ES Recruitment Drive
No.

It's saying that our identification of 'violent'/'problematic' acts becomes broader and more encompassing over time, for a variety of reasons. That's concept creep (the first article).
The other part of this is that as things become rarer, if we're looking for them, we can still find them even when they're not there, solely because we are trying so hard to look for them. That's prevalence-induced concept change (the second article).

If you take these two articles together, it explains something that's happening in our culture. We look for shit to complain about in the absence of really big smelly shits (we complain about farting perhaps, which isn't even shitting).
We whinge and cry about stuff that people who've dealt with actual existential threats would brush off. We get mad at Smaiva for making a 'did u assume my gender' joke.

"Although conceptual change is inevitable and often well motivated, concept creep runs the risk of pathologizing everyday experience and encouraging a sense of virtuous but impotent victimhood."

Modern living absolutely has its problems. I'm not denying that. I am asserting, however, that some 'modern problems' are only problems because people are looking to make mountains out of mole-hills (pathologizing everyday experience).

My recommendation for everybody to go get punched in the face is aimed at getting people to put their threats into perspective. Life doesn't need to be violent to be normal, but having some violence in your life can put things into perspective.

ty for coming to my ted talk
Last edited by Ele; Feb 10, 2020 at 06:27 PM.
i understand.

how can we distinguish actual modern problems from pathologized problems?
alright guy
Good question. I'll think about it.

First thought is just 'If I see it, I'll know it'. Present me with a problem and I can tell you if it's a real problem or not. In my opinion it would be fairly self-evident.

That leads to my second thought of 'Well, it's not self evident to everyone, is it? Some people think it's a real problem'.

Which leads to my third thought of 'The problem can be subject to a 'reasonable/almost any person'' check'. In the first article it talks about the concept of 'trauma' and how conceptual change affected it. It used to be that for an experience to be considered 'traumatic' it would only be traumatic if 'almost everyone' would agree that it was indeed a traumatic experience. Another way to look at it; many countries have the concept of a 'reasonable person' embedded in their legal system (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reasonable_person). If any 'reasonable person' would consider x to be x, then x is x. If any reasonable person considers microaggressions to be a bullshit problem, then microaggressions are a bullshit problem.

Which leads to my fourth thought 'Shit, what if a 'reasonable person' isn't actually reasonable anymore'. Pretty much nothing is safe from concept change (except maybe hard, concrete realities). What if almost everyone gets sold on the idea of microaggressions being valid (microaggressions are now 'reasonable'). What if everyone decides it's a reasonable thing to no longer clap (it's 'anxiety-inducing' for some), and everyone starts jazz-handing instead. What if that becomes the new norm?

Which leads to my final thought (for now) of 'No, that's ridiculous, people won't just accept bullshit because SJWs tell them they should'. So, I guess I stand by my 3rd thought. We can distinguish actual modern problems from pathologized problems through an 'almost everyone/any reasonable person' check. For the purposes of that check, anyone with super-strong leanings, one way or the other (SJWs or Nazis), can be safely ignored. That said, I'm not saying the SJW camp can't ever identify a problem that 'almost anyone' would agree is a problem - I'm sure they could (and probably have). I'm saying that everybody else (reasonable people) would have to agree with them in order for the problem they raise to be recognised as a legit problem.
Last edited by Ele; Feb 10, 2020 at 08:13 PM.
Originally Posted by Ele View Post
No.

It's saying that our identification of 'violent'/'problematic' acts becomes broader and more encompassing over time, for a variety of reasons. That's concept creep (the first article).
The other part of this is that as things become rarer, if we're looking for them, we can still find them even when they're not there, solely because we are trying so hard to look for them. That's prevalence-induced concept change (the second article).

If you take these two articles together, it explains something that's happening in our culture. We look for shit to complain about in the absence of really big smelly shits (we complain about farting perhaps, which isn't even shitting).
We whinge and cry about stuff that people who've dealt with actual existential threats would brush off. We get mad at Smaiva for making a 'did u assume my gender' joke.

"Although conceptual change is inevitable and often well motivated, concept creep runs the risk of pathologizing everyday experience and encouraging a sense of virtuous but impotent victimhood."

Modern living absolutely has its problems. I'm not denying that. I am asserting, however, that some 'modern problems' are only problems because people are looking to make mountains out of mole-hills (pathologizing everyday experience).

My recommendation for everybody to go get punched in the face is aimed at getting people to put their threats into perspective. Life doesn't need to be violent to be normal, but having some violence in your life can put things into perspective.

ty for coming to my ted talk

There is a psychological term used for this in a nutshell, though it passes my mind currently, that indicates a person who actively looks for problems through their nature that is a little more detailed and less negative in terms of connotation than "pathologist".

But.. I think the best way on DEALING with such problems is to teach people that the right question is more important than the right answer. We underestimate and overestimate ourselves in believing we have the ability to understand things without speculation and without asking the right questions, the right speculations about the wrong things will be made as a predatorial instinct. Imo, the most important things that can be said are the things that actually make people "think" rather than "bow down."

The reason I argue so much with maya is that I believe she doesn't understand that notion that took me years to get to. I don't argue because I expect change to happen overnight, but I do argue so I can atleast envelop such change at the pace which was meant to be through my actual investment.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Originally Posted by Enclave View Post
I mean Ele has a point lmfao. I used to get beat with a belt or tanned with a spoon if I acted up. Nowadays that's "child abuse" to those who must've had senseless parents and god forbid those people ever have children. A perfect reason for how to ensure discipline in kids. Corporal Punishment is the term.

This post is from 2010 facebook groups where parents happily join the "I will discipline my kids my way" groups and explain away any child abuse case they felt compelled too with "i wouldnt do it that way but its fine because x/y/z"

I GOT MY ASS BEAT AND I TURNED OUT FINE is one thing

but if you think its a reasonable conclusive thought is "so clearly i need to beat my kids" you ain't fine yo.
Beating them senseless isn't the same as disciplining them for doing something wrong -_-.
<a href=https://imgur.com/gallery/AnXm6 target=_blank>https://imgur.com/gallery/AnXm6</a>
Dargon Moderated Message:
Infracted for having the best goddamn replays in Toribash history.

Originally Posted by Maya View Post
All of this assumes that the majority of people are reasonable and understand the implications of their actions.

For instance, the majority of people are still queerphobic and casually spread queerphobic ideas through jokes or otherwise. Just because the majority doesn't see it as an issue doesn't mean it's not an issue. The majority of people have been bigoted for the entirety of human history. Leaving any of this up to "most reasonable people" is ridiculous because of this context. Centrism doesn't help us here (or ever).

I'd challenge your contention that most people are queerphobic, at least in modern western societies. You can't go out and call a gay person a faggot. That is a shunned act - You would get shouted down by onlookers. I also think that you can't draw a straight line between someone telling a joke (e.g. a wife-beating joke) and then some bozo going out and beating his wife because he heard that joke. It doesn't happen.

With respect to making jokes, I think this is another appropriate time to drop this quote;

Disregarding universal queerphobia (which isn't a thing), the views that reasonable people hold change over time, of course. American founders were quite content to own slaves, as was everyone in the ancient world. It was a reality of the times. There are doubtless other 'moral revolutions' waiting to happen - And if they've valid, reasonable people will jump on board and establish new moral norms. That's how it happens.

Using the 'not wanting to fuck transexuals is bigoted' example, that ain't a valid problem. Tonakai, one of the most level-headed dudes I know, even agreed that that specific point was 'dumb'. The world will never come to a place where everybody thinks it's bigoted not to fuck a transexual, because that is simply not a reasonable concept (not now, not ever).

Factory farming is a legit problem, and if you talk with people about it, while they may view it as a necessary evil (there's a lot of mouths to feed), they'll also contend that when it no longer becomes necessary (and yes people will argue about whether its even necessary right now), it ought to stop immedietely. There's a moral revolution here waiting to happen, and it probably will happen. Reasonable people (spurred on by activists) will make it happen. This brings me back to what I said earlier;
Originally Posted by Ele
For the purposes of that check, anyone with super-strong leanings, one way or the other (SJWs or Nazis), can be safely ignored. That said, I'm not saying the SJW camp can't ever identify a problem that 'almost anyone' would agree is a problem - I'm sure they could (and probably have). I'm saying that everybody else (reasonable people) would have to agree with them in order for the problem they raise to be recognised as a legit problem.

Last edited by Ele; Feb 11, 2020 at 07:59 AM.
Well yes officer, but I only beat that defenseless child a little bit. You see, they were annoying me.
-----

"the pace which was meant to be"
What the hell does this mean? There is no pace which is "meant to be." I see bigotry, I tell people to fucking knock it off. If they don't, I explain why their behavior is problematic. You, in particular, have been incredibly resistant to understanding your own bigotry. There is no "pace which was meant to be" which prevents you from removing that bigotry more immediately. It's a very poor excuse not to be more tolerant. The only thing stopping you is your ego.

why don't you go pass laws instead of being an insufferable prick on the internet of all places?

I doubt ill see you ever making real change. RIP
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
You'd like to think that, I would too... but that's actually not the reality. In most places even here in the US people do not feel comfortable coming out as queer, nevermind being visibly queer on the street.

There's gays kids everywhere. It is not a taboo these days - It ain't the 50s.

Every now and again you'll see a video of some person being racist/sexist/homophobic to another person in some public place (like a bus). You ever see the comment sections for these videos? It's full of people calling the racist/sexist/homophobic person a piece of shit. Bigotry aint acceptable and any reasonable people knows that.

It removes weight from these issues, makes light of them.

Yes, that's what jokes are supposed to do. You take serious issues and you turn them into comedy. I think that putting a category of people into a space where they're 'protected' from jokes actually just disempowers and furthers the notion that these people are victims who should be treated differently from everyone else.

All comedy is fair game. There are bad jokes and there are good jokes. I've heard funny woman-beating jokes and I've heard horrible woman-beating jokes. Woman-beating jokes ought not to be banned. If they're bad, don't laugh.
So the majority of German citizens just being complacent with the alienation and subsequent genocide of Jews... the reasonable people jumped on board because it was a valid moral revolution? It's not that simple at all.

There's some historical ignorance at play here. The German citizenry was not aware that Jews were being slaughtered in concentration camps. It wasn't until after the war that the true horrors of what was taking place came to light.

People rallied behind Hitler because he was 'Making Germany Great Again', not because 'Fuck The Jews'. In fact, many Germans were uncomfortable with the Nazi party's stance on Jews, so much so that Hitler and Goebbels substancially toned down that sort of rhetoric as the war progressed. The 'Fuck The Jews' thing was more of a personal project for Hitler (and some others of his inner circle).

If America was at war with Mexico and it came out that Hispanic Americans were being slaughtered in concentration camps, everybody would be suitably shocked and appalled. No reasonable people would agree with that shit.
Would you like me to ask Tonakai if I can share the screenshot of the discussion between him and I on this, where he changed his mind and agreed with me on the issue? He sure is level-headed, as you said.

Sure. I'm somehow not surpised that you got him to tell you he changed his mind. I hope you didn't do it using that same 'logical' argument you used in that thread, because that was shithouse.
Last edited by Ele; Feb 11, 2020 at 09:19 AM.