Ranking
Original Post
How to apply for a staff position 101!
Yeah, after reading tons and tons of stupid applications, I decided to write this guide. I'm no Erth so this won't be too pretty or good, but hell, who cares.
So I'll give ya a few short pointers about how to write a good application (even though I suck at apps).

This will be mostly from GM app perspective, due to it being the most applied position and my personal history with it. Most of this stuff will apply to other positions too, so worry not reading this won't be waste of time.

1. KNOW WHAT YOU ARE APPLYING TO!

THIS IS IMPORTANT. If you are applying for GameMaster, please, don't talk about how you want to moderate forums. That's not what GameMasters do.
Or if you want to do in-game stuff, don't apply to Market Squad.

And so forth..

TL;DR: DO YOUR RESEARCH, THINK WHAT YOU REALLY WANT TO DO and APPLY TO THE RIGHT POSITION.

2. DON'T FILL YOUR APPLICATION WITH USELESS JUNK!

We don't want to know how good you are in aikido/tk/lolnade.tbm nor do we want to know your shoe size. THIS APPLIES TO YOUR BELT AND RANK TOO!

Keep your application short and to the point. AND FOR HAMPA'S SAKE, DON'T TELL US HOW MATURE YOU ARE! Really, if you want to point that out show it with our application and actions, instead of simply writing it to your app.

TL;DR: Keep your applications short and sweet, instead of filling it with junk info.

3. FORMAT YOUR WALL OF TEXT!

If you still really, really want to write your story of life, feel free, but at least format it so that it isn't gigantic wall o' text. Use paragraphs, full stops and what's most important PROOF READ YOUR DAMN APPLICATION, TWICE!

Hardly any position requires perfect language or writing skills, BUT SHOWING THAT YOU HAVE SOME KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THEM WILL HELP!

TL;DR: You are clearly a lost case and I won't bother with you anymore.

4. USE EXAMPLES!

IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCED IN HOSTING/MODERATING/ETC SHOW IT.

How you may ask! Simple, LINK TO IT!

You've hosted forum events? Link it.
Solved some kind of hairy scam/tech support case? Link it.
You have loads of moderation experience from other forums? Link to them, and explain, what, when and why!
Hosted shit ton of tourneys on your own/for your clan/?? KEEP LOGS! Then show these logs.
You have ideas about how to improve this game/community/stuff: THEN TELL THESE IDEAS!

TL;DR: If you imply that you have previous experience, prove it.

5. RULES CAN AND SHOULD BE BROKEN!

If your application is memorable, funny or shows the effort you've used on it, you automatically have at least 80% better chance to get into whatever you're applying to. Source: See my applications bellow!

TL;D-, oh fuck this...

Time for my favorite part!
Let's analyze few apps, so I can point out what they did wrong (and laugh at people at the same time).

So let's start with one of mine:

This was my first ever staff application and it landed me with a desired job.
And this was before I was (even) as well know as I am now.

Originally Posted by Dargon's GK App
My name is Dargon and I am Ircholic.
I spend my days scrollin' thru forums while ircin', havin' no social life outside of the interwebz.

This is actually pretty good example (of a shitty app that gets the job done), even though for wrong reason. Please kids, don't try this at home, please. :<

The application is shitty, it has no saving qualities but it is funny if you are familiar with the context. Still I got the job, which was Gamekeeper (who were later dismissed and reformed to Gamemasters.)

The point I'm trying to drive in here is this: "SHOW THAT YOU ACTUALLY ARE WORTH THE POSITION AND THAT YOU POSSESS THE REQUIRED SKILLS TO GET THE JOB DONE."

In this case the application could've been just: "..." and I would've most likely still been chosen for GameKeeper. Why? Because I had shown that I had the required skills, attitude and ability to work in the GK team.

The application doesn't really matter all that much, due to how small this community is. Most likely someone has at least heard about you before you apply, and doing full background search requires few clicks at most.

TL;DR: SHOW THAT YOU SHOULD BE CHOSEN.

I could've used Tarlan as an example as well, but his applications were at least decent compared to this. Context: He was repeatedly denied the GM job, so he spammed tourneys and applications until he got it. He got it by dedication, and now he's Super Moderator. Good job Tarlan.

Tarlan Moderated Message:
Ty Dargon <3

TO THE NEXT EXAMPLE!

Originally Posted by Anon
Hello Im using my alt Cause my real account private massage doesn't work so I will use my alt\ First mistake..
Name: Anon
Belt: 10Th dan black belt Useless information.
Reason: To Help People With Problems And Host a Tourney Reason is decent enough, but you don't require GM powers to do either; See Tarlan.

This is a pretty average application. The applicant himself wasn't all that bad, but sending something as half-assed as this kinda killed his (admittedly remote) chances.

ONWARDS!

Originally Posted by Anon2
Hello. As I said it's about time for me to make my speech on why you should accept me as a gm, or smod, or something that I can do to help in the game. I play and see these gms, tsas, and smods, very rarely. See: Point 1.

I am active and experienced aswell. Point 4. Examples? Just saying that you have experience doesn't really tell that much.

I have no clue what one I should apply for so I decided to post an app and see what I could become because I want to do something that makes the game better for a chance. Second time he "breaks" point 1, and we're not even in his app yet...

App :
I love this game and everything about it. I would do about ANYTHING to be a GM. If I could help people get there stuff back from bans and deal with marketing that would be great! This is not what GMs do. If this is what you want to do, apply to Market Squad. I see few and many flaws in the toribash marketing system. Such as? Examples, people, examples! I think if there were more active and enthusiastic GMs (not saying there bad) then the market could be much better. I speek truth of what I feel and I hope that no GMs would be offended b it. Why would they be, they're not doing any of the things you mention... :( One thing that I could help the most is being someone that does something for the game I love. ;) Point 3, with better formatting, this wall'o'text would've been much more enjoyable and professional looking.

Please consider: If It so happens that I do not make it this time...:

*snip*

Keyword here is "RESEARCH", or lack of it. He didn't even bother to research what are the requirements or duties of a GM. Also, this was titled as "GM/SMOD" which was, well stupid. If you apply to something, title it as "APPLICATION, GM" or something that shows the reason of your PM.

When the applications are open, all the leaders will be flooded with hundreds of applications (plus normal PMs). Badly titled app may and will be lost among the other PMs. Or get not forwarded at all.. Been there done that.

MORE!

Originally Posted by Anon3
My name is Inco G. Nito (a.k.a. Anon3) and I would like to apply to be a GM. He went straight to the point, good so far. I have been playing Toribash for about 3 months. I am a 12 year old American boy from Missouri. I found the game on youtube after searching for some funny gameplay from sumotori and other indie games like that and a video of a game called Toribash popped up. I searched and found out it was free. After downloading it, I fell in love with it. I have been playing nonstop ever since I started. Useless. I started looking on the forums and saw these cool ranks like Market squad, gm and, a couple others. I researched a little further to find out what they do. After reading about it, I became very interested in what they did. I wanted to do something more than just play. I wondered a while before researching how to apply. At least he did do some research, this guy will go far! After seeing the likes of you and others like monk, Fish, and AzureMage and all that you were offering people in terms of fun and entertainment, I thought I should try for GM. I enjoy being around other people. I play a lot of team sports for that reason. I am a decent leader and a pretty good negotiator. A little bit of ass-kissing and polishing your image has never hurt anyone. My dad is a lawyer which might contribute to that. Useless detail, but let's forgive this. I just want to help people have fun. I watch a lot of youtube lpers (create "let's plays") and pay attention to how they do things so that I may be able to do that ,too. Hardly relevant, but at least he's trying. I am a very quick learner. I don't know as much about the game as some people, but if someone teaches me then I will pick it up very easily.I am very all around in my skills so I could probably help with a lot of things. Thanks for considering my application. -Inco G. Finally done with this huge Wall'O'Text!

All in all, the application was at least decent. Had its ups and downs and was a bit long. Still it was well thought and written and he didn't claim to be anything he wasn't. I'd give this app 8/10. So it was pretty good.

And last!
Originally Posted by Dargon
Smod app

Dargon aka Onzu/Oantteri
[email protected]
GMT +2 Finland

Postion applying for:
Super Moderator

Skills and Qualifications
*Experienced moderator.
*Extended knowledge about solving complicated user generated problems.
*Vast knowledge about Super moderator job related stuff.
*Used to collaborate with staff memebers to complete and solve various tasks and problems.

Languages Skills
*Finnish - Native language
*English - Advanced level
*Swedish - Basic level

Experience

Toribash
*Support Board Moderator: August 2010 - Present (there was couple weeks long break when I started my army career)
*Off-Topic Board Moderator: July 2011 - Present
*'Wibble Cop': for couple months (Just before THE FINAL PURGE)
* Hall Of Shame local Moderator: (For around two hours when I tried to find "Ukegod Clan thread".)
*Gamekeeper: August 2010 - January 2011.
*Tori-Agent: January 2011 - March 2011 (Before usergroup was established for Trial GMs)
*Gamemaster: March 2011 - October 2011

Complex Logic
*Forum Super Moderator 2007-2008
*Forum and server Administrator 2008 - 2009
*IRCOP 2008 - 2009 Unimportant, but hey, trying to get shot at IRCOP with Smods app ain't too bad. ;)

Other
*Minor staff positions in other Finnish internet communities.

Even if I may say so myself that is actually a pretty professional looking application. If your application looks similar to this I'd hire you!

Fixed some Grammatical errors and spellings.
-Cake
Last edited by WorldEater; Oct 28, 2017 at 03:42 PM.
Best tutorial ever. 10/10
But now it's gonna be harder to choose a GM cause most of applicants will read this.
But still, this should be stickied.
I really liked the tutorial. Thanks for the tips Dargon. Just a question, if our application has some flaws in it, will the GM's close an eye and treat it as your application doesn't have any mistakes? I know this question sounds weird but I have to ask this.

EDIT
Ex-Gamemaster
Shoot me a PM if you have any queries!
and then we got this app.

Originally Posted by Anon4
Gm. app

Inc O. G. Nito
[email protected]
GMT East Us

Postion applying for:
Game Master

Skills and Qualifications
*Experienced moderator.
*Extended knowledge about solving complicated user generated problems.
*Vast knowledge about Super moderator job related stuff.
*Used to collaborate with staff memebers to complete and solve various tasks and problems.

Languages Skills
*English - Advanced level (only)

Experience

Toribash
one day i was playing with a friend in my own server that i had created i was OP, then some one came in and started to fight saying that we shovel to much.. i would have just kicked, but i was nice to stop i did and he keeped on going saying that we was noobs, so in stead of kicking/banning i just let him beat me. and he was happy.

...well, uh...
Obviously if you don't understand shit what's said in this thread, then you won't have ANY chance. At all. Try again in 5 years or so.
Also, copypasting? Seriously? That's low, man. If I see ANY of you trying to copypaste anything from this thread for your application, I think I might just throw a fit.

DON'T MAKE OTHERS DO YOUR WORK, GUYS. YOU ARE THE ONE APPLYING, NOT SOMEONE ELSE.

Originally Posted by Uncle View Post
Best tutorial ever. 10/10
But now it's gonna be harder to choose a GM cause most of applicants will read this.
But still, this should be stickied.

I doubt there'll be any trouble, judging from the app above.

dealornot I didn't even get your question
Last edited by Tonakai; Jul 28, 2013 at 12:28 PM.
Well, judging from the app you just posted. There will be less problems cause many will just c/p and it will be easier to just throw out useless people from applying etc.
Originally Posted by dealornot View Post
I really liked the tutorial. Thanks for the tips Dargon. Just a question, if our application has some flaws in it, will the GM's close an eye and treat it as your application doesn't have any mistakes? I know this question sounds weird but I have to ask this.

EDIT

Yes. If your app has small flaws, it won't really hurt your chances; see my fisrt app.

Consider your application like this: You're trying to sell yourself to whatever position you're applying for. Even if the description is bit bad, but the product (you) is good enough you'll still sell (get that position).

In most cases application affects only positively.
How to we show experience if, we are applying to be a mod for the first time.

Its not very appealing for an app to be mainly a paragraph telling about your self.
Originally Posted by Narci View Post
How to we show experience if, we are applying to be a mod for the first time.

Its not very appealing for an app to be mainly a paragraph telling about your self.

Every single one of the staff was applying to be a mod for the first time at some point. Experience isn't a make all and break all kind of deal. Just be known in the community and be a good responsible and helpful person.

Also its a free form app for a reason. Your app doesn't have to be exactly like he said above. Think of something new, something good and use that in your application.

"[11:17pm] Thorn: I'm gonna have to ask you to stop being so productive"
Yay Dargon you posted it!!! I remember talking to you about this ig. Well I have been thinking of applying and I am still thinking, but If I ever do I will totaly use this (But at the same time make my app unique in its very own way)! Thanks for your help.

(im)

Nice work, Dargon. And that guy's cope pasta app was hilarious.

Oh and fish made a pretty nice note too on staff positions: http://forum.toribash.com/showpost.p...33&postcount=2

Originally Posted by Fish View Post

Not exactly on apps, but it covers general information such as when a person should apply etc. Pretty useful. You can add this to the guide.