Toribash
Original Post
<playername> has joined the room.
while playing in any room, the players are automatically alerted when another player disconnects/pings and also when the operator executes a command through the chat, but it doesn't say when a new player joins the room. I would like to see one of those short gray messages when a player connects. this could be useful in rooms with a lot of people, like bets and tourneys, because sometimes you don't notice that someone (maybe a friend or clan-mate) is there before you see their name in the long list.
clearly I could. the fact is you still noted that the servers would be more crashy and the chat would be more spammy

do you actually have any argument or justification for supporting the idea or are you just here to be edgy?
Don't dm me pictures of bowls that you find attractive.
Originally Posted by SmallBowl View Post
clearly I could. the fact is you still noted that the servers would be more crashy and the chat would be more spammy

do you actually have any argument or justification for supporting the idea or are you just here to be edgy?

Then you should be able to register the simple fact that server crashes due to those things are very rare. You've been in bet servers, right? If one spends enough time in bet servers, they'll eventually witness a match that's either a.) Really close with a ton of tc in bets b.) looks like an obvious rig. The chat explodes. Sometimes it can get bad enough where a message can go from the bottom of the chat to the top in just a few seconds. I haven't seen a server crash from it to date. So forgive me if I'm a little skeptical about a server crashing from a few people entering (and that consequently appearing in the chat).
If youve been in bet servers recently, you have seen that happen a lot.

server commands such as /bet are especially good at crashing servers, this is a server command, it is not done by a / but it is still a command to the server

this WILL make the server very prone to crashing.


For another way of seeing it, surely youve seen how frequently GMevents crash straight after the global because of people trying to join and /rec, this extra load on the server due to the extra server command will effectively make this twice as bad.

When youre hosting crashes are already way too common, we dont want another source of crashing
Don't dm me pictures of bowls that you find attractive.
Originally Posted by SmallBowl View Post
If youve been in bet servers recently, you have seen that happen a lot.

server commands such as /bet are especially good at crashing servers, this is a server command, it is not done by a / but it is still a command to the server

this WILL make the server very prone to crashing.


For another way of seeing it, surely youve seen how frequently GMevents crash straight after the global because of people trying to join and /rec, this extra load on the server due to the extra server command will effectively make this twice as bad.

When youre hosting crashes are already way too common, we dont want another source of crashing

For the former, we're just pitting our experience against each others' and that will get us nowhere. I admit that, as of late, servers seem to be crashing more often, but that, as far as my experience goes, is only as of late. It's silly to look at events that are fairly constant (chat, /bet) and blame those for the recent server crashes when it's more likely some unidentified variable is the culprit. For the latter, I will have to resign that point because I have indeed noticed GM Events crashing right after the global.

I shouldn't have to point out that it isn't necessarily only the big things, but the sum of all the little things that define the quality of a game. Most people recognize that as something to be true; That the little things are what set a good game apart from a great thing. This seems like a fairly pain-free addition to servers, and I honestly cannot imagine things being as bad as you speculate. I suppose we can consider this discussion halted until someone who actually has knowledge of the toll this particular feature would put on a server can give their two cents.
Originally Posted by pouffywall View Post
For the former, we're just pitting our experience against each others' and that will get us nowhere. I admit that, as of late, servers seem to be crashing more often, but that, as far as my experience goes, is only as of late. It's silly to look at events that are fairly constant (chat, /bet) and blame those for the recent server crashes when it's more likely some unidentified variable is the culprit. For the latter, I will have to resign that point because I have indeed noticed GM Events crashing right after the global.

Its not pitting experience, its stating a fact, betting servers recently have been crashing a lot, if you speak to someone who hosts these bet servers like Vitta you will be told that it is almost always when there is a lot of chat or a lot of bets coming in at once.

I shouldn't have to point out that it isn't necessarily only the big things, but the sum of all the little things that define the quality of a game. Most people recognize that as something to be true; That the little things are what set a good game apart from a great thing. This seems like a fairly pain-free addition to servers, and I honestly cannot imagine things being as bad as you speculate. I suppose we can consider this discussion halted until someone who actually has knowledge of the toll this particular feature would put on a server can give their two cents.

ok, but having a little thing that whose negatives outweigh its positives is illogical however you look at it

please give a positive so it can even be compared against the negatives that have been shown against this idea


ok, im alright with waiting
Don't dm me pictures of bowls that you find attractive.
Originally Posted by SmallBowl View Post
Its not pitting experience, its stating a fact, betting servers recently have been crashing a lot, if you speak to someone who hosts these bet servers like Vitta you will be told that it is almost always when there is a lot of chat or a lot of bets coming in at once.

Read my last post.

Originally Posted by SmallBowl View Post
ok, but having a little thing that whose negatives outweigh its positives is illogical however you look at it

please give a positive so it can even be compared against the negatives that have been shown against this idea


ok, im alright with waiting

But we aren't even sure this negative is substantial enough to even be considered at all. This is a convenient, practical feature, and I have no idea why it wasn't implemented in the first place. We already have a ton of notifications for different actions that people take within servers, and a notification announcing people that have joined a server is the first and foremost to all of those.

Like I said in my previous post, there's nothing more you nor I can add to the discussion at this point because neither of us have concrete knowledge of how difficult this will actually be for the servers to handle.
Sure, it'd be cool to see who joined the room, but is it really necessary? A mediocre way of thinking about why there's a notification for someone leaving but not for someone joining is because the user who leaves can't say anything after they're gone. If you join a room, you can just say something to let people know you're there, that can serve as a notification. I do agree that there should be something to indicate that someone has joined the room, maybe a flashing queue, but not this.

As for the debate as to whether or not adding this to the game would make the server crash, I highly doubt it. I've never seen servers crash due to spammers, they hardly crash at all.

Originally Posted by jyrii View Post
And we need a command that also tells us the last maybe 15 messages a person typed (to see if anyone is force pinging in bet servers or getting themselve force kicked through spamming in whisper). I know you can already do /history but that only shows your history. So how about /history (name) just so we can also see what another person typed. I do realize it's kind of breaking the players privacy a little bit but maybe this is something only ops or staff can do. Just an idea.

I'd love to see this implemented, but would it exclude logs from /bet and /decapprize?

EDIT: @SmallBowl: what do you mean by a server "crashing?"
Perhaps we should be using different terminology.
Last edited by firebolty; Aug 24, 2015 at 07:19 AM.
BAD LUCK
firebolty, servers crash very often, especially in busy rooms, particularly tournies and bet rooms,

when it crashes everything freezes up and that room name cannot be joined for a while, then it ceases to exist completely and you can join the room name again making a new server
Don't dm me pictures of bowls that you find attractive.
Originally Posted by SmallBowl View Post
firebolty, servers crash very often, especially in busy rooms, particularly tournies and bet rooms,

when it crashes everything freezes up and that room name cannot be joined for a while, then it ceases to exist completely and you can join the room name again making a new server

I don't think I or the other contributors to this thread knew that's what you meant, however, I believe what you're referring to is known as "ghosting," not crashing. Regardless, I don't see any real need in this specific feature, but I would like to see something along the lines of this.
BAD LUCK