View Poll Results: Should we be able to use the word 'nigga' in Wibbles
Yes, allow it
51 Votes / 57.95%
No, ban it
37 Votes / 42.05%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll
View Poll Results

Original Post
Should we be able to use the word 'nigga' in Wibbles?
<~suomynona> ele: you're totally right about racial slurs in that post, yes.
<~suomynona> ele: Not aware of those exceptions, and I don't feel like making them for wibbles in this case.
<~suomynona> make a poll in S&I if you feel strongly about it.

I've been instructed to post here instead of the Wibbles 'Rules' thread. You can read and catch up with what's going in there (or maybe you can't, suo's moving posts to different threads). I'll briefly explain.

Currently, we are not allowed to say something like 'wuts gud ma nigga' or 'hahaha yeah nigga!' in Wibbles.

The pesky global rules say that whenever somebody says the word 'nigga', they're being racist and their post needs to be deleted/infracted. Clearly this not always the case. People can use the word 'nigga' without it being a racist attack on someone. It's all about the intent of the person using it.

So I know I, and a lot of other people, would like to be able to use that word in it's non-racist context. We're not talking about being able to use it everywhere in Toribash (the higher-ups definitely wouldn't go for that), we're just talking about letting people use it in Wibbles.

So, if you're behind this idea, vote for it in the poll. If you're not, then pick the other option.
Last edited by Ele; Oct 3, 2016 at 10:08 AM.
Originally Posted by nikosefs View Post
i said they will try to get away,not that they will succeed in it,
i mean some people will try to push the boundaries of the rule,yapping
how they were not racist when in fact they were.

Better they learn they were being racist in wibbles instead of in game or on any other threads.
People already push the boundaries of what conduct is acceptable nigga or no nigga.
How is giving nigga to users in wibbles going to change that is such a substantial way that we would need to take the word away?
-----
Originally Posted by Mercurit View Post
"Hey faggot, this thread sucks lmao"
"Shut up you nigga"

^ Firstly was ironic, secondly can be taken as a racial slur

No one says "you nigga" in a friendly manner, using it that way makes it a slur.
Now if you said hey nigga this thread sucks that's not using it in a hurtful way.
Not that complicated.
Last edited by Pimp; Oct 3, 2016 at 01:57 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
“Aaah rum zum zum aaah rum zum zum booly booly booly booly booly rum zum zum”
I agree, but I don't think everyone else would agree and that's the issue isn't it.

Most people read 'look at this faggot' as being homophobic
But if I infract a guy for that, what I'm gonna get very often is him saying "so-and-so is my friend we're just having fun - people were able to say fag in this thread and this other thread so why not me?"

Keep in mind what the actual point of my post is - I'm not asking if you think 'look at this faggot' is homophobic but rather I'm wondering where you draw the line and how you'd decide what's allowed, what's not, what's just a regional dialect and if that should be allowed and so forth.
Originally Posted by Fear View Post
what you're asking for is a less absolute rule, to be replaced instead by a context-based rule where we punish based on intention right

Yep. Not even asking for it in every board, just Wibbles.

i say: people are still gonna push it to the absolute limits of human ingenuity just to be assholes, but I guess we could at least try it

Originally Posted by Icky View Post
This pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Mhm, no harm in trying it.
I agree, but I don't think everyone else would agree and that's the issue isn't it.

Most people read 'look at this faggot' as being homophobic
But if I infract a guy for that, what I'm gonna get very often is him saying "so-and-so is my friend we're just having fun - people were able to say fag in this thread and this other thread so why not me?"

Keep in mind what the actual point of my post is - I'm not asking if you think 'look at this faggot' is homophobic but rather I'm wondering where you draw the line and how you'd decide what's allowed, what's not, what's just a regional dialect and if that should be allowed and so forth.

I honestly can't see many other situation where someone can say "faggot"/other slur is cool where I am from, if faggot is acceptable language where they are and they can prove that () Then give them some lean way, and teach them what's ok and not ok but If you tell them you can't say faggot here and they keep doing it, handle it.
It's clear when someone is looking to be racist or derogatory to another group and when they didn't know.
But people are constantly using ecigga, hitta, niqqa and so on to refer to each other in a peaceful way and it's allowed, No one is using rigger or maggot and getting away with it.
I'd still like to see how a user would put the use of nigga in a friendly manner to the brink of racism and get away with it.
Again maybe (dumb nigga or fuck nigga) but those are just insults that happen to use the word to carry them but those aren't really racism.
Anyway if someone does find a total grey area, do the same thing smods do when dealing with rigging reports, make assumptions from evidence given/past history.
I stumbled across this relevant video randomly. It's a discussion about offensive words and context. I think it would be educational for people who haven't given this much thought or who are perhaps on the fence.

Also I'd like to add that suo said this.
"Like I added in my edit, the racial slurs thing is for a different rule that has nothing at all to do with what your average user might think, but rather is an attempt to get a less toxic culture in the community as a whole."
While I don't see how there is a correlation to being able to say nigga and toxic communities as I'd think most people know that nigga (especially people of color) is regularly used as a term of endearment, I can however see how it would cause the degradation of African-American users in toribash and if toribash is supposed to user friendly (specifically in the wibbles board) where fun is meant to be had, it can be taken as toribash isn't willing to cater to everyone's interests and only a specific non African-American cultured group, which can also be the reason why there aren't many African-American users who are avid community members.
I'd be willing to say there is more of a correlation there than there is with having a toxic community and saying nigga.
I didn't read any above posts because I have problems reading big walls of text, but I believe that if you are using it in the right context, it's fine. I don't think it's needed, it's easy to find other words that aren't slurs to replace it, but I don't think it would be a problem as long as you aren't using it to insult anyone.

Rethought it, the word really isn't needed, there are plenty of other words that aren't slurs and aren't prone to be used out of context that you could easily use instead of the word "nigga". I know some use it to greet others, but even of a few people get offended by it, it's really not worth having it allowed, because you could use other things you could say to avoid it. I voted yes on the poll, I'd change it if I could.
Last edited by Kozmonaut; Oct 3, 2016 at 07:11 PM.
you're on thin ice, pal
i mean in all fairness it's pretty fucking retarded that this community has been shredded down to not being able to say n&ga or f@ggot

why are these rules still being enforced if "nigga" is being allowed in usernames? in all actuality, who's being offended by thE N word? i can understand homophobia, but really? nigga?

Last edited by Demon; Oct 4, 2016 at 03:07 AM.
pacquiao
Absolutely whole-heartedly supported, and that's the truth leaking from the bottom of my soul.