Toribash
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Original Post
Why is there no contemporary art in toribash?
While the title may seem shitpost-esque, I'm very interested to see how this thread "goes" and how does everyone feel in regards to this topic.

Why is there no contemporary art in toribash?

I had this question for some time, and couldn't find any reason for it. Contemporary art is meant to break the mould.

So with this concept in mind, why hasn't there been any attempt to "break" it. The barrier, of which I refer to, is the limitations of our canvas, and for this discussion I want to solely focus on the tori, so the in-game aspect of it. While some rules are set, so nothing that is very intrusive/offensive (can't go Andreas Serrano). Ive just wondered, why are there no contemporary sets, just made in various ways. Imagine a set drawn by hand on paper, then scanned and mapped onto a texture. Thats where Im going with my idea. Would collectors be willing to pay more, if the set was made in a pioneering way?
We are currently stuck in renaissance, with no new ideas and a given standard still upheld over the years.

I'm open to any discussion, how this is a dumb idea (or a great one) or maybe even why you'd want to (as an artist) try to do something of such similarity.

**If this gains any interest, I'll further elaborate on it, but for now I'll let a "loose thought" make the thread.