Toribash
Original Post
Ranks Exclusive to Matchmaking
Hello, I've recently began thinking about ways in which we could promote the use of the matchmaking option and ways that matchmaking could be different so that new players are not always pitched against older, more experienced players.

The solution I thought for both of these problems was ranks exclusive to matchmaking separate to other ranked games.

Over view:
Players play a certain amount of matches to get placed in there cleverly named rank to play against people that are around their skill level. This way, new players are facing new players and old players are facing people near their skills. Also, new players won't have to face really experienced players and lose interest in the game because they keep losing and they can't do anything about it.

Proposal for the ranks: If you look at the rankings tab when you click shop, located here, you can see titles that players have as their ranks go up. Instead of these only being used here, we can use those names as the names for the Matchmaking ranks (Beginner Brawler -> Wild Trooper). These ranks could also be placed under the belt of the player ingame, all though I know how difficult it is to be able to get dranix or hampa to impliment new things into the game, but it could be apart of a future update.

The ranks could use the same elo system we have already, but more intentionally pair the individuals together into a match. I've always found that if I have a fancy rank name attached to myself, and see a clear goal (like reaching the highest rank group of Wild Warrior or something), then I would want to play the game more and be more involved to get better at the game and improve my rank. The thing I find is difficult for new people in this game is that they have no real clear goal. Sure there are belts, but after a while, you really don't care for them, especially with all the alts around that really interrupt game-play.

Please be aware I don't have this idea fully fleshed out, as I wanted to get this posted before I forgot completely.

(im)

I believe the plan was to see how well the matchmaling system worked them if it worked well male it the only way to get rank.

The reason it didnt work was a mixture of its coding and the size of the community. i.e. it doesnt seem to match by rank. At one point I was ranked 1st, the reason was I went on matchmaking and kept getting matched with the same person, the person was about rank 1000. And I keot getting matched to him despite the rank 2 and rank 8 being on matchmaking at the time.

The focus of the coding is on getting the shortest wait to a game possible, not on getting the fairest match, due to the size of the community the wait times might be too long any other way.
Don't dm me pictures of bowls that you find attractive.