Ranking
Original Post
Defining the best.
Got in to an argument about this in a different thread.

Now, I say that the best players in Toribash should be able to not only win games but do so by using move that are also appealing to the spectators watching.

There are the good players, that know the game inside and out, that know the mechanics and what not but they way they play isn't very appealing at all.

Then there are the players who can do the flashy kicks and the cool decaps and the crazy flips and saves but don't win as often.

I say the best is you can do both, understand the mechanics and take the risks of getting the good game play and winning.
There are so many players who can do "appealing things" and win games. The amazing players who win most of the time can also do flashy things if they wanted to. Being flashy and being competitive don't really coincide that well. Although it does work a lot, if someone is about to DQ in toribash they will do anything to not get out, even if it isn't flashy. I think that the best multiplayer player probably has a crap ton of experience, and is most likely capable of being stylish. So I guess that the best person at multiplayer will probably fit the description you're looking for. The best player is certainly capable of doing flashy things, in order to be the best you need to be able to control your tori in any way you want. It's just a matter of if they want to be flashy for the match or not. So the question should pretty much me who is the best at multiplayer, I think that might be TIcux.
Curious aren't you.
Originally Posted by apple123 View Post
There are so many players who can do "appealing things" and win games. The amazing players who win most of the time can also do flashy things if they wanted to. Being flashy and being competitive don't really coincide that well.

/thread,

Being the best is simply being able to win the most number of players in most possible mods. Nothing else to it really I feel.
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
/thread,

Being the best is simply being able to win the most number of players in most possible mods. Nothing else to it really I feel.

That's basically it, I don't think there's much room for disagreement.
Curious aren't you.
(This is me desperately scrambling for some sort of way to add depth to this conversation, I apologise if it ends up making me sound like a retard).

Well, if we consider what it is to "play" and how you can be most effective in achieving the purpose of playing anything then I would say the deciding factor would be the similarity between what you most enjoy doing in toribash, and what you usually end up doing in toribash. I personally prefer to lose while attempting risky but potentially amazing looking moves than to win in an uneventful and predictable game, ideally I would win while trying potentially amazing looking moves but if you are trying new things then it is nearly impossible (at least for me) to guarantee victory so losing stylishly is the closest I can get. If you just enjoy being better at winning than other people then never losing is how you become the best player and style becomes irrelevant.

So basically as long as your idea of the perfect match or toribash session is relatively similar to the reality then you are a pretty good player.
Good morning sweet princess
Originally Posted by Zelda View Post
(This is me desperately scrambling for some sort of way to add depth to this conversation, I apologise if it ends up making me sound like a retard).

Well that was pretty much what i was going to add to your point. Best isnt something completely subjective. There are some "subjective" factors in defining the best of something, but in a 1v1 game such as tb, its pretty simple. The winner of the match (in larger samples) is the better player.
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
/thread,

Raindrops keep fallin' on my head starts playing while flashbacks of every time cowmeat has said '/thread' show up on the screen...
No, but seriously, it's ridiculous. Stop it.

What defines a great player is entirely subjective, though I will throw in the opinion that I believe the knowledge of what to click at what time shows experience, and it's great to watch great players.
Originally Posted by MintCat View Post

What defines a great player is entirely subjective,

So I can say I'm better player than Messi? Or better runner than Bolt? That is ridiculous. In SP where the evaluated qualitites are aesthetic you can say its subjective, maybe then. But not in MP

You could possibly evaluate the best runner on the merits of who runs the prettiest, but thats just moronic
Last edited by cowmeat; Jul 20, 2015 at 02:04 PM.
But playing and winning are not equivalent. By definition the purpose of playing is enjoyment, therefor success in it is determined thusly. If you are not doing it to enjoy it then you are not playing and cannot be the better player, regardless of how fantastic you are at winning. If someone who no longer enjoyed the game beat me at it, they are the better fighter, but they are not playing anymore. If Toribash was a sport the term "playing" would have a less specific meaning but it is not.
Good morning sweet princess
Originally Posted by Zelda View Post
But playing and winning are not equivalent. By definition the purpose of playing is enjoyment, therefor success in it is determined thusly. If you are not doing it to enjoy it then you are not playing and cannot be the better player, regardless of how fantastic you are at winning. If someone who no longer enjoyed the game beat me at it, they are the better fighter, but they are not playing anymore. If Toribash was a sport the term "playing" would have a less specific meaning but it is not.

Well by that logic the term "best" becomes utterly meaningless. That is just a completely regressive agument. " If Toribash was a sport" Well the multiplayer aspect in TB pretty much covers all the definitions of sport for the same merits of "best" to be used in it as well. Two people competing inside a set of rules to win. You can have fun, but having fun isnt a merit for being good. I feel like you are arguing this point for arguings sake, not that you believe in it.

If you are looking at who is the most stylish player, the answer is different.
Or who's having most fun.
But to me, the best in MP means the winner.
Last edited by cowmeat; Jul 20, 2015 at 02:10 PM.