ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Toribash Needs To Change
I am one of the few people left in toribash because of love for the game and forums, rather than the love of credits. I have neard stories of the good old days where people played for fun, had no desperation for toricredits.
Also, we need more organised servers, with public servers like rk-mma, aikidobogdjo and other popular mods. This would bring the fun back to the game, and also a good idea would be for clans to buy a server which is premaritally there, named with the clan name and only members of that clan could join.
Last edited by Lazors; May 3, 2013 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Edited out the go back to paying part
Originally Posted by dannyrug View Post
You don't have to buy the items that are in the market, it is all up to you on how much you spend and don't want to spend

oh i agree i just meant when an item is sold out in the shop it sucks to have to pay so much if you DO want to get the item
trying to help a game ive fallen in love with but its not like some thing important to fix as i said inflation is neccesary to profit and yes i realize im new so my opinion dont count for as much but....nothing ventured,nothing gained XD
Last edited by miroku3000; May 2, 2013 at 05:38 AM.
just a newb youtuber trying to get some good game vids out there at ----http://www.youtube.com/user/WTHgamevids
i think without all the features like buying and selling items and art, toribash wouldnt be toribash.
i understand the reason why hampa did qi restrictions and stuff because it makes me wanna get better and stuff...
0118 999 881 999 119 725 3
Originally Posted by Swaves View Post
Nice idea, but we need good public servers implemented, and maybe a monthly tourney to see who the best 10 players in a mod are or something.

Please define: "Good public servers" and we might actually provide something that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike those.

The problem with "a monthly tourney" is the fact that someone has to organize it, and that's pretty big load of work. There is a reason why such events are run annually, and are limited to X ammount of people.

Originally Posted by Lazors View Post
What i'm saying is that there could be a third reward. A little spot in the front page with the best replays (categorized, one for aikido, wushu, spar, sp etc), and the best art of the week. Maybe the winner of the most GMTourneys of the week. That would give some sense of reward to playing for the replay. And give people a reason to look for other values than tc. That is the theory, anyways.

Who should judge what is the best replay of the week? You? Me? Someone else? General populace? I'm pretty sure that most of *us* would vote last option, hence why we have the "Replays" tab. Problem with it being that no one uses it...

The problem here is that TC rewards wrecks the economy, and the prizes sent from Msack isn't worth enough for most players.

Even tho I agree with the most of your post, I gotta comment this line:
Most people seem to join tourney servers for fun and not so much for prizes.
I haven't done any gallups (maybe I should...) nor really taken notes, but...

Also, I don't even remember when someone has complained about my prizes being bad, really.

The real question is "How do we create an enjoyable server without giving out huge TC prizes? .

Weirdly enough, I think that we've managed to do this, at least with *most* GMTourneys/events/servers. :P

In my somewhat biased opinion (i never have any TCs, and don't care enough to get them), playing for TC is like paying for crops on Farmville. If your objective is to grow crops, and the game can do it for you, it does give you a sense of completeness, but a very cheap, and a not so lasting one. Playing for TC is about the same, you can trash a joint and throw it out of the ring, but what does that really mean in the sense of accomplishment?
I don't want to be that scrub saying GAY SHUVEL every time he loses to a dm, but if you're so happy about winning a duel that you don't care about the game, you might as well buy the damn TC.

Replace TC with "win". What do you see?

Yes. Some people play to win. The toricredits they gain is just to show that they've won, much. They try to win by any means, may that be by "trashing a joint and throwing it out of the ring" or by turttling/tripoding/playing it safe etc, for you and me that might be "lame" but...

Summa summarum, problem is that people are different and play for different things.

And there's nothing we can really do about that.

P.S I don't mean that your ideas or suggestion are bad, or impossible to achieve. I'm just pointing out things that I feel should be considered.

P.S.S I probably lost my train of thought few times there and ended up rambling, if you have any questions/corrections/points to discuss feel free to do so. I won't bite too hard. :P
Last edited by suomynona; May 3, 2013 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Quote fixing.
Originally Posted by Dargon
Who should judge what is the best replay of the week? You? Me? Someone else? General populace? I'm pretty sure that most of *us* would vote last option, hence why we have the "Replays" tab. Problem with it being that no one uses it...

Originally Posted by Lazors
Something that could solve the problem is if voting was implemented. Regular users would vote on the replays. There is already a voting system in the replays section, but nobody looks there. Or at least, i don't.
So, if there was a little section in the replays board, where anyone can upload their replays, in a specified category, and other users could vote on them, that could solve the problem.
In theory, users would rather vote on someone new than someone who always hogs the top spot.

I answered this later in the thread, but this is only one of the options, there could be a team of different *experts* in each mod, which changes every month or so, who would decide which replays are the best. This would require very much effort, going through all of those replays. So an user voting system would probably be for the best. The most popular replays would raise to the top, and the worse replays would sink to the bottom.
Well, in theory at least.

Also, I don't even remember when someone has complained about my prizes being bad, really.

Well, maybe it's just me, but i see more people being dissatisfied with the prizes than satisfied. But then, again, the ones who are satisfied aren't as visible.

Yes. Some people play to win. The toricredits they gain is just to show that they've won, much. They try to win by any means, may that be by "trashing a joint and throwing it out of the ring" or by turttling/tripoding/playing it safe etc, for you and me that might be "lame" but...

I'm not looking to remove the whole play to win thought, i'm just providing alternate values for those who doesn't really care for TC or winning the game. I think one of the reasons people quit the game is because they're tired of playing for TC, and it's more rewarding to market than to duel/bet. Or that's what i heard.
If we provide rewards that aren't achievable just with TC, we can probably get more people to stay.
Again, just theory, there's no guarantee this will work.

Also, let's get off the "pay to play" argument, I'm pretty sure no one here wants Toribash to cost money, and that was just one solution for the problem at hand.
Last edited by Lazors; May 2, 2013 at 09:25 PM.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
I answered this later in the thread, but this is only one of the options, there could be a team of different *experts* in each mod, which changes every month or so, who would decide which replays are the best. This would require very much effort, going through all of those replays. So an user voting system would probably be for the best. The most popular replays would raise to the top, and the worse replays would sink to the bottom.
Well, in theory at least.

Exactly. It would require huge ammounts of work, and we still couldn't be sure that it'd would succeed.

Even if it would be automated, it might be too big of a hurdle for most people, р la Replay tab.

Replay tab only requires you to upload a replay, and then people have to vote it. And as you pointed out, people still don't use it...

I'm not looking to remove the whole play to win thought, i'm just providing alternate values for those who doesn't really care for TC or winning the game. I think one of the reasons people quit the game is because they're tired of playing for TC, and it's more rewarding to market than to duel/bet. Or that's what i heard.
If we provide rewards that aren't achievable just with TC, we can probably get more people to stay.
Again, just theory, there's no guarantee this will work.

Probem is providing that something. Yeah, there are honors such as getting to stock replays and book of records, but other than that...

I'm fairly proud of "my way" (yes, guys I'm actually implying that I actually did something! :P).

We (people I bullied to do the dirty work) created "modcentric" organisations, which promote fair play, replays and "other values". They seem to have worked fairly well, even tho the taekkyon booms seems to have died down ..

I also have the "bro-off" (tentative title!) thing going on...

Also, let's get off the "pay to play" argument, I'm pretty sure no one here wants Toribash to cost money, and that was just one solution for the problem at hand.

There is no pay to play "argument". It just wouldn't work. End of discussion.
I think more people want to strive to be better at Toribash rather than play a crud ton of game. That playing the game, not only "fairly" (aka, without cheesey openers and running), but while actively getting better at it is fun. And playing better people is challenging and fun.

So if we want to change things, why not reward people for becoming better? I'll tell you why: because it would be far too much work.

In a perfect world you could have a bunch of amazing wushu players, a bunch of amazing aikido players, a bunch of TK players that are great as a panel. Maybe they could reward you with high, non-qi restricted items for performing adequately well. But now you're giving far too much power to far too many people, possibly killing the economy, and sucking the only income really left for Nabi studios.

The only way you don't run into this problem, is having a panel to prove your worth to, that you trust has an eye for talent, awarding something new. Something non-tradeable. The key is that it's a personal achievement, that you see in-game. That use to be what Icon Textures were back when only people who won the ToriOlympics or PromoTeam had, but they introduced them into the market and it became about money again.

So make something worth having. Make it un-tradeable. And most importantly: earn it with in-game skill. That's what y'all should probably be brainstorming. *cough* Streak Textures *cough*
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
Originally Posted by Hxcbbqimo
Maybe they could reward you with high, non-qi restricted items for performing adequately well. But now you're giving far too much power to far too many people, possibly killing the economy, and sucking the only income really left for Nabi studios.

Sure, giving out super-expensive-non-qi items for good players would ruin economy, i can't argue with that.
So how do we reward skill without ruining the economy?
I say items without any TC/QI value. Then it wouldn't ruin the economy, or any of the bad things stated. As long as the item is visible in-game, and it isn't tradable, it could work out very well.
I want to point out this as one of the possible solutions.

Exactly. It would require huge ammounts of work, and we still couldn't be sure that it'd would succeed.

Even if it would be automated, it might be too big of a hurdle for most people, р la Replay tab.

Replay tab only requires you to upload a replay, and then people have to vote it. And as you pointed out, people still don't use it...

It would require huge amounts of work only if we had staff to judge the replays. The better alternative to that is to have an user voting system going on, just like the one in Replays.
There are reasons to why people doesn't vote on the Replays tab, but do in the Replays sub forum.

First of all, it's simply more visible than the little black box in top of the window, it's easier to see when circulating the forums.
Second, it has no real purpose. Voting on a users replay doesn't give you anything, and doesn't give the replay maker anything really important. In the replays tab you can comment CnC, and that has so much purpose.
Lastly, it's not organized enough. There isn't any "sort after score" system, and it's simply too messy. There is search functions, but i think most people would rather sort after artist, and would therefore go to the sub forum instead of the black box. (Yes, i'm just gonna call it a black box, deal with it).

I think all this could be fixed just by creating a thread for voting in the replays section.
It would be easier to see, would fulfill a greater purpose, and have less replays than the black box, and therefore be easier to navigate.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
Originally Posted by Hxcbbqimo View Post
So make something worth having. Make it un-tradeable. And most importantly: earn it with in-game skill. That's what y'all should probably be brainstorming. *cough* Streak Textures *cough*

This.

Untradeable rewards should be given out to players for achieving certain in-game feats. Imo, rewards should be handed out every time a player levels up but of course there will be complaints about farming. However if the reward is untradeable, would farming be that much of an issue?
"Fear not the Tori who has practiced 10,000 openers once, but fear the Tori who has practiced one opener 10,000 times."