Toribash
Original Post
[MUS/VID] Untitled Original Piano Composition
So I made this song.

My first attempt at romance/emotional contemporary writing.

I made it in my head and then played it this morning, filming on my Canon EOS Rebel T3i camera (then uploading to youtube) (so sorry for the relatively poor audio!).

I'm open to writing more to this song, but I'm not too sure, I'd like some comments on it.

My sister says she will write a violin accompaniment when she comes to visit next, which I will probably upload as well.

Sheet music soon to come (hopefully)!

SHEET MUSIC: https://www.noteflight.com/scores/vi...6a7168127545bf

My own thoughts: Too simple in the bass clef, and not enough variation in the treble. The melody is fine, but too repetitive, and there's not enough changes in pitch or notes played. I think the song needed some more depth- more highs and lows.

Any comments would be great! Name suggestions would be awesome :P

Last edited by SkyWhale; Mar 19, 2016 at 06:21 AM.
Co-leader of Nitro | Replays
like you said: could use a little variation in pitch, but for you to just come up with this than play it as beautifully as you did is very impressive.
ur a god. I cant play the piano for shit but I do have a taste for music and I quite enjoyed this. good work!
[edit] I think that at around 2:13 the pace should be spend up. you repeated the same thing a few more times and it didn't sound all to good, it would also tie your ending in a lot better.
Last edited by Zorow; Mar 19, 2016 at 05:58 AM.
♥Team Aikido♦OoT♣Team Lenshu♠
~Link is my personal Dj
Thanks! I'm glad you liked it

This song has nothing on the one I'm currently working on (which I actually started at the same time as this one, but finished this one first). I'll definitely fiddle with the dynamics and tempo of this song as I grow more accustomed to playing it. I knew it was repetitive anyway :P

Here's the sheet music! I know the layout may not look so professional, but that's because I'm not lol. Enjoy!

https://www.noteflight.com/scores/vi...6a7168127545bf

P.S. If you can play piano, I'd love to hear you give this a try!
Co-leader of Nitro | Replays
Good shit, I really like it.
Don't know why, but get a sort of harry potter vibe from the first 40 seconds.
Gets boring towards the end, even though it is sped up a bit.
sorry, not a big music guy so I don't know how to criticise it.
Oooh, very nice.

You're right, it's very simple, but I think that's part of the appeal. Whether intentional or not, I think the scales you pulled from, the slowness (not quite the right word... airy? graceful?) and simplicity of it, along with the lack of harmonic progression really pull together to create a unique feel to the piece.

I'd also just like to mention that intentionally leaving the harmonies unresolved at the end was a great idea and was a fantastic note to end the piece on (terrible pun intended).

That said, around the minute and a half ish mark (?) we'd kinda heard it already and it started to get a bit duller. To hit two birds with one stone (you mentioned you wanted a larger range in the melody?) You could step down into the bass clef with the melody around that point. You could use that "valley" to build straight into the climax of the piece, which I think would sound really cool.

One more thing, I don't think you should just entirely increase the tempo of the last minute and a half-ish. I think doubling up on the melody.. er... replacing each single note with 2 notes of the same pitch (with some exceptions, of course), and keeping the bass the same should be fine if you wanted to speed it up. (Personally I'd only do this around after 2:12 though)

But yeah, this is really nice. When you come up with other stuff I'd love for you to post it