Toribash
Original Post
Activity check and Legendary clans news
Good morning to all of you,

Today's news have been in discussion for quite a while among the clan staff team, and today they can finally be announced to the public.

What exactly is the news?

We have 2 major news points.

Thank you all for reading, if you have any questions or objections feel free to point them out in this thread, cheers.
Last edited by duck; Jul 22, 2018 at 08:20 PM.
h
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Just keep your forum activity and play a few games a month, isn't that hard in my opinion.

After all, this is a game. (don't kill me please i'm only 8 cute cute ^-^)

First of all Aeon is older than you XD

And after that time we all grew up a bit and rl stuff like jobs and kids or relationships got more important so naturally we all don't play that much anymore...
<Aeon><Master Belt><Gamers Inc.><RMO><GERMAN Unibash Manager>
^-^Join My Fan Club^-^Aeon Elite Video^-^
Join Aeon
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Spaft|Vipertech|Chirs|Jormungandr|SocKeTe|threedog 2|Habeeb|SXDave
Originally Posted by Dare View Post
Why can't staff realize this...
It's in plain sight. Ever since this thread opened up how many dislikes have you received?

Hell, I talked to hampa and not even he likes it.
There's a ton of points being made in this thread, and I agree with the "this is a bad idea" side. Now although I am still very much so active in-game I completely understand what everyone else is saying, this game is the exact same as it was when it came out, adding new items and saying "Hey guys this is brand new and fun" and acting like there was ever an incentive before to play the game and then enforcing a rule saying you'll kill their clan if they don't play the game is a horrible idea considering a good portion of staff members don't even want to play the game.

This game isn't large and believe what you want but it's dying, whats left is the community that has been here for years and to say they need to play the game without considering many other factors is wrong, ask every member still active why they're still active and I promise %99 will say they're here because of the community. Can you honestly be upset that people don't want to play a game they've been a part of for 5-12 years already? You're insane if you do. People get bored and it's understandable, why can't you be happy they're still here contributing to the community on the forums and not threaten their clans for not wanting to play a game that has been the same for so long?

With all this being said that doesn't mean reverse this and wait for TBN to release and then enforce it again, we can't sit here and pretend TBN is going to be a new heart for this dead horse in the dirt and ignore other factors of why this game is dying and enforce a nonsense incentive to get players in-game. TBN is nothing but Toribash in Unity with very few "cool new fun stuffs!" and will be a very short-lived fad that dies quickly like what has happened with Mini Bash and Pii Racer. Higher ups are targetting the wrong people right now to keep this game alive and it's goofy and it's the only reason I could think of why you would want to enforce something like this.

There's so much wrong with Toribash right now, much SkulFuk has mentioned in previous threads and we're going about everything all wrong, but to keep this short you're going about clan activity wrong. We can't be channeling game activity to forums and then from forums to Discord now and then try to enforce something like this to get people in-game and then not even account for forums or discord activity, it's a horrible idea and I hope the deciding members can really sit and think about this because it doesn't take any more than 3 minutes of thinking to realize "wow, maybe this wasn't a good idea". I also don't want you to think I'm bashing you, this idea was very good in theory and I understand where it came from but this idea will not work for a community such as Toribash's.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~ raku ~ Team Girl Scouts ~ Clan League 2013 Champion ~ Duelist ~
Prince
Fucking
Ravioli
Originally Posted by Tonakai View Post
"We have to kick our beloved inactive members!"
I admit I'm not entirely sure what determines an "inactive member".
Is it simply the length of how long they have not logged in to the game?
Has it been weeks? Months? Years?
Are they inactive in the game only, and they still frequent the forums and/or Discord?
Does it matter if an inactive member is kicked out for being gone for a long time?
Especially if they gave no reason to their absence?
Not like everyone absolutely needs to give a reason.
Sometimes other things start interesting a person more than Toribash, and it just happens.
If they come back, they can just ask to join back.
If they're your friends, I'm sure they wouldn't be offended, no?
I don't see the problem here.

if a clans wants to keep inactive members that is up to the clan to
decide it,and not you guys.

Also doing an "activity check" in the middle of the summer,
smart move
Game changes are made for the good of the game and the community.
However, since these changes are rejected by pretty much most of the community, why the fuck would you implement it? It's just making things worse
"[Old Clan Checking method] has proven to be ineffective every time when some part of the clan staff was lacking in members or activity which made organizing activity checks much harder."

If I'm reading that right, the entire organization was too inactive to put together time to check the inactivity of clans? Is there not irony in this? The reason for this new method is that the clan staff board itself was too inactive in years past? That should be a serious sign for the state of toribash, and not a need to kill clans further. Has no one bothered to stop and ask why purging inactive clans is necessary? Surely we could put together a list of pros and cons for clan deletion or not. It would be extremely hard to justify the NEED to delete them, other than just the want.

I'm sure many when they first started, looked up to the older clans and idolized them for whatever reason, presumably from an encounter with one of the members ingame which had a lasting impression. "One day I will be good enough for that clan." It's kinda like tearing down an old statue of the past because you don't agree with it. It serves as a landmark, a sign, and reminder of a different era and those traditions that existed with it.

The staff seems to hold itself as knowing what's best for the community but never bothered to ask the community what was best for itself. Take away the colored names and special permissions, and your ideas are not any better than ours. Seeing as this thread has incentivized some of the oldest most loyal players to post, it should be an indicator of the love and passion they have for their clans. People started playing Toribash for its uniqueness, and stayed for those they met in it.

Things I see as the goal of the new activity check:
1. Easier on the very few staff members
2. Boost ingame activity of players
3. Unclutter the official clan board
4. Room for new clans

1. You're cutting out the heart of the community to make a voluntary job easier on yourself.
2. Forcing activity by means of keeping your clan around, is a temporary solution for a much larger problem. Who does it benefit if we go in-game or we don't? Does Nabi make more money? Doubtful. I've probably spent 5 years playing every single day in-game, and the next 4 years on and off. You're going to remove Jolly to make room for a minute influx of people starting a clan who've not even played for more than 1? I feel like there should at least be a sign of appreciation for players who have stuck around this long. Yet, our thank you is a deletion of the single thing we've held onto this entire time, a constant familiarity. You won't be forcing any clans ingame that don't already go there. You'll just be deleting clans. Thus not solving any activity issues.
3. Scrolling down the official clans page does not take more than 10 seconds. As a matter of fact, it's quite interesting to see all the other official clans out there and their history. Are we really going to argue, that deleting the backbone of members' communities is worth a more pleasing aesthetic? That is truly laughable.
4. There are 13 clans that have posted in the last 7 days. 7 have posted in the past 24 hours. There really isn't a bustling unofficial clan space like there used to be, when these activity checks were potentially useful. You're going to be deleting clans for no other reason than an arbitrary want.

If you think the actual game is the reason Toribash was successful, you've never taken the time out to actually think about it. Being confused about the buttons, the physics, was a shared experience. As you played, you saw players more and more frequently, and ultimately joined each other's clan. You opened up Toribash every day excited to see them, talk, and play alongside them. If you think a decades worth of time in the same clan, with the same tag, is worth throwing away, you better have a damned good reason. That reason, I'm yet to see.

If this many people dislike/hate it... it's probably a bad idea. Don't piss off the few remaining players that still enjoy this game. Please reconsider.
Last edited by DropKick; Jul 9, 2018 at 08:53 AM.
A dueler is only a good as his finest lift.

I love many people on this forum such as ...
Uric|Internet|Stellar|Wesley|Boonana|AJ|FireBolty|iRookie|Brucia|Kristis133|Liquidoom|Lightningkid
[type=noob]monk[noob]
I respect...
Is this being scrapped or are you clan squad lazies allowed to flush the community down the toilet?
Can we get inactive clan members rank instead? Our clan has many members who are long gone. And it is fine for us, it is up to us to decide what consists of our clan and what does not. There is even one person we don't know what happened to (we really hope nothing bad happened to him irl, but yeah... It's very rare that person just suddenly stops entering the forum one day and never appears again...) as he disappeared. And we still want to keep him in our clan as he was part of it and we'll rather die as a whole than remove him. You may say "why don't you just remove him when he is inactive anyway?" - that's true, but you know, we are here for so long that these bonds matter more to us. We just want to keep him, even as a memorial. Is it that bad that we are sentimental and do unreasonable things? Do we really have to be so pragmatic when it comes to online community?

So yeah, as a member of old clan - some of us like to have graveyard-like clans. We've been around for almost 10 years already and we hope that you as toribash staff can accept it as we are making history of this game too. If you insist on this kind of activity check I can understand it - but can you take our voice into account too, and organize some kind of Inactive / Lost in Action tier of players which won't account for activity? Or do you think it will be more beneficial for community to just straight up delete us?

This is a move which results in clans being strictly Toribash players communities rather than just Toribash community members colectives (being a member of the community does not require playing). And that's exactly why old clans oppose it - because they come from different era back when the policy was that Clans are just small communities within community, and even IRC activity counted. Most of old clans come from that era and are used to these standards - that's why we prefer them, it's like changing rules of the game after some time, if we knew it is coming we might have never created a clan in the first place.

Oh, and the worst thing for me- single player is part of toribash too. There are replay makers clans, I can see [T] on your activity check list while it many of the most awesome replaymakers come from that clan. You are straight up not considering replaymaking & single-player as activity which allows people to create clans. I can understand all other points, especially those about inactivity, but I really can't understand the fact that this way of checking activity reduces toribash to multiplayer-only thing while SP is really strong and important too.
Last edited by Thrandir; Jul 12, 2018 at 07:51 PM.
As stated in the OP, clans are not getting deleted. They are getting their official status taken away. Therefore, if you just want your clan for the memberlist of dead people, you get to keep that.

And we want to avoid adding an inactive rank because clans could just shove people there who might not exactly be inactive but rather haven't contributed to in-game activity, thus enabling a loophole to pass the check nonetheless.

EDIT: Oh yeah SP clans. We can make an exception for them if enough of their members actually post/make replays. If none are posted then we can't exactly gauge if they actually even make the replays, y'know.
Last edited by duck; Jul 12, 2018 at 07:58 PM.