Toribash
Original Post
Rule Change in Private/Public Rooms
Hi,

We’ve recently updated the rules regarding private space and public space. I’m writing this semi-brief note to send the message along. Below will be a few points on why we made the change, what was actually changed, and finally, how it affects everyone going forward. You can find the rules in the FAQ.

Why

With the implementation of in-game reports, private v. public rooms were always a hot topic when looking at the reports. Tori-Agents look through game chat logs and replays to come to their verdict(s). “Was this a private room?” “What can we do about it?” were frequently asked questions among the team. The staff team discussed this and came to the conclusion to amend the rules. We felt that, through means of technicalities, “allowing” members to break rules because they’re in their own custom server, isn’t right. We’re not trying to shaft people from having fun, rather, keeping everything fun and friendly for everyone. If something is reported, in-game reports, or our traditional methods of sending a screenshot in, we deal with it.

What

For everyone, these guidelines should be common sense behavior, typical to everyday interactions with real people. Here’s the new rules paired by the old rules. Please take the time to read.

Originally Posted by New

- Harassment

Harassing (by insulting, name-calling, slurs, bandwagoning, flaming, trolling, and so on) other members of the game for any reason is not allowed. We wish to maintain a friendly environment, and any flaming or harassment may result in a ban. This includes any homophobic or racial slurs in any public space in the community

"Public space" is defined as:
Game - Any room that is not protected by a password.
Forum - The entire forum with the exception of Wibbles and clan PRIVATE boards.
If it's brought to moderator's attention and found that your language disrupts the integrity of the environment we're setting; warnings, infractions, or bans will take place. Try to solve issues yourself if you can. We can't possibly be there for every single instance. Asking to politely stop is a start.

Originally Posted by Old
Harassing (by insulting, name-calling, slurs, bandwagoning, flaming, trolling, and so on) other members of the game for any reason is not allowed. We wish to maintain a friendly environment, and any flaming or harassment may result in a ban. This includes any homophobic or racial slurs in any public space in the community - for more information read here.

And if you follow the link in the Old rules, this part, I'll put that in a spoiler

Addition

Going Forward

This isn’t to get rid of private rooms, you’re free to have your fun. Just be mindful of the others joining in. We strive to keep all platforms of Toribash a fun and friendly environment to want to be in. If you see behavior that clearly breaks the rules, report it. After that, ignore them using the ignore feature ingame. If you have feedback, you’re free to post, we’d love to hear it with the intentions of trying to improve.
Last edited by ed; Jan 21, 2020 at 08:36 AM. Reason: clarity

بسم الله الرحمان الرحيم

Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
really

suo gave me that usertitle after i resigned from smod bc i asked him. its a joke, it refers to overwatch healsluts, an actual ow community that calls themselves that. obviously, that has everything to do with this thread: ed explicitly said that they are banning a particular list of words, including slut, fuck, bitch, poopie (Sarcasm!!)

u dont really seem to get whats actually being "changed" here, theres just no way
-----
there was no hypocrisy in my previous post but OKAY!!

The post includes your usertitle combined with a position held in an argument. But ha, got me.

I don't care who gave you shit on the forum, what his name was or why he gave it to you. Furthermore, you're taking up a lot of space in this thread to explain the obvious. Perhaps your inability to understand a perspective, opinion or thought that differs from your own might be the problem. Let's agree to disagree and let you reee on your way.

▂▃▄▅▆▇█▓▒░ eVo ░▒▓█▇▆▅▄▃▂

Originally Posted by DrGonz View Post
So I think that the argument that we are fighting to harass people is a low-energy knee-jerk response. We're not fighting to be assholes, and generalizing us into that is a lazy tactic. There are good arguments for anti-harassment rules, harassment bad - no shit - but I think it's better to have a nuanced understanding of the difference between humour and toxicity. If overly-general rules are applied to target the toxic, I fear it will affect non-toxic players too.

i agree, and thats why i believe this rule can work if context is taken into account. if i recall correctly, the default procedure for handling bickering and harassment between users is for them to try to settle those issues between themselves first, before taking it to staff. if u tell me to stop but i keep being an asshole to u, then i will get infracted/banned for it. i doubt people will get banned for friendly banter.

I hate hearing the N word, I discourage it around me. That's just something that I find particularly gross. But kids love saying the N word. I can't stop them, but I can discourage it in my circle, among my friends, among my clan, in discord, in my private servers. If I enter a room where people are saying words I don't like, I can leave. If someone enters my room saying words I don't like, there are a number of measure that can be taken. If someone in my clan is harassing someone else, the clan can vote to remove that person, or the leaders can take unilateral action (though in fl0w it would be the prior).

i believe it should be discouraged in the community, especially because it is a small community, easier to manage. usually that sort of language isnt acceptable anywhere and will get u punished in larger communities. its also, imo, a bad look for the staff to close an eye to that kind of language

Imo Toribash is also much, much less toxic now ("now" as in the past couple years, not any more or less since the rule changes), than when I first started playing, before this acct. Maybe that's because the community is a bit smaller? I don't know.

sure, but i think staff also used to lowkey endorse toxic behavior a few years ago by having that "grow thicker skin" attitude... and by having some real assholes in staff as well. i think its in everyones best interest to move away from that, to make the community more friendly and approachable
-----
Originally Posted by CoKe View Post
The post includes your usertitle combined with a position held in an argument. But ha, got me

I don't care who gave you shit on the forum, what his name was or why he gave it to you. Furthermore, you're taking up a lot of space in this thread to explain the obvious. Perhaps your inability to understand a perspective, opinion or thought that differs from your own might be the problem. Let's agree to disagree and let you reee on your way.

bruh u brought it up not me, my usertitle is fine but alright
Last edited by Arctic; Jan 20, 2020 at 07:47 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
That was really bad sorry.
Someone tell me why this guy is highly respected by some people ???
Originally Posted by lily View Post
i mean no, i still think youre a dumbass but thats personal opinion, it seems like you and people like stone just wanna call people f*gs in public servers

Yeah, and you're absolutely welcome to call me a dumbass, or whatever you want, that's entirely our point. I have self-esteem, thankfully. Welcome to our side of the debate.
Also feel free to continue guessing words I like to say.

Fun fact: my profile pic is literally gay art and I've had it set for ~8/9 years.
i apologize to the fellow healsluts that mightve been offended by my usertitle

oops this was supposed to be attached to the previous post too bad i cant delet
Last edited by Arctic; Jan 20, 2020 at 07:56 PM. Reason: i swear this is the last time i entertain an EvO member here okay
That was really bad sorry.
Someone tell me why this guy is highly respected by some people ???
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
i agree, and thats why i believe this rule can work if context is taken into account. if i recall correctly, the default procedure for handling bickering and harassment between users is for them to try to settle those issues between themselves first, before taking it to staff. if u tell me to stop but i keep being an asshole to u, then i will get infracted/banned for it. i doubt people will get banned for friendly banter.

i believe it should be discouraged in the community, especially because it is a small community, easier to manage. usually that sort of language isnt acceptable anywhere and will get u punished in larger communities. its also, imo, a bad look for the staff to close an eye to that kind of language

sure, but i think staff also used to lowkey endorse toxic behavior a few years ago by having that "grow thicker skin" attitude... and by having some real assholes in staff as well. i think its in everyones best interest to move away from that, to make the community more friendly and approachable

I agree with almost all of this! I have concerns, and I don't think these recent rule changes will have a net positive. And I don't think people will be banned for friendly banter, but I do believe that implementing nebulous rules that introduce the potential for misuse is ridiculous, especially when they're only implemented because of people who think they get to decide what is and isn't offensive - something that I find offensive and will argue against. And if I think someone is being a piece of shit, I want to be able to call them on it without fear that I'll be punished because they have thin skin.

Censorship starts small.
-----
I have a right to be an idiot, and you have a right to call me one.

Arctic: no <24hr bump for you.
Last edited by DrGonz; Jan 20, 2020 at 07:58 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
I love that we can call people out on their bs and not get crucified for it! It's just not good that people like you call people f*gs and shit, I think that's where the line is being crossed (at slurs and things that actually offend people). Is that the middle ground where we're all standing on?
[sigpic][/sigpic]
Originally Posted by lily View Post
I love that we can call people out on their bs and not get crucified for it! It's just not good that people like you call people f*gs and shit, I think that's where the line is being crossed (at slurs and things that actually offend people). Is that the middle ground where we're all standing on?

Nah I don't think so, targeted harassment and getting called names you don't like are different things. Who decides what's offensive? But trying to find a middle ground is a good idea.
I think a lot of this has to do with what country we're from and how speech is dictated in each of those countries. I'm from the USA, so the freedom of expression and speech is highly emphasized compared to pretty much anywhere else that other people are from lmao.
<a href=https://imgur.com/gallery/AnXm6 target=_blank>https://imgur.com/gallery/AnXm6</a>
Dargon Moderated Message:
Infracted for having the best goddamn replays in Toribash history.

Originally Posted by Enclave View Post
I think a lot of this has to do with what country we're from and how speech is dictated in each of those countries. I'm from the USA, so the freedom of expression and speech is highly emphasized compared to pretty much anywhere else that other people are from lmao.

In my experience as a dual national, Americans are way, way more sensitive than people from other countries. A common joke to Americans in the UK is to say "welcome to the land of the free."

I frequently ask expats that live in America if they think Americans are overly-sensitive to words - none have ever answered no.
I'd say to try this yourself irl, but there's a chance they'd lie to avoid dealing with a potentially sensitive American.
Originally Posted by Enclave View Post

Okay 'merica.

Personally, I come from the opposite and I can say with first hand experience that censorship can cause more harm than you'd think.

Let's keep this toribash related though.

▂▃▄▅▆▇█▓▒░ eVo ░▒▓█▇▆▅▄▃▂