ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Mouse scroll = zoom in / zoom out
Is it possible that this is not suggested before?

I mean its more intuitive than dragging your mouse back and forth to zoom out, zoom in TB camera.
Shouldn't it be:

Mouse scroll button = zoom in / zoom out
Mouse drags = rotations
?

Should be an option in controls to set it like that. In 21st century almost everybody have mouse with a scroll button attached you know... . _ .
-----
Btw, where are the controller settings in TB? Am I missing something?
Last edited by 8OJ4N; May 26, 2013 at 11:16 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
What, you mean add an extra zoom button? Doesn't wasd do the job good enough?
Seems very pointless to me, or maybe I'm missing something.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
It'd make more sense than what the wheel's current bindings are

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Year ago someone told me that binding for mouse scroll button is making tori parts to extend and contract, I was playing Toribash for years before that and never knew that stuff.

I've tried it and I can describe a feeling of using it as: ''puling a teeth from a gay on carousel, hoping to pull the right one every time he make a pass close to the dentist''

It was totally illogical and useless to use in game. But, funny. Maybe that was purpose?

Now, looking at the whole experience from the objective distance of: ''I've tried everything, and saw everything'', I really don't get it why (in a game that is set in full 3D space) camera is so rigid and hard to control.

If we look at any program for 3D modeling, moving a 'camera eye' in them is done like that: scroll mouse for zoom in/ zoom out, right mouse click + directions, drags camera, while holding both mouse buttons makes rotation of camera eye.

So, now I'm wondering, why it wasn't made like that? It makes sense. Good camera means a difference between good and bad game experience in Toribash. You have to constantly 'cruse' around your tori puppet and check bunch of things while making your moves. Easy and intuitive way for controlling your only look at action should be priority. The main thing!

Yes, we can hold one hand on wasd keys, and drag mouse like crazy, but still it's clumsy. It feel clumsy and unfinished.
I won't even try to count how many games I've lost because I didn't manage to get a hold on good look at the situation. Timer is ticking, move must be made, and you lose that precious time wrestling with camera, then DQ because you missed to see what the hell is going on with that one part of the body...

Controls for camera and tori can be set completely on mouse.

- Right click for setting the status of joints
- mouse scroll to zoom in / zoom out
- holding right click to drag camera up, down, left, right (x,y,z)
- holding left + right mouse button to rotate camera around tori (tori in center)

Would the controls correspond those in Blender or 3D studio Max, is option for developer to chose and implement, but I'm sure they would be more intuitive than current setting.

Maybe this is limited due to program language in which engine for TB is made?
Last edited by 8OJ4N; May 27, 2013 at 07:00 AM.
I'd actually go for holding right to rotate the camera & holding the wheel to move position, that'd make it more consistent - especially since holding the right button currently controls the camera rotation so there's no real reason to change that.

<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
See, even keyboard players like me can see a use for this ;)

<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
I actually kind of like it the way it is. I use the mouse wheel to scroll through joints all of the time... oh well.
[23:23:53] <AndChat|700625> Blue eyes ultimate dragon best card
[23:24:29] <AndChat|700625> You know the one with 3 heads
[23:24:39] <~Lightningkid> just like my dick

[11:35:40] <box> Hampa suck
[11:36:21] <hampa> not the first to tell me that today
The majority of mouse players don't use the wheel, they just spam click to change states.
It's why we get so many questions about getting all the states working on a single button instead of the being split between the left button & wheel.

<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you