeah. Better tutorials would be cool. For example:

http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=547666
http://forum.toribash.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=10

K0HTA is an egotistical dip so he closed the first one before he could get any feedback on the idea or elaborations, but I think the base idea is pretty cool regardless.
Last edited by Scissor414; Feb 8, 2016 at 10:53 PM.
Not all of the suggestions will work but some might help the game to improve.

If a tutorial similar to what K0HTA did was introduced in-game new players could get abetter understanding of how joins work from the beginning. This usually takes quite some time I remember I started figuring out how to use each join around a month after starting and yeah it took me like 3 months to discover the forums.

The second one seems like a good idea to develop
Steam
The problem is that development is awful, the game has barely changed in 6 years. 5.0 finally came but what a joke it was.

The game is very well known, with 10s of millions of views on youtube, you can find people in almost any game that have heard of toribash but with Hampa in control the game will never reach its potential.
There is not much to change about the gameplay itself, maybe a few bugs here and there, remember that the views dont mean that 10kk ppl have seen it tho when it got on steam most ppl checked it out, maybe with a launcher it would improve,at least for now.
It wouldnt be that hard to do, tho experience is needed in order to do it right, I tried doing a sketch of it but I am not good enough so I took Wf a a reference and put what I would do in each place. I choose Wf's launcher since I think that it's well made, doesnt have an overwhelming amount of info but it doesnt lack of info either.

Steam
I believe a Launcher would actually be productive. The forums news and updates could be added alone with links and shit. You could also potentially have a version list added. So, if a bug is discovered for your version of TB you can revert back to a different version easily until the problem is resolved. The same goes for if you do not like the current version, you can go back to how things were.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[VIBE] 2015~2016 | Team Pokemon | [Origin] 2014~2015 | Team Aikido | [Obey] ~Because Frost Said So...