Ranking
Original Post
"Toxicity/Harassment" or "grow a thicker skin"
This topic has been on for a while in the community about Toxicity/Harassment and rules have changed drastically as well, but at the community has changed as well and not everyone is of the same age as well. There has been cases back then and now toward users and people such as TyZi if nobody knows, TyZi and staff members during that time have told users to "Grow a thicker skin" now this is kinda one sided if you ask me because this is the internet and i understand people can say certain things and what not, but during this time YOU could not say anything back to them and there was this instance people would get in trouble for saying something about TyZi and faking about something, and they would receive punishment for doing so but could it not be said the same to TyZi to grow a thicker skin? I am using this as an example to further my discussion.

There has been multiple instances with recent staff members saying "fuck you" and what not in servers to other users but if someone were to report them nothing would happen other than them getting a slap on the wrist as supposed to a regular user saying this to someone else they would get punished heavily for doing so. I personally think this is biased for the most part and or staff could possibly even argue against you in that case and protect them and tell you to "grow a thicker skin."

I am just curious on peoples opinion with the "toxicity/harassment" in this game and what they deem to be so and what could not, this thread IS NOT meant to be any troll of any sort and i just want to understand peoples opinion on the topic if people should "grow a thicker skin" or if they are truly getting "harassed/toxicity" because people could be jokingly saying words with their acquaintances and get punished for it.
#iTemp #Shockey
This thread was closed for some reason idk, but i opened it and it can stay open as long as it stays on the topic of the title vs "person X sucks cause they infracted me but person y called me a bitch the day before!"

Enjoy
Made the same argument when I got banned pretty stupid imo that staff got away with “grow thicker skin” but we can’t :/
I don't have all the details of the situations you mentioned, but I'll try and form an opinion anyway. Let me know where I'm wrong/missing facts and I'll re-evaluate.

I think there is a key difference in the situations you mentioned. In TyZi's situation, it sounds like multiple people came at him over the same problem that they had with him, that was (probably?) unique to TyZi. This is harassment. In the case of a staff member telling a community member "fuck you", it sounds like the insult thrown was not very personal at all. I doubt that the staff member in question had a history of throwing insults at the insultee, or continued to do so afterwards.

I think staff looks at the personalness of an insult to decide whether or not to punish the insulter. I also think that this is pretty reasonable.
alright guy
Honestly Toribash is only good because of it's freedoms. I believe that if we start tightening up like ubisoft did with rainbow, then toribash would no longer be that much fun. Considering the game is mostly about the social aspect. I think thicker skin is nice. If anything your child shouldn't be playing online games if you don't want them exposed to bad language anyhow. So I believe that multiplayer games have all the right of having toxicity. As long as it is not obsessive, it can be very fun. Plus if you're getting toribash through steam, it does have cartoon violence and steam is 13+ for the platform.
Originally Posted by fudgiebalz View Post
I think there is a key difference in the situations you mentioned. In TyZi's situation, it sounds like multiple people came at him over the same problem that they had with him, that was (probably?) unique to TyZi. This is harassment. In the case of a staff member telling a community member "fuck you", it sounds like the insult thrown was not very personal at all. I doubt that the staff member in question had a history of throwing insults at the insultee, or continued to do so afterwards..

this is literally it
edit: except the "fuck you" thing isnt me but I Said What I Said

chances are, if we've ever told you to "grow thicker skin", then we can just tell you are reporting someone for the sake of getting someone banned and you're not really offended by whatever they had said.. and i've only had to tell people this a handful of times in my years of being staff.. while i'm sure most staff would prefer people just stop being so toxic in literal turn based ragdoll fighting game, if we held people to the standard that other games like league have, then there would be no more users because everyone would be banned haha
Last edited by TyZi; May 13, 2020 at 08:10 PM.
Originally Posted by Kaneki333 View Post
I'm Brazilian, i'm alredy fucked every day i wake up

Originally Posted by TyZi View Post
this is literally it
edit: except the "fuck you" thing isnt me but I Said What I Said

chances are, if we've ever told you to "grow thicker skin", then we can just tell you are reporting someone for the sake of getting someone banned and you're not really offended by whatever they had said.. and i've only had to tell people this a handful of times in my years of being staff.. while i'm sure most staff would prefer people just stop being so toxic in literal turn based ragdoll fighting game, if we held people to the standard that other games like league have, then there would be no more users because everyone would be banned haha

Give it a month or two
I apologise for this post.
The way I see it is: If it's a one on one situation, a single act of abuse (in most cases) would not constitute as harassment. If, however, a person receives the same amount of abuse from multiple people in targeted effort, that's harassment. In other words it mostly depends on volume on the receiving end, rather than the other way around.

In regards to cases involving staff members, these will obviously involve bias, especially in such a small community. Can't do much other than accept it.
Last edited by Smaguris; May 18, 2020 at 08:34 PM.
I think a common misconception people have is thinking the bias is in protecting our staff. While we have a positive bias in trusting our staff because we work hard to vet the best applicants, but we definitely also feel like anyone who is staff is a representation for all of us.

So when someone makes us look bad, we don’t take that lightly. I think we’ve historically come harder on staff members who’ve done wrong than the typical user. I’m definitely not here trying to sweep things under the rug . If someone makes a mistake, we talk to them. If it’s bad, man do we act fast and are far less tolerant when we trusted them.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
I think a common misconception people have is thinking the bias is in protecting our staff. While we have a positive bias in trusting our staff because we work hard to vet the best applicants, but we definitely also feel like anyone who is staff is a representation for all of us.

So when someone makes us look bad, we don’t take that lightly. I think we’ve historically come harder on staff members who’ve done wrong than the typical user. I’m definitely not here trying to sweep things under the rug . If someone makes a mistake, we talk to them. If it’s bad, man do we act fast and are far less tolerant when we trusted them.

A bias towards trusting your staff is a protection of them. I'm worried that you think you work hard to vet applicants, because the last I remember, the staff trials consisted of "hey, do you all like this guy?", over any real vetting. What does the vetting process look like nowadays?

"representation of all of us" would be more correct, I think. Good, I have no problems with you holding your staff to higher accountability than the average user.

Can you give some examples of being harder on staff that fuck up than you guys are on average users? I've yet to see it, myself, but I've been gone for about a half year.

------------------------

On the subject of the thread, people in general need to grow a thicker skin and deal with things that are typed on the internet. You're never going to escape the opinions of people, especially when they think you're wrong. Stop crying harassment when someone says a naughty, and just move on with your life. If you have mental issues, stay away from the places where the naughty things are allowed to be stated, have historically been allowed, and have intentionally been allowed. On the flip side, follow the law in regards to speech and imagery in the place where they need apply.

Staff in general have had a historic problem with abuse of power in response to being shit-talked at by a user, so yes, they need to grow a thicker skin. Conversely, users need to realize that if we expect people to be able to voice any opinion, there will be retaliation towards that opinion, and sometimes that will be in the form of shit-talking. They need to be able to deal with that and have a thicker skin.

In short, everyone needs to grow the fuck up and stop being such babies.
FREE-SPEECH CAUSE FUCK YOU
ONLY COMMIES CHANGE AVVYS