Ranking
This thread made me lol. Theory isn't important? How did all that music come to be? Theory. Musical theory is the root of all music whether you like it our not. "Hey, this sounds good" You know why it sounds good? It's in the same key. Theory. Even if you don't know or care about it, it's why it sounds good. Actually going in depth into theory increases your writing, playing ,and improving a thousand fold. No one really cares about people who can play covers but doesn't know what the notes even are. Sure people who have no idea about music might enjoy someone like that, but when it comes down to it, people who play without theory end up having a lot of their songs sound wrong because they could be playing a minor rather than a major, or soloing in the wrong key. Theory is extremely important whether you want to learn it or not.
Originally Posted by Megadoomer View Post
This thread made me lol. Theory isn't important? How did all that music come to be? Theory. Musical theory is the root of all music whether you like it our not. "Hey, this sounds good" You know why it sounds good? It's in the same key.

No.

Things that sound "wrong" can actually sound good in some people's ears if done in a certain way.
If I would write my songs down they would probably be full of "wrong" chords that shouldn't sound good when sticked together. But in my ears they do sound good.
Music is a subjective matter, there is no Right and Wrong in music. Especially when speaking about playing instruments, you can do so much with a electric guitar: hit it with your fist, mess up with the mic selectors and tone knobs, tune a string while playing it, tune it in a funny way (my 4th and 5th string are both in the same tuning), add or take away strings(my guitar only has 5) etc. etc.
I agree that most of my favorite songs are based on musical theory and I understand that It's helpful if one wants to be a good (in the traditional sense) guitar player. To the orginal poster if you want to play songs of othe people then learn theory learn chords learn to read notes.

My way is different than most people's but I like my guitar playing chaotic and odd. Im not saying my way is the best way I'm just saying that there is an alternative to the traditional guitar playing.

I'm in the process of learning a few more complex chord to add to my E,C,D,G,A to be able to play in my two man lonely rider country project.
I guess that makes me contradict myself.

Guitar playing should be fun do whatever you want as long as you're enjoying it.

EDIT: I'll make it short. Theory is really helpful but you can play guitar without it. All your guitar playing idols who made you pick the guitar up in the first place probably know theory, that is thing worth thinking about.
I like unusual stuff that most people think that is just noise so there isn't actually much sense in listening to me on the subject of guitar playing.
Last edited by DaBandito; Oct 3, 2009 at 09:14 AM.
Originally Posted by hoho123 View Post

I Want To ManBreakfast Massage Me When He Massage I Will Pay

Kreator for instance. Milles thought of theory was pretty fucked especially during his solos. Like on Total Death or the last solo too the song Terminator by Magnus. Sure there is theory, but learning traditional theory only limits you. Like a lot of Baroque artists. I'm not saying they all sound the same. Major scales don't sound so cool.
Originally Posted by DaBandito View Post
No.

Things that sound "wrong" can actually sound good in some people's ears if done in a certain way.
If I would write my songs down they would probably be full of "wrong" chords that shouldn't sound good when sticked together. But in my ears they do sound good.
Music is a subjective matter, there is no Right and Wrong in music. Especially when speaking about playing instruments, you can do so much with a electric guitar: hit it with your fist, mess up with the mic selectors and tone knobs, tune a string while playing it, tune it in a funny way (my 4th and 5th string are both in the same tuning), add or take away strings(my guitar only has 5) etc. etc.
I agree that most of my favorite songs are based on musical theory and I understand that It's helpful if one wants to be a good (in the traditional sense) guitar player. To the orginal poster if you want to play songs of othe people then learn theory learn chords learn to read notes.

My way is different than most people's but I like my guitar playing chaotic and odd. Im not saying my way is the best way I'm just saying that there is an alternative to the traditional guitar playing.

I'm in the process of learning a few more complex chord to add to my E,C,D,G,A to be able to play in my two man lonely rider country project.
I guess that makes me contradict myself.

Guitar playing should be fun do whatever you want as long as you're enjoying it.

EDIT: I'll make it short. Theory is really helpful but you can play guitar without it. All your guitar playing idols who made you pick the guitar up in the first place probably know theory, that is thing worth thinking about.
I like unusual stuff that most people think that is just noise so there isn't actually much sense in listening to me on the subject of guitar playing.

Of course it's subjective, but you missed my point completely. When I said "wrong" chords, I didn't mean "wrong" in the sense that you took it. Sure, things in different keys may sound decent to the writer who HAS NO INTEREST IN THEORY. But his ears aren't the world's ears. Even if you aren't trying to make it "big", it will be much harder to get anywhere without it. And you make it sound that theory isn't fun. Guitar playing can be fun in many different ways, theory included, because the initial playing of the guitar is what counts. Now with that said, playing anything you want, random or not, still can be fun, but it isn't the "real stuff" in a sense. I'm not going into writing music because that is a completely different aspect, which can require or cannot require theory, it depends on the listener in the end, anyway.
Originally Posted by T0ribush View Post
Kreator for instance. Milles thought of theory was pretty fucked especially during his solos. Like on Total Death or the last solo too the song Terminator by Magnus. Sure there is theory, but learning traditional theory only limits you. Like a lot of Baroque artists. I'm not saying they all sound the same. Major scales don't sound so cool.

Lol, musical theory doesnt stop at major scales ;p Even some of the most fucked sounding compositions can be rationalised with theory. A good knowledge of musical theory is knowing WHEN to throw in those off key notes and dodgy key changes. Playing a "wrong" note isn't breaking the rules by any means.

You can clearly hear the difference between someone playing experimentally with a prior grounding in theory (take black dog, by led zeppelin, or purple haze by hendrix) and someone who just can't be arsed to learn it and decided to just start playing random notes.

Sure, if you want your songs to sound fucked then don't bother learning any, but you'll need some knowledge if you're gonna write anything that's gonna appeal to others, and it even helps you play covers better when you understand what's going on.

Overall, learning a little bit at least is only gonna do good.
Originally Posted by Megadoomer View Post
First of all You aren't getting "good" or you aren't "good" at all if you don't know chords. Really, no one cares if you can play songs but can't read or play music that's handed to you. All of the songs you mentioned are quite easy, and in my opinion, you shouldn't even be taking on a lot of songs until you can actually play chords and actually LEARN HOW TO PLAY GUITAR. You are one of my pet peeves, I've been playing guitar for nearly 7 years. People like you make me hate the guitar, they pick it up and just want to learn songs, and don't know shit about anything besides "Oh is that the chord from that song?" etc. Seriously.

I've been playing classical guitar for 7 years, and i object to the fact that you seem to think that you have to know chords to play guitar. I don't know many, but i'm still "good" at guitar.
LIGHTING FROM MY EYES
Notes are like bricks and mortar, while theory is like a basic bricklaying guide. Sure, you can just dump some bricks around on the ground, pour on the mortar and call it a day, but people enjoy buildings. A pile of bricks is uninteresting, while a well done building can attract visitors for some time.
i have a totally post modern tattoo of a scalene triangle.
<DeadorK> fair maiden
<DeadorK> if the cum is going to be in your mouth
<DeadorK> it shall be in mine as well
Anyways point being. Is that you learn the theory yourself to become more of a unique player. And not all songs and solos are played in the same key like you can play basically the pentatonic in E under the harmonic minor in A. I know Theory doesn't apply to only Major scales I just don't like the sound of them at all. I like the minor and diminished sound a lot more. Theory isn't that hard to learn anyways. Basically pick a song then learn it then figure out the octaves then find the root note then find what sounds good with the root note also known as harmonizing.