Ranking
Going to comment on kicking since thats my special area.

First of all, I personally believe in default toris for competitive play. Every comp mod should have the same tori in my opinion. From a mod making standpoint custom toris are more interesting. But for a player, having one tori to learn absolutely perfectly is the way to go. Learning each mods meta, playstyle and adjusting that to gravity is already a task. Learning a different tori for each mod on top of that doesnt feel right.

Ill go over all the points briefly, and compare them to the current best competitive kicking mod, erthtkv2.

"- I've focused heavily on compensating for high-traffic areas on the tori. Two areas in particular are the legs and the wrists(arms). "

I think wrist dms are not as big of a problem as they are made out to be BUT increasing wrist dm threshold is a welcome change. with the 120 dm of erthtk and the 100 of TK wrists are pretty glassy. Just make it sure you cant punch into a kick with an extended wrist and that should be fine.

"* I've decreased (by a lot) the amount of points that a strike to the leg gives you/your opponent. I've done this to ensure that the majority of the points you/your opponent receive are due to substantial, conscious strikes, and that if you use your legs to strike you are never in danger of somehow giving your opponent more points than you get when you kick them. "

I disagree with this. If you have played erthtk as a duel mod or on a "high level" you'll know that shoveling is actually pretty god damn strong. And there are only a few ways to counter a 100% defence openers, one of them being shin/ankle kicks. Removing power from ankle kicks would increase the already strong "ultradefensive" play.

* I've messed with the joint-specific dismemberment thresholds on the arms and legs. Currently they stand at ankle(210) > wrist(190)> hip(165) > shoulder(152)> knee(155) > elbow (147)> rest of the tori(140)

I feel these are a bit high. For example 210 is almost the double of the standard erthtk dm, but cant say without any testing.

" I've set the dm threshold on the knees/elbows a bit lower than the hips/shoulders in order to keep one from losing an entire limb at the root when they get kicked really hard in the shin)"

I don't think this is really a problem with the current kicking mod

"
- Legs are now much more versatile and suited to striking than arms are
* Legs are very slightly longer than default to give a bit of extra reach and offensive power
* The point distribution has been altered so that legs give less points than arms, making arms riskier to attack with
* Joint strengths and velocities have been slightly raised/lower on the legs/arms respectively
* Densities have been altered so that legs and arms are slightly lighter, but legs are more suited to building momentum with"

As said earlier I dont think a competitive mod should have a mod tori.

"* Major points overhaul, consists of lower points on high traffic areas and simple gradients from the torso up"

Nothing wrong with this as long as you can still shinkick, and going for the head is always the goal.

"* Introduction of a(n experimental) cage to contain the match and force encounters over the entirety of the match."

I personally dont like idea of a cage since you can use it to create alot of force when otherwise it shouldn't be possible. When you have a surface other than the floor to push from, you dont have to worry about your balance as much. But I'm not going to say that a cage is an absolutely a bad idea, just a personal prefrence.

"* No dq"

Perfectly fine, one the problems with TK/kickboxing is that everything dq's while the dm threshold is so low. I wouldn't mind a dq mechanic but not having one is fine as well.

* Medium-low gravity (-15.68 )

-15.68 seems like an oddly specific number but 15 is a good gravity for kicking for sure

"* Slightly longer turnframes (13)"
I completely disagree with this, for the same reason as I disagree with the tori mods. Competitive mods should have consistency! No other mod has a weird number like 13 in it, and I believe you would add it just to make your mod "special", not because it would benefit the gameplay. Learning a new 13 frame jump that is slightly different from the standard 10, just feels pointless.

As a conclusion. Random dms arent too much of a problem that you need to raise the DM to be like 180 or anything that high. I honestly think all around 140 is enough, but thats just me. Strict no from me for the mod tori. Other than that, all the points seem quite functional.
And one thing to remember is that the more speed you add, the less control you give.
Last edited by panttersin; Mar 4, 2016 at 07:10 AM.