Ranking
Original Post
Should we be able to use slurs in Toriprime/VIP?
Unlike in the case of wibbles, Toriprime and VIP are completely hidden from the general public and are actually locked behind a paywall, which I believe constitutes them as private space

therefore I propose that the rule in Toriprime/VIP stating that no degrading slurs are allowed should be removed.
Many people use slurs in just general talk and especially words like 'nigga' and 'faggot' are used often.
Since the toriprime/vip boards are pretty secluded communities I doubt there is gonna be much trouble with any public image or many people being offended
h
If their reasonining for not allowing the 'slur' in Wibbles is legitimate and actually their position, then they have no defense for not allowing it in TP/VIP - an exclusive non-public board.

Keen to see if staff continue to be SJW and do some mental gymnastics to come up with another bullshit reason to disallow this stuff.

Also, interesting to see posts protesting the decison to not allow it in Wibbles mysteriously disappearing from the other S&I thread..
Seeing as TP/VIP is (imo) a private section of the forum - even moreso than clan boards (which also permit the use of any kind of language) I have no issues with this. I'd like to see some more discussion on the topic though, particularly from those who actively visit TP/VIP and some other forum leaders.
collect snots from the nose
Originally Posted by Gynx View Post
Seeing as TP/VIP is (imo) a private section of the forum - even moreso than clan boards

Hidden and private are two different things though. Clan boards are a clan's own subcommunity within TB, hence the lax stance we have on policy inside them.

TP/VIP is public, despite being hidden. Anyone who buys TP/VIP can see and use those boards, and they're the only boards they get for those subscriptions.

So the only difference is that most people / new people (mostly) won't see slurs being used in a public board. If slurs are allowed in TP/VIP but not elsewhere, then the policy only exists to keep up appearances.
Public means everyone is able to access it, Fear. Public doesn't mean it's available only to people who pay for it. It's not open to the general public, it's only open to people who have payed to have access - Paying customers only.

You wouldn't go to an airport, pay for a shitty seat and then expect to be able to chill in the First Class lounge while you wait for the plane. You'd get kicked out - It's not a public place, ordinary members of the public aren't permitted to enter.

I wouldn't focus so hard on the public/private distinction anyways - It's bullshit. Clan boards aren't private (private clan subforums are private tho), anyone can read them. More people, in fact, can read the clan boards than Wibbles since Wibbles requires you to be logged in for it to appear. Yet we allow these 'slurs' in clan boards but not in Wibbles.

I suspect the real reason it was initially allowed in clan boards is because they knew that would be taking all this SJW shit a step too far and the community would just go 'Fk off'.
Last edited by Ele; Oct 17, 2016 at 04:10 AM.