Toribash
Original Post
Toribash Needs To Change
I am one of the few people left in toribash because of love for the game and forums, rather than the love of credits. I have neard stories of the good old days where people played for fun, had no desperation for toricredits.
Also, we need more organised servers, with public servers like rk-mma, aikidobogdjo and other popular mods. This would bring the fun back to the game, and also a good idea would be for clans to buy a server which is premaritally there, named with the clan name and only members of that clan could join.
Last edited by Lazors; May 3, 2013 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Edited out the go back to paying part
What incentive is there for newer players to play the game, then, if there is no TC involved to keep them coming back to play the game? They'll lose interest and quit.

No items to buy means no TC really needed, all the artists will hog the stuff to themselves because they have no incentive to sell art (in the form of sets, avatars, videos, etc) to others.

Eventually, the game will get boring and it'll be extremely repetitive. I think the system that is in place now is quite good. Now those who want to get new textures and stuff to wear get TC by playing more, and those who have enough probably know how to play the game and would rather have fun and stuff instead of joining tourneys, etc. They'll go ahead and make rooms for themselves.

I see what you're trying to do, but don't you think it'll hurt the game massively in the long run? People will get bored of the game because they won't stay here long enough. Please see that TC farming is actually training the next generation of Toribash players, getting them to stay and see why the game is fun for what it is.

If you look carefully, Toribash is centered around TC for a reason. The introduction of editing your Tori free of charge isn't a very good idea.

Just my thoughts on this matter.
I do some videos
Feel free to PM me for any video-related questions
As said in another thread.
Originally Posted by Lazors
Maybe if there was other types of rewards, like for example a front page link to the best replays/art/mvp of the week/month.

The problem here is that Tc is the only reward Tb gives you. There is items, of course, but GMTourneys doesn't really give you anything good, and item duels are unsupported and there's a high risk of scamming.

What i'm saying is that there could be a third reward. A little spot in the front page with the best replays (categorized, one for aikido, wushu, spar, sp etc), and the best art of the week. Maybe the winner of the most GMTourneys of the week. That would give some sense of reward to playing for the replay. And give people a reason to look for other values than tc. That is the theory, anyways.

Also, people need to take their eyes off the "buy the game" part, as that is only one of the many solutions.

This would fit nicely in Suggestions, but i don't have the power to move threads to Suggestions, only from Suggestions.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
That would actually be a good idea, Lazors, but I'm betting if that was implemented, lots of people(especially those winners like the front pagers and "of the week/month" players) will be asking for TC as a reward. Recognition might not be enough for them, and once again, the game will center around TC.
a spoon.
Just because you like the game because it's fun doesn't mean everyone thinks the same way.

Think about it this way, if there wasn't TC or Qi, no new members would stay very long.

New members quitting fast = No advanced players = Only new players

Would you like to have to fight only with new players? What would be the fun of that? They'd be scared away because they don't know how to play that well, either, so that means even less new players, and I don't think Toribash would be able to survive as the game it is if only the select few people stayed in the game.

What i'm saying is that there could be a third reward

Do you think everyone craves fame that much? The way I see it, two or three people will be constantly getting the top spot and everyone else won't be payed much heed.
I do some videos
Nice idea, but we need good public servers implemented, and maybe a monthly tourney to see who the best 10 players in a mod are or something.
Originally Posted by DatSkip
The way I see it, two or three people will be constantly getting the top spot and everyone else won't be payed much heed.

That would be a shame, indeed. I can see a similar trend in the Book of Records.

The game needs a sense of accomplishment, though, because that's just the way a game works. You get awarded with adrenaline when you feel like you accomplished something, that's just how our body works. That's also why gaming is addictive.
Now that went horribly off-topic, but my point is that there has to be some kind of reward in the game, and if we want to take the eyes off TC, there has to be some other kind of reward.

Something that could solve the problem is if voting was implemented. Regular users would vote on the replays. There is already a voting system in the replays section, but nobody looks there. Or at least, i don't.
So, if there was a little section in the replays board, where anyone can upload their replays, in a specified category, and other users could vote on them, that could solve the problem.
In theory, users would rather vote on someone new than someone who always hogs the top spot.

There is of course farming issues, and similar abuse, but let's focus on brainstorming first, and farming later, ok?

Finally, to address the TC reward problem, i don't think that would be that much of a problem. As long as we clearly state that there is no reward except the honor of getting a "front paged replay", i don't think anyone would ask for additional rewards.

Sorry, English is not my native, if anything's hard to understand, please tell me so.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
and maybe a monthly tourney to see who the best 10 players in a mod are or something

Do you not think people would ask for a reward other than recognition? Say... TC?

In theory, users would rather vote on someone new than someone who always hogs the top spot.

This is not true. Someone who hogs the top spot would probably get more attention and thus get more votes, so the system is slightly skewed. Also, there are, say, ten thousand people still playing, what would be the chances that a new player would be able to get some recognition and manage to get there within the time it takes for him to get bored of the game and leave?

Sorry, English is not my native, if anything's hard to understand, please tell me so.

I understand you perfectly fine.
I do some videos
@Swawes
Care to explain your idea further?
It's really easy to say do this and do that, but it's harder to actually get it working.

No one uses the official servers from blackbelt and up. How would we best draw players to the servers without a TC carrot?
The only option so far has been TC. A 10TC reward has clearly not been enough to draw players to the servers.

Why would your "tourney idea" be any different from regular GMTourneys?
And why would players use them instead of the usual tourneys?
The problem here is that TC rewards wrecks the economy, and the prizes sent from Msack isn't worth enough for most players.
The real question is "How do we create an enjoyable server without giving out huge TC prizes?"
Originally Posted by Lazors View Post
@Swawes
Care to explain your idea further?
It's really easy to say do this and do that, but it's harder to actually get it working.

No one uses the official servers from blackbelt and up. How would we best draw players to the servers without a TC carrot?
The only option so far has been TC. A 10TC reward has clearly not been enough to draw players to the servers.

Why would your "tourney idea" be any different from regular GMTourneys?
And why would players use them instead of the usual tourneys?
The problem here is that TC rewards wrecks the economy, and the prizes sent from Msack isn't worth enough for most players.
The real question is "How do we create an enjoyable server without giving out huge TC prizes?"

Maybe make private clan servers would be a good idea, you should pay 20k for a permant clan server which only your clan can use, and maybe have an oublic server with no belt limits with mods, ABD rk-mma lenshu and ect.