Toribash
Original Post
1024x1024 Heads
Ive recently been talking to a few artists who think that 1024 textures would be a good idea, i also believe this. The additional amount of detail that you could put into something that size would be amazing, already amazing artists would be able to be able to create amazing fully detailed heads. The 1024 textures would be expensive yes, however they would give vast improvement and idea's to textures, due to this sets that would be turned out would be have much more detail, making textures true ability to bee seen without the actual texture quality being tarnished.

Note :: Im not entirely sure that this has been suggested before forgive me if it has been.
Ha, people have been trying to scam me off my 512x512 head with this for some time. ''Give me your 512x512 head and i will give you my 1024x1024 head'' etc.

Anyway, I'm not very sure about this idea. This would for one be SUPER expensive. as it's double the pixels of the 512, wich already is pretty expensive. After you will need even more tc for the rest of the textures. and after that the joints etc. Artist would have to choose between making 1024 ones or 512 ones while making heads and it will be much harder with double the pixels to make a good looking head or texture.

I don't really see any needs of a new texure size. 512 is good enough for me.
Not supported
Last edited by Mack; Dec 19, 2014 at 09:16 AM.
|Opener by Xioi|#KillTheScootCork|
|Replays|
"Cool delfin med solglajjor" -Larfen
Originally Posted by mackanak01 View Post
Artist would have to choose between making 1080 ones or 512 ones while making heads and it will be much harder with double the pixels to make a good looking head or texture.

I don't really see any needs of a new texure size. 512 is good enough for me.
Not supported

you have no idea what you are talking about. first of all, it doesn't matter for texture artist what resolution to use, or i should say that the higher resolution is, the more comfortable artist feel making a texture.

second, 1080 is screen resolution and relevant to 16:9 screens, not textures
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
Oops my mistake, I'm too used to youtube and stuff. Anyway, you don't have to care about what i say. My thoughts are my thoughts so if you support this you might just as well write about what you think about the idea, not the people writing about it. If you want to discuss this further i recomend you pm me so that neither of us get an infraction.

Pretty sure the main reason of this board is discussing, you react to OP, someone else reacts to you, and so on.

I think this may be a good addition to the game, since it's always possible to higher the resolution, zooming in to 512 textures makes you still see the pixels.
But I got the feeling this could cause pretty hard lags for people with bad laptops, mainly while downloading the textures.
I don't think there would be a problem with artists not knowing what size to use, they just all gonna use 1024 and people chose on what size item they wear it. Same as everybody makes them in 512 now and people can also wear it on 128.

But on the other side, look at heads made by people like jebus, do you really got the need for better quality?
Hi
Rapid Threads Lmod.
Got any questions? Feel free to ask!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I don't really see the need for this as 512 textures are high enough quality as they are and you need to zoom so far in you're near enough touching it to notice any change and secondly it already takes a second for my tori to load and have experienced people complaining about it now if I was using 1024 textures people and myself would die so pls no.

Oh god think of the download time '0'

THE WORM LIVES!
LegGang
This would for one be SUPER expensive. as it's double the pixels of the 512

1024x1024 is four times the pixels of 512x512, just sayin.

Bad idea. 512 textures are detailed enough as it is. Introducing 1024 would mean that 256 and 512 prices would go down, which in turn would mean more people having access to those sizes, which would increase server load and clutter size in your game folder.
No real benefit for that much trouble isn't that good of a trade in my opinion.

(Still using the 128 textures i was using 4-5 years ago, so I don't really give a crap about texture sizes anyways.)
Last edited by ynvaser; Dec 20, 2014 at 04:03 AM.
Originally Posted by ynvaser View Post
1024x1024 is four times the pixels of 512x512, just sayin.

Bad idea. 512 textures are detailed enough as it is. Introducing 1024 would mean that 256 and 512 prices would go down, which in turn would mean more people having access to those sizes, which would increase server load and clutter size in your game folder.
No real benefit for that much trouble isn't that good of a trade in my opinion.

(Still using the 128 textures i was using 4-5 years ago, so I don't really give a crap about texture sizes anyways.)

Which means that if this is 4 times the pixel of 512... The price is going to be a lot more higher. The idea is pretty bad to have a 1024 then. 256 and 512 are the best ones for now.
The Smoke Will Never Clear
#LLPS 💙💫
none of you seem to know what you're talking about, and ynvaser, having more textures in the customs folder doesn't seem like that bad of a problem, the 4 times as many pixels thing applies to 128 -> 256 and 256 -> 512 so i'd assume the price would be around 40k per texture, so it wouldn't be that expensive

Another thing, we should be expanding our market if we're planning to expand toribash, so we should be adding more items, as to accommodate for the newly gained players.

~Supported
Last edited by socraties; Dec 21, 2014 at 12:30 AM.
I don't see why people are using arguments like "it'll be too detailed", "i think 512 is detailed enough", and "it'll be expensive".

How can the texture be too detailed for your liking?

And about the price going down on other items, would it really be that big of a deal if it did?

And lastly, saying it's too expensive is just dumb. Demon force costs what, 240k in shop or something like that, but we still have it. Same with void and lots of other items. If it's too expensive you you, then just don't buy it. Don't take the opportunity away from others.
I sell TC and I give loans. PM me for info.
Need help with market? PM Ryan
<augans> youre my thiggist
<Muze> Id like to say, I don't apologize, I'm a tough guy in irl and I will be a tough guy in a video game. Ok that's it.

As for the load problems, developing a method of downscaling options to a choice of 128, 256 etc for the client would be a nice way to remedy the problem. This way it is only client side and server loads/bandwidth will not increase. The buyer reaps his benefits of high detail. The people with bricks for computers don't suffer. 10/10?