Toribash
Original Post
Is Goughy the Best Replaymaker?
This is a question that has been lingering on my mind for a while now. Those of you who are familiar with Goughy's replays will know that, while they do not hold the technical difficulty that a lot of the community does at present in the form of tricking, parkour and MMA, they are very enjoyable to watch and enticing.

My infatuation with these replays first began when I saw him blaze through a parkour map, stumbling backwards with extreme efficiency.
https://imgur.com/VRfxc0f citation

Now compare this with your average tricking replay.
https://imgur.com/paIMrtV

Now, we can clearly see that one of these replays required a level of understanding of momentum and movement in this game that Goughy might not be at yet, which many would consider a valid reason to view our subject as "better than" Sir Goughy. However, we must delve deeper into what it means to be 'good'.

If someone makes a replay that requires a high level of technical understanding to create, but is boring to watch due to familiarity, is this a good replay? I would argue that this defines a bad replay. The term 'replaymaking' refers to the whole process of creating a replay, from opening the game to that final save/notepad edit. The quality of the replay is objectively defined by the enjoyability and emotional reaction that the final product evokes in the viewer. Observing this criteria, we can clearly see that Goughy creates replays that are objectively better than your average tricker or MMA player, who commonly will try and copy moves they have seen their peers perform.

Now, back to the discussion of the 'best' replaymaker. I know I might be losing your attention, but bear with me, please. There will not be much more to read. I think that, regardless of race, gender, nationality, age, height or weight, we can all agree that a good replaymaker is someone who consistently makes good replays, just as much as a bad replaymaker will consistently produce bad replays.

Now I would like you to, using the criteria for quality that we have discussed, think hard, and try and think of someone who makes better replays than goughy. Nobody's coming to mind, are they? Sure, there could be more skilled players, more techically advanced players, but do they produce a more enjoyable final product, a more compelling viewing experience? I would argue that they do not.

Mentioned above is my reasoning for believing that Goughy is the best replaymaker. However, I would like to encourage some discourse on this subject, so feel free to debate with me.
Glimpsed
Originally Posted by Glimpsed View Post
The quality of the replay is objectively defined by the enjoyability and emotional reaction that the final product evokes in the viewer. Observing this criteria, we can clearly see that Goughy creates replays that are objectively better than your average tricker or MMA player, who commonly will try and copy moves they have seen their peers perform.

What if I don't like crap?
oh yeah
yes, if only for the reason that his unmatched efficiency allows me to close the game sooner, as i will have already seen the whole replay when others are just about starting a scoot

Originally Posted by pusga View Post
What if I don't like crap?

then you love goughy replays??¿
alright guy
Id like to think I've improved since then, I've learned how to remove my arms completely via notepad rather than just not use them https://i.imgur.com/2HIuQKu.gifv

THE WORM LIVES!
LegGang
Goughy is a phenomenon that nobody can really fully comprehend with an outdated perception of what replaymaking is. He is the avant-garde, the pioneer of a few, but already prominent and well-appreciated styles. There is no reason to call him the BEST, as he doesn't fit into the criteria which has its gatekeepers. He's not the replaymaker we deserve... but we will come to terms with, as he will break the mould and rise ABOVE anyone who deems him not worthy the title!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There are better replaymakers than goughy, but if we assume that they are worse than him, then that confirms that goughy is the best replaymaker
golf