Toribash
Original Post
the genius of some cartoons and anime

vids

what do you think of cartoons/anime and the controversy against them whole heatedly?
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
From my perspective, I don’t know why people are against anime. It’s simply a genre of animation of another country. Where I live, the U.S, there are many people that enjoy anime, but also many who oppose it, saying it’s “trash”. The thing that frustrates me about that is I am pretty sure at least one of things that person does is from another country (this is not true everywhere, but it is true where I live).

I based this off of my own understanding, not the videos.
chalk
I don't care how old this post is but man this is a bit I've been needing to get off my chest. I've only recently gotten into anime last summer and I can tell you the answer isn't so hard to find. It's because people's first exposure to anime is most likely the "senpais" and the "oh doubleyou ohs" and the "you doubleyou yous" when really it's about the ALPHONSUUUUU!!! I mean hell, look at the guy above me's profile picture--and I've just realized yours too! The hell? People don't realize it's actually good entertainment because of the stigma it carries. And even past that, a lot of people are inevitably going to find anime cringeworthy because of the culture difference. I don't think I could get into anime if I was any couple years younger, for me I feel like I had to mature to really enjoy it. I haven't watched the other two videos but the anime addiction one is absolutely correct. Western cartoons just don't have the same amount of effort and don't appeal to all audiences the same way Anime and Manga do. Mangas especially are incredible because they can be the labor of someone's life, like Berserk or HxH. Also Robin Williams was a fan of Evangelion, so there you go.
Last edited by gunop; Aug 1, 2020 at 05:54 AM.
i like animation's ability to express abstract concepts, the initial attraction to japanese animation was that in the west cartoons are typically made for kids, and elsewhere it is not the same so there are less filters in the content.
good show is good
bad show is bad
the form of media is irrelevant

i was not aware of any controversy
current anime has been very trashy and very bad for the most part because there is now a huge market for it and even the bad stuff can make money so people are pumping out generic trash. its the hollywood effect essentially, things become more about money and less about art, and the things made with the sole intent of turning a profit are always the most advertised and thus the easiest to find, as well as the least interesting. this is why it is stigmatized.

also weebs are gross
I don't watch anime as it is inefficient, though I do read a fair amount of manga, this also helps me avoid the "generic trash" constantly being pumped out as Rage mentioned.

A lot of people are just xenophobic and aren't as accepting of new foreign things like anime and cartoon, or perhaps the fact that it's animated/drawn makes it seem "childish" and "silly".

I don't have much of an opinion on this topic as I really don't care, but for the people who think that anime/manga is all about silly superpowers and chicks with water balloon tits, I recommend checking out these mangas.

- Oyasumi Punpun
Genre: Coming-of-age-story, Psychological, Drama, Slice of life.

-Blue Flag
Genre: Drama, Romance, Slife of life.

-20th Century Boys
Genre: Mystery, Science fiction, Thriller.

For something less big brain and philosophical:

- Record of Ragnarok
Genre: Action, Drama, Fantasy.

- Quintessential Quintuplets
Genre: Harem, Romantic Comedy (Trust me, it's not as bad as it sounds.)

- Welcome to the ballroom
Genre: Comedy, Romance (Kinda? not exactly the main focus), Sports/Dancesport
Last edited by Sunther; Aug 11, 2020 at 08:35 PM.

SOMTHING NEW SOMETHING NEW

Originally Posted by basic View Post
read chainsawman if you have a big dick

i started reading it recently

i dont read much but my favourite mangas so far are:
made in abyss (its great, ive actually read it twice and its ongoing)
girls last tour (its slow and existential but i loved it)
(the art is really what does it for me in manga)

honourable mentions to dungeon meshi and nausicaa and the valley of the wind (i havent finished the latter yet)

also if you like psychological horror watch perfect blue, great japanese animation movie to watch when youre in a trippy state of mind, its slow to start with but does a great job at expressing paranoia and dissociation which is the kinda shit i fux wit in movies/series
-----
oh yeah uzumaki is a good read too (more psychological horror)
Last edited by RAAAGE; Aug 13, 2020 at 10:22 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
the first part of uzumaki is so retarded u tell me this entire group of students simply agreed to brutally murder this chick just because she was kind of a bitch even when the whole thing was obviously an accident
-----
wait nevermind i was thinking of tomie lol im also retarded
Last edited by basic; Aug 15, 2020 at 05:09 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump