Ranking
Original Post
Processor question
Hello guys,im reading about PC's and see messages like: Amd 1055T, can be overclocked to 4ghz!

So there's question.Why they're writing 4ghz? because my Amd Athlon 3800+ is 4ghz too,but its much older!
Thanks in advance!
cya
Its not only the frequency that is important... There's also the number of cores, the bus speed and the cache size... Plus the efficiency of the manufacturing process, the supported technologies, architecture and so on... The CPU *might* also dictate what type of memory you would be able to use, if its a CPU with an embedded memory controller.
So don't just care just about frequency values. There are many things that can affect its performance as a whole

The AMD Phenom II X6 1055T has 6 cores.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi
But those 6cores are making 3.5 ghz together?
how its better than 2 cores making 4ghz?
No, each of the six cores are running at 3.5 ghz. So you effectively have 21 ghz total. However, not many programs/games use more than one or two cores at a time, so you may find that performance doesn't improve all that much. Plus with that much processing power you may find that your system bottlenecks.
Well that's if every core is running at full power which is highly unlikely unless are running several CPU intensive programs.
Wow nice information. but i have one question can i overclocke my Intel C2D 2.0 ghz processor in my laptop.and how to overclocke it plz suggest me.
http://www.compunamics.com/overclocking.htm

All the information you will need to overclock. I personally wouldn't overclock anything that is in a laptop all that much. You will overheat really easily.
Originally Posted by Onamist View Post
No, each of the six cores are running at 3.5 ghz. So you effectively have 21 ghz total. However, not many programs/games use more than one or two cores at a time, so you may find that performance doesn't improve all that much. Plus with that much processing power you may find that your system bottlenecks.

I see what your saying, but it's worth pointing out since GHz is a function of time it doesn't add like that.

Either way, having 2 cores is more important than having 4GHz, even two cores at 2GHz are better than 1 core at 4.
For games Cache is also important.
Also more than two cores is not necessary for games, but probably will be in the not too distant future.

Overclocking is also perfectly safe, just follow a few guides and get a nice heat sink, that being said, as Mr.Onamist said, don't overclock laptops unless your company name is Dell, and you hate your customers. :P
Last edited by Vox; Jul 13, 2010 at 10:30 AM.
so technically unless you've overclocked your cpu from stock settings it's either 2.0ghz or 2.4ghz (cant remember exactly what the 3800+ is but it's not 4ghz) also newer technology behind the processors is what makes them better not necessarily the ghz in which they run at. if you want to know how much better a cpu is than yours find some comparison benchmarks
You don't say?