ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Meta Movelist for Competitive Mods
The reasons why I suggest having a page for openers are:
* To keep players updated on what moves are meta

* To make noobs aware of these meta moves and for them to not get fully destroyed in the early game

---

I suggest a page in the forum that lists down openers with high win rates in competitive mods.

Classic Competitive Mods:
aikidobigdojo, judo, lenshu3ng, boxshu_mushu_v3, taekkyon

The page in the forum would contain things such as
* Move name
* Steps to do the opener
* Description of how the opener is played out

---

Would be cool to get pros to write out some meta moves and help newbies get good at the game
Last edited by Karstnator; Dec 24, 2021 at 12:01 AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toribash Season 1 Rank 3 | Ex-ES Artist | Ex-Mascot of [Alpha]
CLAN LEAGUE 2019 WINNER
While I don't necessarily agree with the idea of giving everyone openers to spam, I do feel it's important to teach them what is good and what isn't in certain competitive mods, and i think this goes beyond openers, for example in mods like boxshu and lenshu, certain positions are used very commonly due to how good they are at generating momentum and just launching you in whatever direction, such as the crab. I support this idea, but perhaps a different approach would be ideal.
I think it would be interesting if there was a place in the client where you could read some reviewed official guides written by experienced players, something along those lines at least.
fimmy toribsah discorD DECAPgo be on fire somewhere elseₜₕₑ fᵢᵣetck listener
I agree with iris here that we shouldn't just be feeding new players those openers that have a way higher chance of winning in certain mods as that won't properly nurture their development and it could result in dependence of those openers. What I would suggest and what I've seen before, and read and learned from, there used to be really nice interesting guides made by people like fear and toffee, like this one: https://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=395422 and also this one: https://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=545314 in my experience, I've personally read and learned from these when I was just starting out and information may be a little bit outdated as how we play these mods has changed in the last 5-8 years, a new guide wouldn't hurt at all. There were also video essays made by the community, but one that stands out to me the most was the one with gameplay made by moop and diamond: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQxedUBTwqY this is also a good way of teaching as players get to see more about how joints work and how a pro player would move during a turn.

If anyone wants to make any updated guides or video essays or anything of the like, you're welcome to do so and I will see if there's anything staff can do to help you if you choose to do something.
pm me your questions or applications

https://i.imgur.com/1GWtVnU.png

dance with my dogs in the night time
cash to burn
It’s either these new openers or the ones on YouTube from 2011 so I support this idea.

tbh i wouldnt be too worried about new players becoming dependent on these new openers to win. it’s more about having a deep understanding of advanced movement mechanics before anything else imo.

the initial 50/50 opening sequence isn’t consistently winnable so your best bet is to work with what you got after that. a movelist like this only covers the first turn and the next 2 or so turns after but beyond that it’s not really effective.

edit: judo is not a competitive mod stop it
Last edited by skizz; Dec 22, 2021 at 09:15 PM.
Originally Posted by skizz View Post
It’s either these new openers or the ones on YouTube from 2011 so I support this idea.

tbh i wouldnt be too worried about new players becoming dependent on these new openers to win. it’s more about having a deep understanding of advanced movement mechanics before anything else imo.

the initial 50/50 opening sequence isn’t consistently winnable so your best bet is to work with what you got after that. a movelist like this only covers the first turn the next 2 or so turns after but beyond that it’s not really effective.

I really do feel like the idea needs to be expanded a little, going beyond openers and all that jazz, all the way to fundamentals, such as:

-How do I generate momentum?
-How do I properly defend myself?
-How do I properly attack?

I think telling people how to play the first and maybe second turn just won't help them too much, we can instead help them figure out what makes a move effective, and let them do their own openers based off of that knowledge.
I would say make a ingame Tutorial that goes into detail about how a lift works in Aikido or Aikidobigdojo which is more popular, how to perform the lift, and how to counter it but do it in a way that makes the player have to think for themselves so they are able to hopefully learn the game faster.
Originally Posted by McFarbo View Post
I would say make a ingame Tutorial that goes into detail about how a lift works in Aikido or Aikidobigdojo which is more popular, how to perform the lift, and how to counter it but do it in a way that makes the player have to think for themselves so they are able to hopefully learn the game faster.

McFarbo's idea is honestly great and perhaps we could do that for other situations for the other mods, might take a bit of work but if it helps, it helps. I like it.
Maybe my aim wasn't going towards the right direction... I'll update the op

The reasons why I suggest having a page for openers are:
* To keep players updated on what moves are meta

* To make noobs aware of these meta moves and for them to not get fully destroyed in the early game

This is because the problem is that noobs get destroyed/are at a huge disadvantage in the early game. For example, getting rushed at, not contracting wrists in abd, etc...

The players will eventually learn and develop their own style; its up to them how they'll play out the mid-game.

Look at standard chess openings for example... they're just there for people to refer to.

This is a recommendation for the site

=====

Ingame,

I highly suggest implementing what McFarbo said.

We can start small with ingame aikidobigdojo tutorials on
- Openers (noob clap, clap w/ contracted wrists, snap kicks, lifting)
- How to counter snap kicks
- How to counter lifts

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toribash Season 1 Rank 3 | Ex-ES Artist | Ex-Mascot of [Alpha]
CLAN LEAGUE 2019 WINNER
Originally Posted by Karstnator View Post
Would be cool to get pros to write out some meta moves and help newbies get good at the game

the problem is only a few "pros" are gonna bother to help.