Toribash
Original Post
GM or MSquad
So I was thinking of this for a while and decided to become a staff member and do more for the community, not just play.
Thing is, I don't know whether to become a GM, a MSquad or any other staff position available. Could anyone tell me what the difference is and what are their 'roles' in the community. I know most of the differences but still, I just want a... full list?
Thanks
[Gangsters] RuBash
[TABD][Team Australia] RIP[Source]
º°À¾Ç Â࿸´°ÀË º°º¸µ ¾ ¸¿° ¾Ä°½° ´¾»¶½Ë ±ËÂÌ ½°¿¸Á°½Ë
° ÜÕÝï ÔÐÖÕ ÝÕ ÒßØáÐÛ, åãØáÐá~Tarlan
Okay here's a quick guide off the top of my head

Local mods watch over a single board or section on the forums, and make sure the rules for each board are followed. GMs host events and take care of in-game moderation. They aim to keep people entertained and keep toribash interesting. Msquad keep the market running and handle scam cases. Clan mods help run the clan council and moderate the clan section. Sometimes these jobs overlap, and you have GMs working with msquad for scam cases, or clan mods working with GMs for clan events etc... Smods do all of the above, and keep an eye on forum moderation as well as the game itself. The admins help lead or manage the different staff groups, and moderators.

There are some groups that work mostly behind the scenes. TSAs(torishop admins) are responsible for the torishop's on/off switch. They help the GMs and msquad by doing maintenance work to keep the market and torishop in order, also to make scamming completely pointless. Ninjas are admins who dabble in a bit of everything, and are involved with the major decisions in toribash. TSA and ninja only go to people who are already involved behind the scenes. Then you have the devs, site devs and game devs. Devs press the repair button when things break, and the add new feature button when they have the time for it. You might be able to become a dev if you know how to do it. It's not really a forum job though.

To become a staff member, it's usually done by sending an application to a member of the staff group you want to be a part of. GMs and Msquad tend to have a trial period, where you don't get full powers until after you've at least demonstrated you are competent. Since clan mods help run the council, you won't get clan mod without being a part of the clan council first. You can send council applications to clan mods. The council should know not to send me clan mod applications, we just chat about it instead. To get admin, it's the same sort of story as clan mod, because you lead a group, you need to know how that group works before you can lead it.

There are some non-moderating groups that do work within the community, such as the Item Forgers, clan council, bloggers, Uniteam, or even organisations like rubash. Item Forgers create new items that you see in toribash. This group is still developing, as are their tools. The clan council votes on applications from orgs or clans that want to become official, or new members wanting to join the council itself. Bloggers write stuff for the blog and try to keep the community up to date with recent events, it can take a lot of work. Uniteam is for teaching, and aims to help introduce new players to toribash. Organisations are set up by regular members, and sometimes aim to teach or host events.

You may see recruitment threads if an area becomes understaffed. Otherwise applications are generally always open. As for what you put in your application, you just need to sit down and take a second to think about what skills or information we're looking for to show that you're competent. If you're going for GM, we want to see if you'd be good at hosting events. So it may be worth mentioning what events you've hosted in the past in your application. If you want to join the msquad, you should demonstrate that you're a competent marketer. It doesn't matter too much if you've been infracted in the market, as long as it's clear that you know the rules by the time you apply. More importantly, you should say why you want to be a staff member. It's good to see that your interests align with what the staff group is trying to achieve. Information about your belt, join date, time zones and activity, or graduation achievements, can sometimes be interesting, but will not be the deciding factor on whether or not you get the position.

In rare occasions we add a new section to the forums, or we have a position which nobody is applying for, we may end up looking for someone to take care of it for us. In these cases we may have someone we're already familiar with and know can do the job well. If you do want a job, don't just wait for this to happen. Someone else will apply for the position and if you don't say anything beforehand, we might not even notice you. Even if you have to make yourself look a bit power hungry. Obviously if we end up with a staff member that just wants to show off with a bolded name or something weird like that, we don't like it. This isn't really something that I've even really seen. If your motives are wrong, you tend to be less convincing anyway and probably won't end up with any position. There's no special reward for honesty or anything, but if you can describe your honest intentions and still get the job, you'll probably end up getting further.

Usually if you want a staff position, you stick to the part of the community you like the most. Before you apply for any job, it's really helpful if you're already clear on what the job actually is. If you're still having to ask questions about it because there's just a lot you're not sure about, then it would be a good idea to take it slow. Most of the time you can figure out what's involved in the different jobs staff do just by observing. Doesn't take too much to figure it out if you check the forums on a regular basis, hang out on IRC and play the game itself.
Last edited by Fish; Jul 21, 2013 at 03:10 PM.
"off the top of [his] head"
Should have taken you a while to type the whole thing out, aye?

Anyways, tank you very much for a reply, last thing - is Toribash lacking in any staff members at the moment? If so, which ones?
[Gangsters] RuBash
[TABD][Team Australia] RIP[Source]
º°À¾Ç Â࿸´°ÀË º°º¸µ ¾ ¸¿° ¾Ä°½° ´¾»¶½Ë ±ËÂÌ ½°¿¸Á°½Ë
° ÜÕÝï ÔÐÖÕ ÝÕ ÒßØáÐÛ, åãØáÐá~Tarlan
It's more of a rant I will just quote at the other people who ask because it's a pretty common question and it's not always answered well.

Pretty much every position has it covered at the moment.

If you're not sure about what position you want, you'll find it much harder to get any position. Some people send in applications without realising they have to convince us that they'd be good for the position. Sometimes people specify multiple positions in their applications. I don't find this very convincing. It makes it sound like, they don't really care what the position is, as long as they get a position somewhere.

You don't have to wait for a position to open up before you apply. If a position is completely full, that could mean you're unable to get in until that changes. On the other hand, if a position is low on staff, or they don't have a timezone covered, or they don't have someone that speaks a certain language, these things can make it easier to get in, but will not be the deciding factors for accepting you. You still need to be convincing.