Ranking
Original Post
Compiled list of Art Programs for Texturing
Okay, so it seems like there is a new "What Art Program should I use" thread every week, so I figured I'd go ahead and make a list of Art Programs you can choose from with a bit of info about them.

Most commonly used for Textures:
Photoshop - One of the most powerful Art programs out there, and is well suited for creating Toribash textures.
Gimp - A powerful and easy to use Art program, also the free alternative to Photoshop. I use it, personally.

Free Art Programs:
Krita - A lightweight Art program with quite a few nifty features. A mixture of Gimp and Pain Tool SAI
Gimp
- A powerful and easy to use Art program, also the free alternative to Photoshop. I use it, personally
Paint.NET - An old, but reliable Art program. Slightly less powerful than gimp, but able to get what you want done.
SumoPaint - Both usable in your browser and on your desktop. Comes with nice features for the free version, and is rather easy to use.
Project Dogwaffle - A program with similarities that of ArtRage and Painter.
Artweaver - A lightweight Art program with commendable features, and a rather neat collaboration feature.
openCanvas - Designed with tablet users in mind, easy to use, and straight to the point.

Non-Free Art Programs:
Photoshop - One of the most powerful Art programs out there, and is well suited for creating Toribash textures.
Coral Painter- Abundent traditional Art features, amazing brush engine, etc, etc.
ArtRage - Another amazing brush engine that emulates traditional tools. 80J4N uses it 8 D
Paint Tool SAI - Popular for a lot of particular artist. Great brush engine for mixing and stabilization. Used by Chris.
SketchBook - The standard for a lot of big companies. Has unique features, and a brush engine similar to Photoshop. Used by Jebus.
Adobe Illustrator - An powerful Art program from the same company as Photoshop with built in tutorials.

3D Art Programs:
Mudbox - Digital painting and digital sculpting software. Expensive, but it's free for students.
Zbrush - 3D Art software for painting and sculpting with powerful features and intuitive workflow. 795 $
Blender 3D - Free 3D Art program with great features and an amazing community.

Tip - Remember before picking a program that no matter which you use, It won't make you a better Artist, you have to put in the time and effort of learning artistic skills to produce better art.
Last edited by Mathias; Dec 10, 2014 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Updating
Done with this community, you guys suck.
Originally Posted by zwouter View Post
Shouldn't SAI be in the list of free ones?

The website says it's free for 31 days, so you have to pay afterwards.

Also I praise you for making this.
Photoshop CS2 is free, I use it
The past makes you wanna die out of regret, and future makes you depressed out of anxiety. So by elimination, the present is likely the happiest time.
Mudbox is 3d and used by a few toribash arists, it's just very expensive
Hi
Rapid Threads Lmod.
Got any questions? Feel free to ask!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
MudBox is a 3D 'art' program I guess, and yes people use it. You can have a student license if you apply for one at the Autodesk site, which lasts a few years (pretty much means you save the money for a few years). The student license works the same way with most autodesk products to my memory, including Maya and so on.

As for using Mudbox in texturing, there is a Tori rig for it somewhere on the internet but it has issues with anything before Mudbox 2014. So yea, little heads up (I use 2015 Mudbox so it makes no difference to me).
I'm a game developer for other games.
Ping me if you have a query or general question unrelated to this game.
http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=382961

Somewhere in that thread is the tori template. If Mudbox gets on this list it might be handy to add.
Hi
Rapid Threads Lmod.
Got any questions? Feel free to ask!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp
Pros
Gimp is a good place to start art wise.
A variety of tools to someone who is new at it,
Premade Color pallets, Textures, everything to help you start with art,
It also has a variety of tools for people who are already diverse with online art programs as well.

Cons
I only used it for a few hours so I haven't noticed any things too major just a some glitches here and there,
Originally Posted by XSQUIDLZX View Post
Are there any 3-D art programs that could go on the list?

Blender 3D