Toribash
Original Post
Viewing clan history
Uh, hey.

So, I have been in many clans, I have owned and ran a clan. And the amount of people just leave and clan hop, is utterly annoying and ridiculous.

There should, nay, HAS, NEEDS to be punishment for this. I'm not talking about banning or anything of that nature, but I'm not apposed to it if it is needed.

All I am asking is if a player joins a clan, then leaves it, I mean for any reason, they need to have a c"clan-joining-timeout". And at a minimum, it should be a month.

I have had just random members, recruiters and even a co-leader just leave and join many other clans with no punishment at all. People shouldn't just leave without a good reason, but I do understand no one can make them tell a leader they are leaving or even keep them from leaving, but we should try to clean up the clan community by punishing them with a time out.

Future punishment could be a ban from joining clans if they continue to try it.

This isn't a request, this is a must. It's actually annoying.

Any questions, ask. Want more information, PM me.

Thanks.

UPDATE!!!

We have somewhat changed the idea of punishment for leaving clans into a system where Clan Leaders/ Owners are able to keep from inviting Clan Hoppers to their clan by developing a system that allows people to see the clans players have joined, and the duration they were in said clan. This idea was suggested by @sir.

ALSO, @Fee suggested we could create some sort of reward system that the leaders/ owners of the clans can give to players who remain loyal to the clan they are in.

PLEASE, let's focus on developing these points, RATHER THAN attacking me as a clan leader or owner.

My past points before this update have been retracted, hints the link through the text. Any quoting of this text with lines through it from this point forward will be ignored by me.

Thank you!
Last edited by zurka; Oct 11, 2017 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Title Change
~Zurka~
Originally Posted by Creati0n View Post
And I've made my case against why it shouldn't be completely public above, and suggested an alternative method of implementing the system into the forum.

My point is: some users want their privacy from the general playerbase. There isn't a negative to having the clan history list as an opt-in/opt-out aside from a couple people getting upset when a random person leaves their clan because they're a clan hopper.

So the only negative to your system is the exact reason why the OP complained in the first place? This sounds like shit problem-solving.

It seems like you're prioritising the privacy (muh rights) of clan hoppers like yourself at the expense of a system that'll do what the OP wants. There's no purpose, other than protecting clan hoppers, that an opt-in system serves.
Last edited by Ele; Oct 14, 2017 at 03:43 AM.
Well what reason is there to artificially punish clan hopping players? Isn't the punishment of being that type of person organically imposed on them without any system?

People who do things that everyone else doesn't like develop a reputation. Reputations, post history, etc. follow you whether or not there's a log in place to say "Bodhisattva joined Parrot on 4/20/2015". I'm not at all worried about the privacy and the rights of players on this notion, I think there's far more out there than this information if you want to be snooping around, but this implementation fixes very little. If you're the type of clan to invite someone without doing the slightest bit of homework on who you're inviting, you're going to be the type of clan people leave.

I guess the fair counterargument is this sort of thing makes "doing the homework easier"... that's some devil's advocate for you. But my intuition tells me the type of people who won't spend the time looking over someone's history before inviting them won't change their ways and start looking at their clan join history if it were made available to them. I'm of the mindset that this problem fixes itself - people who put effort into considering good clan applicants already don't invite clan hoppers unless they want to. People who don't often cause the type of dissatisfaction that encourages leaving.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
Originally Posted by Ele View Post
So the only negative to your system is the exact reason why the OP complained in the first place? This sounds like shit problem-solving.

It seems like you're prioritising the privacy (muh rights) of clan hoppers like yourself at the expense of a system that'll do what the OP wants. There's no purpose, other than protecting clan hoppers, that an opt-in system serves.

proposed solution you definitely ignored

Here's a great solution for the original post and every single clan leader on the planet. Whether they want to utilize the solution is entirely their choice, similarly to how opting-in and opting-out of it should be entirely their choice.

I'm suggesting an alternative system as I completely disagree with the thought-process that brought the OP to making this thread and agreeing with the system in the first place. It's a medium for people who actually would like to have their privacy from the playerbase, and for people who are indifferent to their information being shown to the public.

So uh, pardon me if I'm pretty indifferent to this system not being entirely what the OP wants - this system doesn't just impact the OP, it impacts the entire community. Take a look at the community picture rather than just the perspective of the thread poster - if you can't, then discussion in this board really isn't for you anyway.
Last edited by Creati0n; Oct 14, 2017 at 06:28 PM.
Proposed fix for clan leaders: make it mandatory for your applicants to show you their clan history with their application if you feel so strongly about seeing their clan history. If they don't, deny their application into your clan. Simple.

People can lie, forget stuff and leave out clans they don't want people to see.
Originally Posted by Surge View Post
People can lie, forget stuff and leave out clans they don't want people to see.

No no no, what he was saying is: make the system, have it be hideable, but leaders should request to see the clan history of the applicant if they desire to
h
Originally Posted by Creati0n View Post
So uh, pardon me if I'm pretty indifferent to this system not being entirely what the OP wants - this system doesn't just impact the OP, it impacts the entire community. Take a look at the community picture rather than just the perspective of the thread poster - if you can't, then discussion in this board really isn't for you anyway.

Again, there's no reason to do any of the stuff you suggest other than to protect clan hoppers.

And yes, you're prioritising the interests of the clan hopper subsection over the interests of anti clan hoppers. Don't try and act like you're looking at the broader community picture when your solution only serves to protect the interests of the clan hopper section of our community.

Also, you should count to 10 before posting. That last bit was super cringey, and it makes you sound like some redfaced angry child that can't deal with opposing opinions. Not a good look.
Originally Posted by Ele View Post
Again, there's no reason to do any of the stuff you suggest other than to protect clan hoppers.

And yes, you're prioritising the interests of the clan hopper subsection over the interests of anti clan hoppers. Don't try and act like you're looking at the broader community picture when your solution only serves to protect the interests of the clan hopper section of our community.

Also, you should count to 10 before posting. That last bit was super cringey, and it makes you sound like some redfaced angry child that can't deal with opposing opinions. Not a good look.

No, he's trying to protect privacy. For someone who argues as much as you, I'd expect you to at least be able to read between the lines.

I for one agree that something that literally pries into everyone's pasts and isn't remotely necessary should at least have the option of being disabled. I can't imagine a point in which I looked back at any clan members that clan hopped and thought "oh I really wish I could've seen this coming", because anyone with any amount of resourcefulness can figure out how to do a little research. The original suggestion is a blatant invasion of privacy, and you supporting it is past the point of satire.
I think I might be retired.
Originally Posted by Grohenbird View Post
No, he's trying to protect privacy. For someone who argues as much as you, I'd expect you to at least be able to read between the lines.

Why would you care if anyone looked at your clan history if you weren't a clan hopper? You wouldn't.

The 'privacy' line is so overblown (this isn't NSA tapping your phones), but aside from that, the suggested opt-in idea doesn't do anything to deter clan hopping. They'd way better off doing nothing instead, cus at least that way you don't waste resources making something pointless and ineffectual.
Originally Posted by Grohenbird View Post
The original suggestion is a blatant invasion of privacy, and you supporting it is past the point of satire.

I haven't actually said I support this idea. I reckon the onus is probably on clan recruiters to know who they're recruiting. I don't think staff needs to encourage or discourage clan hopping.

My point is that if you're gonna make a solution, make an actual solution. This solution doesn't solve the problem OP brought forth - It's ineffectual. Taking that a step further, I also don't see 'the problem' that this opt-in 'solution' would be solving (in fact, it would cause a problem of wasted resources). I'm not here arguing for bad (or pointless) ideas, I'm here to argue against them.
Last edited by Ele; Oct 15, 2017 at 12:11 PM.
I might sound ridiculous but i agree with ele, if people can hide their past history of clans then whats the point? Invasion of what privacy exactly? In the sense of everyone can see the current clan your in so why hide it when you leave it unless you hopped. Nonetheless it wouldn't solve the issue.