Toribash Texture Program
REASON...
So the internet is risky,and we take many risks to get what we want,
but sometimes those risks can cause us some problems.I remember when
I was staring out textures were confusing and I could not believe they wanted
us to download some program from the "INTERNET",even-though I and many
others did it does not mean it is entirely safe.If Toribash made its very own
Art program specifically for Textures like Mudbox.I am sure many more
will download it and we could have a new variety of artists.

PURPOSE...
To increase Toribash's uses,help those who need help,and bring a new style of art to Toribash.

PROS...

[1].This could help with finding new artists.

[2].Many will take interest in the program then the game or forum.

[3].Can bring in actual artists into toribash to experiment.

[4].Would bring new and creative textures.

[5].Would help many to be more effective in art.

CONS...

[1].Would take to long to create.

[2].Would decrease art worth.

PATCHES...

*WILL TRY TO FIX SOME PROBLEMS WITH THIS IDEA*
Last edited by frandavi; Mar 6, 2015 at 03:55 AM.
I said CROOK UP
Originally Posted by Squigling View Post
WTH? Gimp is relatively easy for anyone without brain disabilities. I could cook up a pimped ass set within in 2 hours of downloading. The only hard part is mapping. I think your idea is quite good, like Skincraft at newsgrounds for minecraft, but instead for toribash. It could help noobs a bit, and helps with mapping and stuff... But mainly this is more for the lazy ass people.

For minecraft it's a bit easier, there are just some pixels to color. Toribash needs much more quality, requires many options, brushes, effects like what Ps or GIMP already do.
I think that a new complex program is unnecessary, just learn to map or spend a moment to understand which is the right program to download.
Squigling-"WTH? Gimp is relatively easy for anyone without brain disabilities. I could cook up a pimped ass set within in 2 hours of downloading. The only hard part is mapping. I think your idea is quite good, like Skincraft at newsgrounds for minecraft, but instead for toribash. It could help noobs a bit, and helps with mapping and stuff... But mainly this is more for the lazy ass people."

Weppetko-"For minecraft it's a bit easier, there are just some pixels to color. Toribash needs much more quality, requires many options, brushes, effects like what Ps or GIMP already do.I think that a new complex program is unnecessary, just learn to map or spend a moment to understand which is the right program to download."

RESPONSE...

Squigling<---For some it is hard,but I know that with work anyone can become good for others
they quit,and Toribash may of lost another artists.Currently we dont have tons of
GOOD textures creators,but aren't you tired of all of those people who's mapping is just
crap and they keep spamming....ya that should help many of them.If they are not lazy.

Weppetko<---Are you tired of seeing noobs posting their crap "textures" all over the forum,at least
give them something more suitable for Toribash so they can map something decent.
If they had time to script Minibash,Toribash,and Chibi-bash(in the making?)
which are pretty well scripted,then why not make a program that just has a 3D model like Toribash and processes the body parts you drew into a flat texture,and so it still takes skills,but is easier.
That would THE BEST!
Last edited by frandavi; Mar 5, 2015 at 08:04 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
I said CROOK UP
If mapping is a problem use mudbox, it's relatively easy. Do your artwork in photoshop, GIMP or paint.net then import it into mudbox as a stencil and once you've put it on the limb you can save that item and it will automap.

Literally, the only reason you'd need this is if you don't want to do any hard work. The amount of skill required and the time it takes is what makes good art valuable.
Take that away then you suddenly have people treating texture making like it's 'simple' besides, even with an easier program to use it still needs some artistic talent which is one of the key factors that separates the bad and the good art.
Most of the bad sets you see isn't because programs are hard to use, it's because the artist is most likely unable to use a mouse to draw/ tablet or if they're just impatient.

The difficulty of the program changes nothing.
Life's not a waste of time and time's not a waste of life so let's stop wasting time, get wasted and have the time of our lives - Mr Worldwide 3:18
RedPanda-"If mapping is a problem use mudbox, it's relatively easy. Do your artwork in photoshop, GIMP or paint.net then import it into mudbox as a stencil and once you've put it on the limb you can save that item and it will automap.
Literally, the only reason you'd need this is if you don't want to do any hard work. The amount of skill required and the time it takes is what makes good art valuable.
Take that away then you suddenly have people treating texture making like it's 'simple' besides, even with an easier program to use it still needs some artistic talent which is one of the key factors that separates the bad and the good art.
Most of the bad sets you see isn't because programs are hard to use, it's because the artist is most likely unable to use a mouse to draw/ tablet or if they're just impatient.

The difficulty of the program changes nothing."

RESPONSE...

Redpanda<---Im sorry,but I cant agree with you on that,that is like
saying the tools you use to build a house does not matter,
of course it matters if you use an old drill that is not meant to drill a
specific nail then your screwing up already,sometimes its the material
open to the user that decides whether something will be good or bad.
I said CROOK UP
Here's the thing. A good artist can get by using maybe 4-5 tools, it only takes a few hours to search up how to use smudge, blur, paint brush etc.

Also your example is slightly irrelevant since what I'm saying is, it's not hard to learn to use a tool sure, if the program's crappy the artwork is going to be crap but Photoshop, GIMP and paint.net are simple and good programs, they're not some crappy second hand 'hammer'.
If I was to pick up a 'complicated' chainsaw it will have some kind of manual so that I would know how to use it. Just because I only know how to turn it on and off doesn't mean I can't cut some trees down.

If a user can't take the time to learn how to use a program what makes you think a professional coder is willing to take 10x the time just because someone didn't watch a tutorial or read up on how to use it.
Life's not a waste of time and time's not a waste of life so let's stop wasting time, get wasted and have the time of our lives - Mr Worldwide 3:18
The point was to expose more players and to stop crap textures on the forum.
Textures are hard to make for many and while it comes to many fast,and some take the time to learn it,this was to encourage more to try textures to see if they have a talent.
Toribash's Textures are not like many I have seen,and many others.Thats why the program was suppose to do.
I said CROOK UP
I have never had problems with "crap textures on the forum", not everyone is good at drawing and if you aren't you won't be an artist if you have this Toribash program. Anyone forces you to buy bad textures, everyone draws what and how he wants.
This suggestion is useless, for mapping use the templates that you can find here on forums and draw with the program that you like the most.
This will be my last post on this thread since I don't think you're getting the point Frandavi

The thing is, if you see bad artwork on the art board it's not because someone can't use a tool. It's the fact they haven't taken the time or effort to work hard on it, you can't give a nice and easy hammer to a shitty builder and expect him to build a mansion.

It takes time to make good artwork like flyingmonk, jeabus or pheature.
These guys worked their way up, do you think an easier program might have taken them from a beginner to instantly being where they are now? I highly doubt it.
There's a limit on how easy the devs can make it for you, the fact that they even released templates is a huge step up from other games like TF2 or CS: GO where most of the templates had to be leaked/ drawn by the community. If you need help you can ask for some tips from the famous artists.

Sorry, but I just really can't get behind this idea since artwork will still be hard and time consuming.
The reason why the good sets cost so much is because they weren't easy to make, if they were then they would be worthless.

Good points
A lot more people can attempt making artwork
It will be simpler to use
It will stop people wasting 20 minutes learning how to use a basic program

Bad points
The idea will crash some of people's hard work into something that won't be worth 10k.
Bad sets will still be posted and a lot more will be posted if more people try set making
It will waste 1-3 months of a programmers time
As a veteran Toribash artist I dont support this idea.
As many have already said there are tons of free alternatives to photoshop and if you have a virus protection software like all computer users should have youll be fine trying out different programs.
If this program was made I wouldn't download it
I still take texture requests for usd
Originally Posted by frandavi View Post
The point was to expose more players and to stop crap textures on the forum.

making it easier to access would not decrease the amount of crap textures, it would increase it.

a program specifically tailored to toribash would take more time and effort than its worth.
however, setting presets and scripts to make texturing easier, would have a positive effect on the community.
I know of a few texturers who have made their own scripts and shared them with people.
it makes sense to compile a list of usable scripts, we have standard rigs for 3D, making a few photoshop/gimp scripts public may not be a bad idea.

there have been suggestions and efforts made in the past regarding a basic online or ingame editor, with a series of preset shapes for parts of a face/other textures, to make basic beginner textures easier to access.
similar to the emblem maker from CoD black ops and CoD:AW

decreasing the amount of silly requests in the art market and a side effect being an increased focus on high quality textures in the market.

The staff at the time even agreed they would implement it, if the resources and presets were made available, however, it is a pretty big task and no one has stepped up to take responsibility for it.
having worked on my fair share of massive projects, i can tell you, its no fun.

Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
Bad points
The idea will crash some of people's hard work into something that won't be worth 10k.

thats not necessarily a bad thing, some texturers charge far too much for crap.
with a proper system in place, it could stabilize the art market and work as an effective TC sink.

Originally Posted by Calamity View Post
If this program was made I wouldn't download it

you wouldnt be the target market.
if you were new and didnt know where to start, you might have thought differently.
Last edited by BenDover; Mar 5, 2015 at 10:20 PM.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-