ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
[WIP/LUA] Toribash Tutorials for Competitive Mods
Intro
Hello, Karstnator here.
It has come to my attention that there has been pretty cool stuff I wasn't aware of such as the UI Manager and Ingame Tutorials.
As someone who used to play the game competitively, I'll try to design a script that show a set of tutorials in various competitive mods, mainly aikidobigdojo.tbm, lenshu3ng.tbm, and taekkyon.tbm.

- - - - -

Part 1 - Starting the script
Upon running the script, I plan on showing the player three different cards to choose from, which represents the three main mod categories (grappling, striking, and kicking).

- - - - -

Part 2 - List of Tutorials in X Mod Category
After they have chosen a mod category, they'll be redirected to an interface where they could:

• Select a tutorial from the set of options or go back to the previous interface
  • Read bite-sized information about the fundamentals of the chosen mod category
  • Play an ingame tutorial to test the player's understanding (being put into a specific situation and being required to do something to win, idk)

- - - - -

The Current Plan
As of now, there isn't a clear plan on what to do since I recently thought of this... the idea is still pretty blurry, but has a direction. As time will go on, I hope the pieces of the puzzle get completed and work out. The current plan consists of the following:

• Learn/play around with the tutorials mentioned above
  • Design a minimalistic interface for a good user experience
  • Collate information from fellow competitive players (currently in demand)
  • Implement the script to be created
- - - - -
Program Structure
I currently aim to make it clean and somewhat manageable...
I'm not exceptionally good, but this is the first few stuff that came to mind.
I might not make the thing fully optimized, but it'll get the job done.

- - -
UI FRAMES
Based on the prototypes and discussion shown above, I'll be having 4 UI frames:

chooseModCategoryFrame - Frame where the player chooses 1 out of the 3 mod categories
grapplingCategoryFrame - Frame that displays tutorials under the "grappling" category
strikingCategoryFrame - Frame that displays tutorials under the "striking" category
kickingCategoryFrame - Frame that displays tutorials under the "kicking" category

- - -
FUNCTIONS/METHODS
I'll have a method/function for:

readFile() - To read the bite-sized contents as a string
showXContents() - Call the function for reading text files and present its contents in the UI
playXTutorial() - Basically a run_cmd command to run a tutorial
- - -
ADDITIONAL SCRIPTS
Additional scripts that require minimal-no coding skills to glue everything together:

runTutorial.lua - Provided by sir in one of the tutorials mentioned above
tutorialName.dat - The required tutorialName.dat file for ingame tutorials
tutorialName_english.txt - The required tutorialName_english.txt file
- - -
TEXT FILES
Text files that will contain the bite sized information

tutorialName.txt - Contains super secret Toribash techniques

- - - - -
Current Progress
I made a simple interface with the UI Manager and I also played around with the Ingame Tutorial thing and right now I'm pretty basic-average at it.
The proof (images) can be seen in the Toribash Discord at the #scripts section.
I want to have a completed section before I give out the first release.

Unfortunately, I have college duties to fulfill and might not be able to work on this 24/7.

- - - - -
Want to Contribute?
I am mainly looking for really good players who can write about a mod's fundamentals and whatnot.
I am also looking for a name for this project... I initially planned on calling it "Toribash META Assistant", got anything better in mind?
I look forward to collaborating with duelers and other Toribashians for this project to succeed.

Feel free to post any suggestions below! Cheers!
Last edited by Karstnator; Jan 2, 2022 at 05:17 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toribash Season 1 Rank 3 | Ex-ES Artist | Ex-Mascot of [Alpha]
CLAN LEAGUE 2019 WINNER