Toribash
Original Post
Will the development of superintelligent AI destroy us?
Technological development is constantly making huge leaps, and as we discover and develop new tools these leaps are becoming longer and more frequent.

Techonology seems to improve exponentially, and humanity is (supposedly) on the verge to developing a superintelligent, general AI.
A machine mind that's not only concious and self-aware, but capable of altering its source code and improving its own intelligence at rates prehaps beyond human comprehension.

In this short TED-talk neuroscientist and moral philosopher Sam Harris does an excellent job of presenting the topic of AI in a comprehensive and concise way:

I find it hard to belive this is anything but a doomsday scenario, unless we somehow manage to merge and become one with the machine. Yet the potential is there for AI to be the greatest thing that ever happened to mankind

What do you think?
How far away is a general AI? Will we be able to control it? Will it destory us? Will we destroy ourselves over it? Will it slingshot us into a new age of prosperity?
Is it really worth the risk? Maybe it is... We pretty much fucked the earth so far already maybe its our only hope? I hope AI are friendly
Originally Posted by JoboMan View Post
Is it really worth the risk? Maybe it is... We pretty much fucked the earth so far already maybe its our only hope? I hope AI are friendly

If it's worth the risk or not is not even a factor. If we KNEW developing this technology would doom humanity a company or country(or in the future, any amateur with some knowhow in programming) could still go through with it since the economical incentive is so incredibly immense. Perhaps this is a reasonable explanation for the fermi paradox

For now we are the creators, so if it's friendly or not will depend entirely on how we program and interact with it. Hopefully it can be done safely within a globally regulated framework but right now that's just not happening

Also that JRE podcast with Elon is so damn good lmao. Recommend everyone to watch the entire thing
Since humanity is filled with suicidal thoughts, hate, jealous, other downness
you should not believe that creating a super intelligent AI which works fully automatic,
would harm us in any case because our scientist are perfect as hell
Enjoint life
People shouldn't be afraid of machines
People should be afraid of other people. I think we already stepped into a new era. AI, VR, genetic engineering etc., I am afraid of HOW people can use these resources in the future, I am fully aware of the mentality of the humanity. It's nice to see so many people who care about our ecosystem but we're far from what we call a conscious society and still close to a global ecological disasters.
I don't think that the AI itself is a danger but the people, who're using it - might be. As anything new it has no proper regulation yet in most of the countries such as USA, Russia, China etc. Uncontrollable development of such thing can lead to the undpredictable áonsequences.
So my opinion same as always: it doesn't matter WHAT people use, the only thing that matter is WHO's gonna use it. Humanity is a disaster.
GLORY FOR UKRAINE
Originally Posted by Hug View Post
People should be afraid of other people. I think we already stepped into a new era. AI, VR, genetic engineering etc., I am afraid of HOW people can use these resources in the future, I am fully aware of the mentality of the humanity. It's nice to see so many people who care about our ecosystem but we're far from what we call a conscious society and still close to a global ecological disasters.
I don't think that the AI itself is a danger but the people, who're using it - might be. As anything new it has no proper regulation yet in most of the countries such as USA, Russia, China etc. Uncontrollable development of such thing can lead to the undpredictable áonsequences.
So my opinion same as always: it doesn't matter WHAT people use, the only thing that matter is WHO's gonna use it. Humanity is a disaster.

Thats the thing, everybody has personal problems to be solved.
If you want perfect results from great things, you need to balance the fundamental things first.
If you want to create something that could have much impact on the whole world, then its clever to think about the right time.
Timing is something really underrated these days #FAST LIFE

what most people forget: it's a marathon, not a sprint
Last edited by Smaiva; Aug 21, 2019 at 01:05 PM.
Enjoint life
Originally Posted by Hug View Post

I totally agree with the sentiment of fearing the creators rather than the creation. Indeed the political consequenses will be the first, and a very serious issue as soon as a major breakthrough is announced. Sam Harris talks about this in the video and on many of his podcasts. To be the first with an intelligent AI even by a few months or weeks could result in being thousands of years ahead of the competition in regards to tech and intel. If rumors arose that the US or China were on the verge of AI it would make sense for nations like Russia or NK to just nuke them into pieces as a precaution.

Perhaps we will destory ourselves before the AI destroys us, but I don't agree with your point regarding "people shouldn't be afraid of machines". Provided we do solve the huge issue of potentially tearing ourselves apart we will then share the world with intellectual minds so massive we might not even be able fathom them.
It boils down to the fact that we simply don't know right now. Something as powerful as AI is totally unprecedented in the entirety of human history.

I for one am totally willing to serve our new machine lords, just to get that on record :-)
i don't think there should robots amongst us, not saying it can't be done or it shouldn't it's just not ready for this world yet, i don't think there's people out there with good reasons to make them, the most common thing people want them for is either war or some sort of sex machine, i don't think the fact machines replace jobs for humans is a great idea either, we rely to much on our technology but i think further down the line it's not a bad idea, we just need the right people, right time and to have the right meaning for them.
It'll definitaly be a danger for us. There will always be people with bad behaviours.

In general it isn't good to be afraid of anything since fear takes away your clear way of thinking.

The only thing i can say is, that i'll be afraid if it should come to head ups!

Water Melon, Fire Melon, Earth Melon, Air Melon... The ELEMELONS!