Ranking
Original Post
Regarding deleted messages
Being a moderator, people contact me from time to time wondering why their post was deleted. This happens relatively unfrequently, but I think it affects everyone more or less. See, getting your message deleted feels like a slap in the face for most users, and that's not the way it should be.
When you're a moderator, you get to see all of the deleted posts, because they're never really deleted and can be restored. Along with this you get to see the reason for deletion. Problem is, as a regular user can't see the post, they also can't see the reason. (This is also why people like me never give reasons)

My suggestion is simple: let the users see their own deleted posts. This will make them learn from their mistakes (giving moderators a reason to give a reason), stop treating moderators as hostile, and know who to contact if they have questions.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
Originally Posted by Lazors View Post
I don't think you understand the number of posts that doesn't hold the standard in this board. A lot of new people come to this board first because of how rare it is to have a forum like this, where people can feel like they're part of the development.
The other thing is that people don't read rules, and the general respect for this board is pretty low.
All this leads up to a lot of sub-par posts that don't do any good for the discussion.
My reasoning for deleting those posts is mainly to let people who are interested in making quality posts not have to scroll past 10 pages of junk.

Sending a private message everytime I delete a post is simply too much to ask of a single (active) moderator. I have a life beyond this forum.

I do pm users if they do any serious/repeated offense.

If there's a lot of posts that need cleaning up, then consider posting in the thread instead of PMing everyone. If you feel that that's also not reasonable for some reason (such as the additional notice cluttering up the thread without contributing), feel free to use your own judgement on the issue. However, as the deletion notices are meant as an administrative aid, I'd prefer that the post deletion reason is at least filled out at present.

Originally Posted by Smogard49 View Post
I recall some other vbulletin forums having a middle-ground option for deleted posts; normal users could see that a post had been deleted, and the comment why, but they could not view the post. How come that path has not been chosen for the TB community?

I just looked into that option, but there's no good way at the moment to limit it to just posts the user themselves have made, which would be ideal. Having all of the deleted post notices visible would make deleting posts much less efficient at removing clutter.

I'll bring it up for discussion though.
Last edited by suomynona; Sep 1, 2015 at 06:12 AM. Reason: In hindsight, snip.
Squad Squad Squad lead?
The standardization of Toribash Squad roles may have gone too far!