Ranking
With load times like that, I can say for sure that an SSD won't fix the problem. Those load times are just too large to be from HDD overheads - boot time for HDD is usually under a minute (maybe 45s average) compared to SSD which could be 20s and lower. Typically an SSD will only perform 5-10x faster than a HDD, so even in best case scenario you will be down to 1 or 2 minutes, which is clearly still far far too long.

You should look into boot time optimization because again, throwing money at the problem gives you no guarantees unless you have properly diagnosed the problem!
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Kyure are you sure it's very accurate to state that an M.2 SSD is not worth it over a 2.5" SSD in any situation or circumstance ever? Not trying to start an argument or anything just wondering.
| Leader of FC | Loans | ABD Enthusiast |
No, but in his situation he does not need it. So obviously he should go with the BX100.
Alright then We are in agreement as far as that goes in my opinion. The reason I'm getting M.2 for my build is quicker boot times and ofc who doesn't love extra space By space I mean both physical space and virtual space
| Leader of FC | Loans | ABD Enthusiast |
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
With load times like that, I can say for sure that an SSD won't fix the problem. Those load times are just too large to be from HDD overheads - boot time for HDD is usually under a minute (maybe 45s average) compared to SSD which could be 20s and lower. Typically an SSD will only perform 5-10x faster than a HDD, so even in best case scenario you will be down to 1 or 2 minutes, which is clearly still far far too long.

You should look into boot time optimization because again, throwing money at the problem gives you no guarantees unless you have properly diagnosed the problem!

Boot times are estimations(and more than likely exaggerations), I'll test my actual boot to login screen time and my boot to webpage time.

EDIT: Times were:

1:05.8 for login screen
3:13.5 for loading TB forums
Last edited by NotShadow; Jan 23, 2016 at 12:33 PM.
I archieve a Windows boot time of 28s and about 40s for everything in the autostart to be loaded from a 35€/$ SSD. cleaning up your bootconfig really helps, just go into MSConfig (Windows key -> write msconfig -> hit enter) and check for services that you really want to start when you boot your computer and throw everything else out (on the bottom you can hide all Microsoft services so don't worry about disabling one of these by accident).

The only things starting for me are
  • all of the Intel stuff
  • Realtek audio drivers
  • Malwarebytes
  • Steam
  • Rainmeter
  • Puush
  • TS3 with autoconnection to my server

I usually press the start button, go to the kitchen, grab a snack and then everything is done. Couldn't be happier about this 35€/$ investment.
Got any problems or questions about computers or any other tech?Feel free to PM me any time. Lmod for Computer/Mobile Chat
Originally Posted by NotShadow View Post
EDIT: Times were:

1:05.8 for login screen
3:13.5 for loading TB forums

Well I think you have some other problems, but just so you know best case you are paying $80 (or whatever) for maybe 30-40 seconds faster boot time.

Personally I don't think the cost/benefit is really worth it (especially when generally you will be hibernating anyway so cold boot is rare). If that is super important to you then OK, just wanted you to have realistic expectations.
Originally Posted by Mongius View Post
I archieve a Windows boot time of 28s and about 40s for everything in the autostart to be loaded from a 35€/$ SSD. cleaning up your bootconfig really helps, just go into MSConfig (Windows key -> write msconfig -> hit enter) and check for services that you really want to start when you boot your computer and throw everything else out (on the bottom you can hide all Microsoft services so don't worry about disabling one of these by accident).

The only things starting for me are
  • all of the Intel stuff
  • Realtek audio drivers
  • Malwarebytes
  • Steam
  • Rainmeter
  • Puush
  • TS3 with autoconnection to my server

I usually press the start button, go to the kitchen, grab a snack and then everything is done. Couldn't be happier about this 35€/$ investment.

Stuff I have running at startup

Everyone always talks about the increased boot times and faster loading times for a lot of stuff, and that's the kind of stuff I want to take advantage of with an SSD. It doesn't have to be expensive, and I would prefer it isn't to be honest, but I just want something that will hold GTA, CSGO, my OS, and maybe a few more things down the road.
Do you really need that NVIDIA and Logitech stuff to run at startup? I can tell you for certain that you don't need the Java updater to run on startup. I'd probably drop avast too tbh, if you insist on 3rd party AV then Avira, AVG, or panda are probably better choices.

9684 seconds is absurd.
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
Do you really need that NVIDIA and Logitech stuff to run at startup? I can tell you for certain that you don't need the Java updater to run on startup. I'd probably drop avast too tbh, if you insist on 3rd party AV then Avira, AVG, or panda are probably better choices.

9684 seconds is absurd.

No way that it took me 2 1/2 hours to boot up. It took maybe 10-30 seconds to get to the BIOS screen and 3-5 minutes to load all my processes. I didn't know what all that NVIDIA or Logitech stuff did so I just chose not to mess with their startup things. I have a paid family license for Avast, so no real sense in getting rid of it until my license is gone (Even though it's a hell of a resource hog, and it keeps deleting Dev C++). I'll get rid of the Java stuff and the NVIDIA backend stuff in startup.