ES Recruitment Drive
View Poll Results: which operating system do you think is better?
Windows
29 Votes / 43.94%
Mac
16 Votes / 24.24%
Linux
21 Votes / 31.82%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll
View Poll Results

Originally Posted by EverBlade2 View Post
Personally, I prefer OSX, and Macs in general, because, for their price, they beat most PC's in terms of processing power, and other things. However, having them custom built is a complete pain.

You couldn't be more wrong with that statement.
Macs are always, always, ALWAYS way too overpriced for its specs, when compared with a regular computer. And you don't need to be tech savvy or a genius to stomach that reality.

Thats really one of the things I dislike about Apple's philosophy of business: they give you little to no choice. They dictate what you can use, and do so while using speculative and unjust prices, exploiting your sorry ass. While producing the goods just like any other company, with cheap Taiwanese labor...
Reminds me of the blood diamonds: Get stuff cheap, sell it for astronomical prices.
Last edited by GenkiSudo; Dec 10, 2010 at 03:53 PM.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi
Anyway...
As Genki already stated, Apple always overprices Macs. You're paying maybe around a +$200 USD premium, or even more.
I do give credit to Apple's marketing.
They seem to appeal to the "non-computer" savvy user, however everything in OSX can be done similarly through windows or linux.

Windows, the most common operating system for Personal Computers, and it'll likely stay like that way for awhile. Especially since it is the best OS for gaming right now. Despite quite a few problems.
(Many have ways around it.) I.E. : Viruses, use reliable antivirus and browse safely.

See, more malware is created for Windows because it's more common than OSX or Linux.
The point is to affect as many as possible.
If OSX were to be more common than Windows, it is likely that will be the main target for Viruses and such.

I would have to say, everybody needs to try Linux, at least once.
I had it on my old machine for about 5 months,
until changing to a new computer.
Many aspects of it, I really miss. Mostly, would be the freedom,
and the ease of downloading many programs.. Like Ubuntu "sudo apt-get
install x".
Seems as though I had the best video playback on Linux too,
maybe I hadn't experimented enough on XP though.

All-in-all, the 3 operating are pretty equal, depending on what your computer is for.
Imho, the price Apple is making you pay for a system with OSX is... much.
Don't read this.
Windows is more popular, and the most common.
Mac is usually for business and camera photos.Mac is also cool because the battery lasts longer than the others.
But for Linux, I never used it.
this is obviously old news, but i recently heard Google is coming out with its own OS, its coming in its own machine, like mac, but knowing how many people trust Google chrome, its going to take over the market place
Originally Posted by waffle85 View Post
this is obviously old news, but i recently heard Google is coming out with its own OS, its coming in its own machine, like mac, but knowing how many people trust Google chrome, its going to take over the market place

No its not going to "take over the market place": It is a Linux-based OS for netbooks. And netbooks will never take over the market place because people need more than just powerless machines that can only access the web and can't do much more than that...
Last edited by GenkiSudo; Dec 12, 2010 at 04:09 PM.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi
I would think that Windows would be the best. It is the easiest to use. With mac, there are some things than you can't download. I think mac is for business. Windows is for regular computer use (games,easy internet, etc). And I have nothing to say about Linux
Originally Posted by MARDOBOY View Post
And I have nothing to say about Linux

Why not?

Isn't this supposed to be a comparison between three different options?

If people who vote have nothing to say about one or two of those options, because they probably don't even know it, then that would be like 6 wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Last edited by GenkiSudo; Dec 12, 2010 at 06:38 PM.
Ive had a macbook and imac for quite some time now and ive never gotten a virus, also on macs there is way more features
Originally Posted by boltgod View Post
Ive had a macbook and imac for quite some time now and ive never gotten a virus, also on macs there is way more features

Compared to what? Can you prove your statement?
Personally, I chose Linux because despite the massive number of distributions, some unsupported and such, I feel that Linux has the best technical support and userbase. I run Linux Mint and Windows Tiny7 on two drives, and I regularly find myself going for weeks without even thinking about the Windows drive. In general, things run better, with fewer fixes needed on *insert linux here*. Linux has had fewer issues with my hardware, and various peripherals, even supporting my phone, which is rather old and unsupported by the newest version of it's software on Windows.

I have little against OS X as an operating system, but for what I do, it's simply not the best. Ableton Live runs better on Windows in my experience, as well as Autodesk Maya. My experience with OS X is limited, but it doesn't seem to meet my needs, as well as the fact that Macs are very very overpriced. Hackintosh'ing is always an option for running OS X, but most are not supported as well as native apple hardware, and the best part of Macs (the trackpad) is not the same.