Ranking
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Staff in general have had a historic problem with abuse of power in response to being shit-talked at by a user, [...]

I'm not aware of this, could you give some examples?
alright guy
Originally Posted by fudgiebalz View Post

Sure!

A known problem back in 2014-2015 was staff banning people from in-game events for harassment and spam. Granted, spamming in-game was against the rules, but there were plenty of cases where "harassment" was boiled down to saying "fuck you" to the staff in charge, because of prior run-ins with the particular user. I do not know how common this still is, but I can reasonably assume it still occurs at least on occasion, as we are all humans.

I'm not saying that these weren't reviewed later and overturned, nor am I saying I fault the staff entirely in the moment, but the argument they were intended to support was thus; Members of staff are prone to knee-jerk reactions, like common users, but they hold power that they must be responsible with. Thusly, when they do things like this, they must be held to a higher level of scrutiny.

If you wanted specifics, I'm not positive I can access the ban reports from 2014-2015 anymore, with me no longer being staff, and I'm not sure they'd even still be there, with the propensity we have to wipe backlogs, so I apologize.
FREE-SPEECH CAUSE FUCK YOU
ONLY COMMIES CHANGE AVVYS
Ordinarily the right way to go about "vetting" varies; however, some things done are:

1) Check the profile for any infraction history. If there are infractions - how severe are they? How recent? Etc.

2) Check recent post history. What does it look like? Are they posting anything constructive? What sort of maturity are they displaying?

3) Forum, in-game, and discord activity - are they active? Are they contributing in anyway to the community?

4) Personal anecdotes - who here has interacted with this user? Was it a positive experience? Can anyone attest positively or negatively to their demeanor/character?

Plus or minus other elements. That's just a practical small thing I came up with that I know I see being followed either intentionally/deliberately or just intuitively.
---

As for examples - I'd rather not "out" specific users. That's not particularly appropriate. In general, very rarely do we "drop the hammer" on users. I think the fact that many veterans of Toribash can identify more than two handfuls of users who continue to break the rules repeatedly and are one or another still coming back speaks to that. There's many toxic users with 20+ infractions on their main accounts and bans on alts as well that you may still interact with day to day if you actively engage in-game and on the forums.

In contrast, things like power abuse are treated very heavy handed (as they should be). Just like you stated, staff can and SHOULD be held to a higher standard than regular users. Due to the sensitive nature of when staff are caught abusing their power, I'm not going to feel comfortable dropping names. But I'm more than confident in higher staff like suomynona immediately shutting down any inappropriate situations performed by staff with a much shorter leash and badder bite when those situations do arise.

Hope that helps. I apologies that I'm declining to include specifics. That's a personal choice.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
Sure!

A known problem back in 2014-2015 was staff banning people from in-game events for harassment and spam. Granted, spamming in-game was against the rules, but there were plenty of cases where "harassment" was boiled down to saying "fuck you" to the staff in charge, because of prior run-ins with the particular user. I do not know how common this still is, but I can reasonably assume it still occurs at least on occasion, as we are all humans.

I'm not saying that these weren't reviewed later and overturned, nor am I saying I fault the staff entirely in the moment, but the argument they were intended to support was thus; Members of staff are prone to knee-jerk reactions, like common users, but they hold power that they must be responsible with. Thusly, when they do things like this, they must be held to a higher level of scrutiny.

If you wanted specifics, I'm not positive I can access the ban reports from 2014-2015 anymore, with me no longer being staff, and I'm not sure they'd even still be there, with the propensity we have to wipe backlogs, so I apologize.

What kind of in-game events? Are people not allowed to ban anyone they please from their own servers?
alright guy
Originally Posted by fudgiebalz View Post

My access to staff complaints (and the entire help section) was removed (and threads deleted) because I called bullshit on sir's handling of one of my complaints. He also threatened to remove the rest of my posting permissions.
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva
In contrast, things like power abuse are treated very heavy handed (as they should be). Just like you stated, staff can and SHOULD be held to a higher standard than regular users. Due to the sensitive nature of when staff are caught abusing their power, I'm not going to feel comfortable dropping names.

Super admins and (to a lesser extent, ninjas) are allowed to do what the fuck they want. Since Hampa doesn't get involved in forum 'politics', there's no higher authority to tell them to rein it in. Power-abuse gets called power-amuse and lesser staff laugh it off because you're not going to keep your staff position if you call bullshit on high staff.

It's how it be.
Last edited by Ele; May 20, 2020 at 08:43 AM.

Staff in general have had a historic problem with abuse of power in response to being shit-talked at by a user, so yes, they need to grow a thicker skin. Conversely, users need to realize that if we expect people to be able to voice any opinion, there will be retaliation towards that opinion, and sometimes that will be in the form of shit-talking. They need to be able to deal with that and have a thicker skin.

In short, everyone needs to grow the fuck up and stop being such babies.

Hey, I always stick with the position "if you want to shit on someone in my presence on the server, shit on me, because I don't give a fuck, unless you are using slurs that can offend somebody else". By that I mean if you want to be toxic, just throw this in me instead of people that can be harrased by you.

I never saw ANYONE shitting on me, even tho I am absolutely open for that and won't punish people if they use ME as their target. I mean, I know what it feels when you can't control yourself and transforming your troubles in internetzz discussions and shit like that, I overcome that and open-minded. But people don't want to shit on someone who will accept their shit with smile. That's odd to me
Ex - Moderator of russian sections
Ex-Event squad defender
Ex-Tori Agents Sentinel
Originally Posted by Ele View Post
My access to staff complaints (and the entire help section) was removed (and threads deleted) because I called bullshit on sir's handling of one of my complaints. He also threatened to remove the rest of my posting permissions.

What was the complaint and how did sir handle it?
What kind of staff complaint threads were you making?
alright guy
Iirc, I made a complaint about Icky's closing of a complaint I made against Reta (about power-amuse). Rules dictated that complaints could only be closed by the person in charge of the complainee (both Reta and Icky were admins at the time). So I made a complaint about Icky not following the rules of the board. Sir then got involved, refused to take my complaint seriously, and told me to stop complaining or else. Obviously I continued to complain.

May have mixed up a detail or two there - It was a while ago and sir (or whoever) deleted all threads relating to this. But basically, my permissions were removed because I was complaining too much. I saw my complaints as justified, they saw them as frivolous. Their perspective won in the end (since evidently, their perspective is the only one that matter). Why should they bother taking my perspective seriously when they can just remove my posting permissions and save themselves the hassle.

u like that juicy goss?
Last edited by Ele; May 20, 2020 at 05:49 PM.
this dichotomy of "harassment vs grow up" is really just

"report it and let someone else deal with it so i can feel the rush of punishing someone. i'm too much of a powerhungry dictator freak person to be in any real position of power so this will have to do"
vs
"it's the internet and i need to learn to take shit from strangers who i will literally never meet or know in real life. the extent of my knowledge about these people insulting me is the color of their fucking ragdoll character"

banning someone is so much easier than reading the fucking 30 screenshots of chat logs per report, i guess some just yell "transphobic" and provide too much paperwork to give a fuck about so they just pull the trigger
Originally Posted by Ele View Post
Iirc, I made a complaint about Icky's closing of a complaint I made against Reta (about power-amuse). Rules dictated that complaints could only be closed by the person in charge of the complainee (both Reta and Icky were admins at the time). So I made a complaint about Icky not following the rules of the board. Sir then got involved, refused to take my complaint seriously, and told me to stop complaining or else. Obviously I continued to complain.

May have mixed up a detail or two there - It was a while ago and sir (or whoever) deleted all threads relating to this. But basically, my permissions were removed because I was complaining too much. I saw my complaints as justified, they saw them as frivolous. Their perspective won in the end (since evidently, their perspective is the only one that matter). Why should they bother taking my perspective seriously when they can just remove my posting permissions and save themselves the hassle.

u like that juicy goss?

It sounds to me like they saw you as a boy who cried wolf. How many complaints were you making at the time?
alright guy