ES Recruitment Drive
MacSparrow, I come to seek your knowledge once more. I'm trying to make a golem mod but it's no fun when every single game it acts in the same way. Too easy to predict after seeing it once or twice. Is there any way to introduce randomness into the mod so that each game it will act differently?
If you want to introduce randomness into the physics simulation you have to somehow use the players as input because all the randomness in toribash comes from the players. Without any interference from the players the physics will always run the same everytime. Some mods just arn't possible because of this. I don't really know what you mean by golem mod so just plz explain it and maybe I can help you more.
Originally Posted by MacSparrow View Post
If you want to introduce randomness into the physics simulation you have to somehow use the players as input because all the randomness in toribash comes from the players. Without any interference from the players the physics will always run the same everytime. Some mods just arn't possible because of this. I don't really know what you mean by golem mod so just plz explain it and maybe I can help you more.

It's what it sounds like. There's a bunch of joint blocks moving together (a "golem" of sorts) though at the moment it doesn't look much like a golem. Just a bunch of moving blocks. But my concern at the moment is to make it behave at least somewhat randomly. I'm attaching a wip if you want to look.
Attached Files
golem5.tbm (2.3 KB, 2 views)
So the golem can only act randomly when the players interfere with it. For example maybe throwing blocks at it or by touching it. As long as the players don't do the same exact thing every game, then each game will be different. Also I tried to fix the rotations so it rotates more like how you might want it. Also you can kind of make it more unpredictable(but not random) by changing the center of mass of it. So try puting the mass of one of the arms to like .0001 and see what happens.
Attached Files
golem6.tbm (2.4 KB, 7 views)
Hey, thanks! You made golem much more golem-like. And yeah I thought about disrupting golem movement with uke and tori input but haven't come up with a good way to actually do that yet.
Originally Posted by William View Post
just put both players in a box and release this golem XD

Oh I always envisioned them to be in a "box" of sorts, to prevent golem from just running away. But that wouldn't solve the issue of predictability. However, the good news is that I think I've found a way to introduce a bit of "randomness" in the mod :P
MacSparrow, can you help me out? I just want the back-supporting plate to stay erect, in place, but it falls through the object for some reason. I tried messing with joint strength and axis but it makes no difference. Maybe that's just how things work, but I've seen attachments like that in other mods, so it seems like it should be possible.
Attached Files
modmaker157.tbm (3.4 KB, 3 views)
Originally Posted by Odlov View Post
MacSparrow, can you help me out? I just want the back-supporting plate to stay erect, in place, but it falls through the object for some reason. I tried messing with joint strength and axis but it makes no difference. Maybe that's just how things work, but I've seen attachments like that in other mods, so it seems like it should be possible.

OK so I think all thats happening is that the back plate is being pulled down by the back wheels. The wheels go forward a bit and rub on the plate. So you can either change the width of the plate to be smaller or raise it up so the wheels have no chance of touching it.