Ranking
Original Post
Animated Textures
After Joint Texture, .gif textures (animated)
would look pretty good.
Animated Head Texture 128x128, 256x256, 512x512
etc..
OSHI - AM - TRG
RAKU
I don't know it seems like an idea that would be good, but as pretty much everyone has said, even my monster alienware rig, probably couldn't handle it, sorry but not supported.
"Orgasmis Maximus *Thud* *Crack* *Boom* I'm Done"
~DemonBurn~
I'd support this if is was just for head textures.
Limited to 2 frames that interchange every 5 or 10 Toribash frames.
It'd have to be a tradeable item.
To upload the "animation," you'd just upload two images, like the ones you upload
into the regular head texture item, but you'd have to upload two. One for each frame(2).

This would look good if you wanted to animate blinking eyes, a wink, an opening and closing mouth, or simple two frame animations for your head.
With an option to turn it on or off I see no inherently bad thing with implementing it; just cause YOUR computer can't handle it, it doesn't mean others can't. Really the same argument goes with some complex flames that cause most setups to slow down, /opt gif 0 instead of /opt particles 0 and done.

When it comes to epileptic seizures the same could be argued with an color altering flame going spastic, or multiple coloured flames. So running that as an argument would be the same as arguing against flames as they could case (e) seizures...

Since (most) gifs are 8 bit, and the file seize could be limited I see no problem with animated textures, eg a blinking eye on a 512x512 head texture or similar. Yes it would require a TINY bit of extra performance if you have it running, but so does particles, hairs and shaders.
Now doing recoloring for people not in the clan as-well, PM for more info!
PROUD OWNER OF THORN'S GOOD ENOUGH WRITER AWARD!
When something like this gets implimented the first thing people complain about is "Peoples (meaning theirs) computers cant handle this, not supported" but really they are just hating it because they cant handle it. If toribash can have animated flames with no lag, why not animated textures? Just like flames can be turned on and off with "/opt particles 0" animated textures could be turned off with "/opt anitex 0"
blue
pink
are you kidding me?.. not being able to handle gifs?

tga - 24 bit
gif - 8 bit

are you fucking kidding me?
Last edited by snake; Dec 8, 2013 at 12:11 AM.
After stumbling upon some files today I withdraw my statement on 8bit colours limiting the colours of a gif. This due to the possibility to store multiple blocks of 8bits within one gif, something even mentioned on the .gif wikipedia under true color.

So leaving that argument rendered invalid, or false, have it the same arguments that poor computers shouldn't be a limiting factor to the visual quality of the game, as once with flames.
Now doing recoloring for people not in the clan as-well, PM for more info!
PROUD OWNER OF THORN'S GOOD ENOUGH WRITER AWARD!
I have seen this type of suggestion at least 50,000 times. I would love this in toribash, but it may not be implemented due to-well I can't really think of anything...? There isn't really that much that could go wrong with such an idea, but I don't really feel the whole 128/256/512 idea, I feel it should all be one size because having a full animated texture set, also being in 512x512 size... could be bad.
[SIGPIC]hh[/SIGPIC]
Pyro | MF | GerU | Electric | Revel | Essence
Originally Posted by snake View Post
are you kidding me?.. not being able to handle gifs?

tga - 24 bit
gif - 8 bit

are you fucking kidding me?

Yes, but tga files aren't animated.
[SIGPIC]hh[/SIGPIC]
Pyro | MF | GerU | Electric | Revel | Essence
apng would be a better candidate than fucking around with weird true colour gif crap. Pretty sure that was covered in a thread like this aaaaaages ago.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
.gif Head textures?
I hope im not the only one who has thought about them. Pretty self explanatory, animated heads.

If your only argument is "well what about those guys with the wooden pc's zebra?" get out. Thats a dumb argument. Simply make an option to only show the first frame of the .gif head in the options menu.