Ranking
Original Post
[WiP]Real Snowboarding

Comeback Mod

Read the following before criticism:

This is a test snowboard that I'm working on right now. Unlike other snowboard mods in the past, which only allow movement in a linear path downhill (due to the frictionless surfaces that don't allow a change in direction easily), my snowboard uses 3 objects to allow some sort of movement down the hill (so far).

Features:

- Body adjustments to the knees, hips, feet, abs and lumbar to increase control and stability downhill

- Modified Gravity for speed and jumping height while still providing some sort of realism

- Intuitive snowboard design

- The head turns on the z-axis (like the skateboard mod) so you can look forward as you descend (good for movies and replays I guess)

Concept:

The snowboard uses 3 pieces, the main part of the board that you stand on, the holding piece to keep your feet in place and the frictionless bottom for travelling down the hill.

The plan is to have a board allows the following:

- Movement side to side down the hill with minimal effort

- Stopping and changing direction at any occasion

- Stability without using a balance system

- Minimal Glitching

Movement

As said above, the board uses two pieces for travel (the main part of the board and the 'frictionless' underside)

I did it this way so that you can use the main part of the board for stopping and turning and thus, moving realistically (to a certain extent down the hill)

Although the hill itself is frictionless, the main part of the board will collide with the hill as if they both had friction. This means the board will act as if it hit an obstacle and stopped.

When it does this, you can either:

1) Stop completely

2) Use the momentary collision to redirect your momentum in either direction down the hill

3) Begin performing a trick by flipping or jumping

4) Crash :P

Since the board only uses 3 objects and has the ability to do this, multiplayer races where the hill changes in direction are more than possible, creating a more dynamic experience. The player can stop, turn, perform tricks and ultimately have more control over the race.

Feedback
Like the title says, the board is still a work in progress and needs further improvement. I'm releasing it for feedback and support as well as techniques such as turning or changing position to share. (I will include some things that I do very soon)

Feel free to mod it (if you can) to find out what works and what doesn't

Anyways, have fun playing these mod but this isn't the finished product.

Improvement Log

11/07/2010: Made the underside of the board invisible, added more strength to the abs, added functionality for the glutes for more stability and recoloured the board into grey and red

12/07/2010: Added a board for uke for a little multiplayer testing
Attached Files
snowboard1drop.tbm (2.0 KB, 52 views)
snowboard1hill.tbm (1.8 KB, 50 views)
snowboard2drop.tbm (2.0 KB, 75 views)
snowboard2hill.tbm (1.9 KB, 72 views)
snowboardmp1drop.tbm (2.8 KB, 59 views)
Last edited by Smilies2; Jul 12, 2010 at 11:40 PM.
Pirate: smilies, your textures kick so much ass

<~ClockworkMonkey> sometimes, you don't try really hard and things just work out

thumbing through the bands I be playin' with the check, keep it real 'til I die, put it on my set Tapion's Avatar
4th Dan Black Belt
You finally took your time to work on the snowboard idea. That's nice.

One thing, just wondering if you've tried with more space between the legs, did it work?
I suggest adding a second snowboard on uke so that this can be a MP mod also. That would make me use it at least.

At the end of it make a jump and then make a landing pad and it can be a race kind of thing.
Well, I have to perfect the mod before I make it MP bloobing, it still needs some work.

I'll have some techniques for turning ready by today hopefully as well
Last edited by Smilies2; Jul 11, 2010 at 08:51 PM.
Pirate: smilies, your textures kick so much ass

<~ClockworkMonkey> sometimes, you don't try really hard and things just work out

Smilies i can carve ingame..if you want me to show you then just pm me and we can meet ingame..ive got so many replays already!
I Cant see the mod on the mod list!!!!
Where is it. can someone make me a shortcut?
...................Unibash Teacher...................